Congrats to Alijah Vera Tucker

NYJets43

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Trey Smith played well, had the benefit of being on a line with Joe Thuney, the $6,493,064,396,000 Free Agent and... oh yeah, he plays in front of the uber-mobile, side arm throwing, Super Bowl winning QB Patrick Mahomes.

AVT had less.  Did more.

AVT is also the reason that the guys on either side of him suddenly look like good players the Jets want to keep/extend.  That's not a coincidence.

But hey, awards are awards and KC is in the AFC Championship Game so there ya go.

Not to mention Creed Humphries as the center... 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

Literally screaming in our Jetnation Zoom for them to pick Trey Smith, absolutely criminal the Chiefs got him and we didn't take a chance smh

Smith has a very serious life & death ailment with blood clots in his lungs... you can't fault JD for passing on him... a team like KC can afford to gamble on a pick like that... the Jets Can't...  Kudos to Trey Smith for staying healthy, hopefully he has a long and distinguished career & gets to enjoy his old age. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Douglas does this he should be fired like so many want.

JD is not drafting Linderbaum at 10.   He is drafting the best impactful athlete who can play football.  It would expect Karlaftis is her drops, even Cameron Thomas, Hamilton if he drops, an Andrew Booth perhaps, or reaching for a WR.

The best thing the Jets can do at 10 is trade down.  

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

And at 4. I just don’t see it happening. 

Way too early to tell. Go back almost any year (or absolutely any year), to pre-combine, pre-senior bowl, and in any number of outlets see who's expected to go 1-10 and who actually does.

• SI had Kyler Murray (1) down at #27. Ferrell (4) also down at #12. Drew Lock (42) up at #10. Others, too, I'm sure.
  • CBS had Murray going #9 (Washington trading up with Buffalo to get him) and Ferrell #13, and Lock #7
  • nfl.com Murray #10 (trade with Denver), still after Lock #7, and Ferrell #8 is the closest of those three, but for them Devin White was down at #16, Oliver #18, Hockenson #19. Oh, and Jachai Polite #29 :)
  • ESPN is locked; I'm not paying for that crap
  • PFF had us taking Jonah Williams #3, Murray #6, Dev White #20, Oliver 14, Polite 21, Dev Bush 31; Ferrell (4) & Hockenson (8), Gary (12), Lindstrom (14) not even in round 1 outright
  • USA Today had Q going #1, Hockenson 38, Dev Bush 42, Daniel Jones 46, Lindstrom 51, and more.

This is only the first random year I decided to look up. 

Yeah it's possible this will be like 2013 up top, but it's still way early yet. 

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Way too early to tell. Go back almost any year (or absolutely any year), to pre-combine, pre-senior bowl, and in any number of outlets see who's expected to go 1-10 and who actually does.

• SI had Kyler Murray (1) down at #27. Ferrell (4) also down at #12. Drew Lock (42) up at #10. Others, too, I'm sure.
  • CBS had Murray going #9 (Washington trading up with Buffalo to get him) and Ferrell #13, and Lock #7
  • nfl.com Murray #10 (trade with Denver), still after Lock #7, and Ferrell #8 is the closest of those three, but for them Devin White was down at #16, Oliver #18, Hockenson #19. Oh, and Jachai Polite #29 :)
  • PFF had us taking Jonah Williams #3, Murray #6, Dev White #20, Oliver 14, Polite 21, Dev Bush 31; Ferrell (4) & Hockenson (8), Gary (12), Lindstrom (14) not even in round 1 outright
  • USA Today had Q going #1, Hockenson 38, Dev Bush 42, Daniel Jones 46, Lindstrom 51, and more.

One can only hope. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Would you feel the same if they traded 10 back to 14?  I feel like that's where his value lies.

Yes, I feel absolutely the same.

There is no such thing as "value" drafting a center at #14. The only possible rationalization is if all of these boxes are checked:

• Team has fewer than 3 (if not fewer than 2) other needs
  • Team has an outright hole at center (or a Wesley J type of placeholder)
  • Team is right now a contender, where this hole at center would likely be one of the top culprits if they don't qualify or get 1 & done bounced early
  • Team doesn't have multiple other high draft picks, who'll likely be high dollar veterans after the rookie deal is up, right around that same time. 
  • There literally were no other options in that slot: everyone else in that draft range, before our #34 pick, will be a bust or relative bust/letdown.

The 2022 Jets don't check off any of these boxes, let alone all of them.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I just wish he didn't end up going #3.?

@sirlancemehlot to continue (because that's what I do; I yam what I yam)

I am 100% behind having a strong OL - everyone is - but imo going in this direction to further that goal is asinine. A major resource used on one then can't be used in another.

So:

• Linderbaum plays a low-value position (by draft pick and pay history, it's pretty easily argued center is the lowest-value OL position)
  • Is a physical lightweight at 289 - nothing like Creed Humphrey last year, at 320-ish - who's probably never faced truly huge men with serious NFL talent
  • That further doesn't play a position of need (and shouldn't be for years; McGovern will be 29 next season)
  • While this team has 1/3-1/2 of a starting team of actual needs or needed upgrades
  • And while the team is plenty young - too young, really - already
  • Coming off a 4-win season
  • Which itself followed a 2-win season

The 2022 Jets drafting a center in the top 20-25 picks or so, with one of our top 2 / 1st round picks, imo is a myopic reach pick on its face; done to further a goal that isn't that important (the goal of improving upon a 10th-15th ranked, veteran center on the right side of 30). The earliest time it might make sense would be with one of our 2nd round picks (or maybe if we moved up a little bit into late round 1, if he's still there at #28 or something). Maybe, but still not definitely, then: depends who else is there). At 4 or 10 or 14? Pitchforks should be sharpened (figuratively speaking).

By all reports he'll probably be a solid starter. Except he's not the last center that'll ever come out of college, and when the time comes that we do need to make an OC change, there'll be other options at that time, too. I've said it a couple times already that the only justification would be in hindsight:

If he pans out like Mangold v2 or better; and the player we took instead sucks; and the other reasonable/value options in that slot instead also all sucked; and beginning in 2022 McGovern sucks again or misses the season as well. And even then, there are/were other options that didn't involve burning such a high draft pick on just a ****ing center. 

I can lay it on even more if you like :) 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@sirlancemehlot to continue (because that's what I do; I yam what I yam)

I am 100% behind having a strong OL - everyone is - but imo going in this direction to further that goal is asinine. A major resource used on one then can't be used in another.

So:

• Linderbaum plays a low-value position (by draft pick and pay history, it's pretty easily argued center is the lowest-value OL position)
  • Is a physical lightweight at 289 - nothing like Creed Humphrey last year, at 320-ish - who's probably never faced truly huge men with serious NFL talent
  • That further doesn't play a position of need (and shouldn't be for years; McGovern will be 29 next season)
  • While this team has 1/3-1/2 of a starting team of actual needs or needed upgrades
  • And while the team is plenty young - too young, really - already
  • Coming off a 4-win season
  • Which itself followed a 2-win season

The 2022 Jets drafting a center in the top 20-25 picks or so, with one of our top 2 / 1st round picks, imo is a myopic reach pick on its face; done to further a goal that isn't that important (the goal of improving upon a 10th-15th ranked, veteran center on the right side of 30). The earliest time it might make sense would be with one of our 2nd round picks (or maybe if we moved up a little bit into late round 1, if he's still there at #28 or something). Maybe, but still not definitely, then: depends who else is there). At 4 or 10 or 14? Pitchforks should be sharpened (figuratively speaking).

By all reports he'll probably be a solid starter. Except he's not the last center that'll ever come out of college, and when the time comes that we do need to make an OC change, there'll be other options at that time, too. I've said it a couple times already that the only justification would be in hindsight:

If he pans out like Mangold v2 or better; and the player we took instead sucks; and the other reasonable/value options in that slot instead also all sucked; and beginning in 2022 McGovern sucks again or misses the season as well. And even then, there are/were other options that didn't involve burning such a high draft pick on just a ****ing center. 

I can lay it on even more if you like :) 

Relax, and wait till next year. The ND C Patterson, who went back, is better.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Relax, and wait till next year. The ND C Patterson, who went back, is better.

The point's more that I don't really care, if it takes a top 10-20 pick to get him. Know who drafts a center that high, coming off a 4-5 win season? The Lions. They also repeatedly drafted TEs in that range, too (3x in 11 years, and two were in the top 10). I don't particularly want the Jets to follow that model either.