Jets Should Look at Drafting BYU RB Tyler Allgeier

4 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I have been looking at a bruiser RB to compliment Michael Carter. What about BYU Running back Tyler Allgeier? At 5'11" 220 lbs, he has a nose for the end zone. Familiarity with Wilson as well as a change of pace from a shifty Michael Carter. This guy looks like an upgrade from Tyler Johnson. Maybe they could take him at pick 68 or 107 depending on draft stock? 

1-4: EDGE George Karlaftis

1-10: Trade into the teens and pick up LB Dean, LB Loyd, or C Linderbaum or Stay at 10 WR Drake London

2-35: S Jaquan Brisker

2-38: TE Trey McBride

3-68: LB Chad Muma

4-107: RB Tyler Allgeier

This draft looks about right.  

In FA need a RG and another WR.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I like the RB, I like McBride...

but three D - in the first 5 picks is too many.

Should really be 1, possibly 2...but O needs to be the priority.

McBride I think is a home run. Is Karlaftis really projected to go top 5? I feel like that’s a reach but haven’t seen as many mocks as I usually do by now. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

McBride I think is a home run. Is Karlaftis really projected to go top 5? I feel like that’s a reach but haven’t seen as many mocks as I usually do by now. 

I think there's close to no chance McBride will be there in round two.

I'm almost at the point of saying just take him at 10 and don't look back.

I know that's not "Value" but if he turns out to a legitimate weapon - will anyone really be calling it a bad pick?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I know that's not "Value" but if he turns out to a legitimate weapon - will anyone really be calling it a bad pick?

On this forum? Yes they would.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets Defense was last in the league with a defensive minded head coach. Not a lot of sacks and no turnovers made for not very complimentary football. 2021 saw 3 offensive guys in the first 35 picks. I hope they pick a few defensive guys or else it might get ugly. 

First four picks in the 2021 draft were offense. Jets D was last in the league if I’m not mistaken. Add a defensive minded coach… I think you will see a defense heavy draft. 

11 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I would touch a RB until rd 5 at the earliest. There just isn't anyone that special in this draft at the position.

We just found our starter who had an excellent rookie year in the 4th round.  Why on earth, with the holes on this team would we spend a 2nd on a RB?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I heard rumblings that Tampa Tom might snag him up late in the first if he’s not retired yet. Jets coaches should get a great look at him at the Senior bowl, along with Loyd. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

We just found our starter who had an excellent rookie year in the 4th round.  Why on earth, with the holes on this team would we spend a 2nd on a RB?

Agreed. BYU guy would be a nice change of pace, not a starter, and a bruiser at the goal line. I’m thinking a role similar to AJ Dillon or Alexander Mattison. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I have been looking at a bruiser RB to compliment Michael Carter. What about BYU Running back Tyler Allgeier? At 5'11" 220 lbs, he has a nose for the end zone. Familiarity with Wilson as well as a change of pace from a shifty Michael Carter. This guy looks like an upgrade from Tyler Johnson. Maybe they could take him at pick 68 or 107 depending on draft stock? 

1-10: Trade into the teens and pick up LB Dean, LB Loyd, or C Linderbaum or Stay at 10 WR Drake London

He supposedly runs like a 4.4... 

I think in this offense, a rb like Jerome Ford (5'11" 220 mid 4.3's) is better suited.... he's quicker/more explosive through the hole and just faster overall...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Improving the defense helps the o. Zach had what 2 drives in the second half of the eagles game? The d can’t get off the field and really messes with an offenses rhythm. If they don’t score on almost every drive it’s a wrap 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I like Karlaftis but I'd prefer the Jets trade the no 4 pick down to the no 11 to 17 range where he is expected to go.

Drake London at 10 would be a steal

Brisker at 35 ? possible

Trey McBride at 38 - Good Luck with that. McBride is moving up the board fast expect him to go in the bottom of Round 1 That's why I say trade down out of 4. 35 plus what additional picks from the trade-down might get you high enough in Round 1 to grab him.

Don't know much about Muma but the Jets need all the help they can get on Defense.

As to Algeier he looks solid and the Jets do need a Bruiser Back to give Carter a blow.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Rachaad White, ASU, seems to be a great scheme fit as a great one cut RB. My favorite is Breece Hall but not sure how he fits. But White definitely is a value pick we can target if he's truely projected as a late 3rd, early 4th rounder. I also like Kyren Williams out of Notre Dame. 

Breece put up the numbers but there is nothing exceptional about him. Again, top 4 rounds are off limits for me as far as RB is concerned.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Depends a LOT on FA.

If they sign the tight end from the Cowboys, and bring in either the guard from the 49ers or the Bears, you need less on offense.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I wouldn't take McBride that high. I do think he's one of the best in this class but there are others I like as well, namely Ruckert and Kolar who we will also be coaching at the Senior Bowl.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

I like Karlaftis but I'd prefer the Jets trade the no 4 pick down to the no 11 to 17 range where he is expected to go.

Drake London at 10 would be a steal

Brisker at 35 ? possible

Trey McBride at 38 - Good Luck with that. McBride is moving up the board fast expect him to go in the bottom of Round 1 That's why I say trade down out of 4. 35 plus what additional picks from the trade-down might get you high enough in Round 1 to grab him.

Don't know much about Muma but the Jets need all the help they can get on Defense.

As to Algeier he looks solid and the Jets do need a Bruiser Back to give Carter a blow.

I’m hearing McBride could get snagged late in the first by a team who just needs a piece or two. If the Jets get FA Dalton Shultz and McBride by positioning #4 or #10 into the second half of round 1 it would be a home run. Other than maybe a complimentary RB I’d like the jets to go defense heavy this draft including an edge a LB and a safety. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Depends a LOT on FA.

If they sign the tight end from the Cowboys, and bring in either the guard from the 49ers or the Bears, you need less on offense.

Yes.  I agree.  FA will determine a lot of what happens in the draft...

But I will stand by the idea that the bulk of premium resources (draft and Fa) should be put toward offense.

I'm not saying to ignore the defense but you can fill in competent vets and mostly later drafts in many roles on defense and keep it competent.

7 hours ago, jetsons said:

He supposedly runs like a 4.4... 

I think in this offense, a rb like Jerome Ford (5'11" 220 mid 4.3's) is batter suited.... he's quicker/more explosive through the hole and just faster overall...

I love Jerome Ford as well. May shoot up the draft board if he runs a 4.3 at the combine or pro day though. Remember liking Antonio Gibson who had a 3-4 round tag then he ran a 4.3 at 230lbs! Not sure the Jets draft a RB that high with all of the holes on defense. Let’s hope he runs a 4.4 and he is there in the third or fourth. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I love Jerome Ford as well. May shoot up the draft board if he runs a 4.3 at the combine or pro day though. Remember liking Antonio Gibson who had a 3-4 round tag then he ran a 4.3 at 230lbs! Not sure the Jets draft a RB that high with all of the holes on defense. Let’s hope he runs a 4.4 and he is there in the third or fourth. 

Shouldn’t have spoken so soon. Gibson was drafted 66 overall in the third. Maybe Ford has the same designation. 

12 hours ago, BCJet said:

Because the offense was lightyears better with Carter on the field and he can not be expected to play more than 50% of the snaps. So, with a second RB as capable as Carter, there is no drop off regardless of which RB in in the backfield.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Because the offense was lightyears better with Carter on the field and he can not be expected to play more than 50% of the snaps. So, with a second RB as capable as Carter, there is no drop off regardless of which RB in in the backfield.

Gotta agree.  Carter would be best served with perhaps even a 60/40 split.  But if we don't have another capable RB, Carter will miss many games.  

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/RB/1/2022

Has the BYU kid as the 18th ranked RB prospect.

I'll be honest, I'd like to do a little better than that.

A dream for the draft is to walk away with the #1 ranked WR, a top-ranked Pass-catching TE, one starter-level O-lineman (preferably a Center), and a RB that can be paired with Carter (who I do not believe can physically shoulder the abuse/burden of being a #1 RB alone).

Something like:

#4 - One of the top Edges (I think one of the top two WILL fall to us, maybe I'm being an optimistic homer).

#10 - Top ranked WR

2nd - Pass Catching TE

2nd - LB or RB or Center

3rd - RB or LB or Center (whichever we didn't get in the 2nd)

4th - DB (or LB)

4th - DB (or LB)

5th - FG Kicker

5th - O-Line Depth (or LB)

All depends on Free Agency and how the Board falls, of course, but today (so early in the process), this is my wish list conceptually.

My reasoning for this BYU guy is not to supplant Michael Carter. That would be a whole other conversation. but you could compliment him by taking 8-10 touches and give them to a strong younger RB other than Coleman or Johnson. 

Jets D ranked last in the league. You go offense heavy in the 22’ draft after being last paired with a 4 win season I don’t see the GM or head coach lasting long. 

With their haul of offense last year, I think JD needs to take 2-3 defensive guys with their first four picks. 

How many defensive starter positions in FA can you realistically ask the Jets to fill? The safety from NO would help. The LB from ALT with ties to the defensive coordinator and maybe a veteran CB but other than that I think you play off Salah’s strengths and give him some young weapons. 

They need starting depth at edge, a starting safety and a starting LB. a safety, LB or edge by the 5th round is not a safety LB or edge right? They are more of a special teams and depth piece I would say. 

3 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

My reasoning for this BYU guy is not to supplant Michael Carter. That would be a whole other conversation. but you could compliment him by taking 8-10 touches and give them to a strong younger RB other than Coleman or Johnson. 

Jets D ranked last in the league. You go offense heavy in the 22’ draft after being last paired with a 4 win season I don’t see the GM or head coach lasting long. 

With their haul of offense last year, I think JD needs to take 2-3 defensive guys with their first four picks. 

How many defensive starter positions in FA can you realistically ask the Jets to fill? The safety from NO would help. The LB from ALT with ties to the defensive coordinator and maybe a veteran CB but other than that I think you play off Salah’s strengths and give him some young weapons. 

They need starting depth at edge, a starting safety and a starting LB. a safety, LB or edge by the 5th round is not a safety LB or edge right? They are more of a special teams and depth piece I would say. 

I'd refer you to my Offense > Defense thread of a few days ago. 

Suffice to say, 2-3 Defensive picks in the top 4 would be a horrible, backwards decision that once again would leave our highly picked QB prospect effectively abandoned on a low-talent Offense in an Offense-dominated modern NFL.  There is no chance IMO Douglas picks 3 defenders in the top 4, the max (IMO) is 2.

At RB I don't want to get a backup for Carter, I want a co-equal to Carter.  I don't think he is physically capable of handling more than a 50% role. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

1- 4- EKWONU (if he is there and JD does not make the pick, I will drive me head through a wall)

1 -10 SAUCE. (he may very well be the most perfect fit of for Sales system of any CB in history and a team identity builder/leader)

2 - 35 - Logan Hall (Prototypical 5 technique)

2 - 38 - Drake London (WR)

Round 3 and 4.  Interior OL or RB

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Suffice to say, 2-3 Defensive picks in the top 4 would be a horrible, backwards decision that once again would leave our highly picked QB prospect effectively abandoned on a low-talent Offense in an Offense-dominated modern NFL.  There is no chance IMO Douglas picks 3 defenders in the top 4, the max (IMO) is 2.

At RB I don't want to get a backup for Carter, I want a co-equal to Carter.  I don't think he is physically capable of handling more than a 50% role. 

We still need receiver, tight end, rb and oline.  Joe D isnt going to think about going defense until the offense is 100% fixed.  

If we have to have another year of a crappy defense, so be it.  This is year 2 of a rebuild and an 8 win team at best.  The defense doesnt have to be fixed right now.  With a young, franchise qb, the offense needs to be fixed now.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/RB/1/2022

Has the BYU kid as the 18th ranked RB prospect.

I'll be honest, I'd like to do a little better than that.

A dream for the draft is to walk away with the #1 ranked WR, a top-ranked Pass-catching TE, one starter-level O-lineman (preferably a Center), and a RB that can be paired with Carter (who I do not believe can physically shoulder the abuse/burden of being a #1 RB alone).

Something like:

#4 - One of the top Edges (I think one of the top two WILL fall to us, maybe I'm being an optimistic homer).

#10 - Top ranked WR

2nd - Pass Catching TE

2nd - LB or RB or Center

3rd - RB or LB or Center (whichever we didn't get in the 2nd)

4th - DB (or LB)

4th - DB (or LB)

5th - FG Kicker

5th - O-Line Depth (or LB)

All depends on Free Agency and how the Board falls, of course, but today (so early in the process), this is my wish list conceptually.

Thanks for putting up the link to that draft site. it's pretty good. I just have a feeling that Ruckert from OSU is gonna be a Jet.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This time next year if Wilson had London, McBride, Davis, Moore, Carter, Becton, AVT, Fant, and a free agent like Dalton Shultz and still hasn’t progressed more I would say that’s a QB problem no?

I can’t say the same caliber starters for the defense other than Q, maybe Mosley. 

I can agree with you that Carter can’t be a bell cow and needs to split time. So maybe best be available in the third instead of Muma? Id hate to see McBride or a starting safety not be picked in the second for a time share RB. 

• Upvote 1