I just met Tanny

Vudu

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If you want to knock Mangini as a HC that's fine but you can't deny he and Tanny built a good solid defense and an above average OL where both they and Rex failed was at the skill positions

They were 18th in points and 16th in yards.  If you see that as a good solid defense, I can't help you.  I think they replaced 4 starters from 2008 to 2009 and Ellis, Rhodes, Thomas, Pouha and Barton, all predated Mangini's arrival.  I appreciate the way he went about "team-building" but he gets way too much credit around here for moves that were fairly obvious.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 1/26/2022 at 4:09 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

So that's all it takes to be considered by you to be the 2nd greatest HC in Jets' history, eh?  A 4-2 playoff record with zero trophies?  What a low bar you have set.   

To be fair, we're all Jets fans. All of our bars are pretty damn low. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If you want to knock Mangini as a HC that's fine but you can't deny he and Tanny built a good solid defense and an above average OL where both they and Rex failed was at the skill positions

Dom will indeed deny it.  He has an irrational hatred of Parcells and Eric Mangini.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They were 18th in points and 16th in yards.  If you see that as a good solid defense, I can't help you.  I think they replaced 4 starters from 2008 to 2009 and Ellis, Rhodes, Thomas, Pouha and Barton, all predated Mangini's arrival.  I appreciate the way he went about "team-building" but he gets way too much credit around here for moves that were fairly obvious.

Those moves were so obvious that we haven’t come close to replicating them at any points since. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Those moves were so obvious that we haven’t come close to replicating them at any points since. 

Sometimes the obvious moves work - D'Brick.  Sometimes they don't - Gholston.   They had a lot of capital when those guys came on board.  Douglas having a solid draft in 2022 will be nice, but with all that firepower, he ought to. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sometimes the obvious moves work - D'Brick.  Sometimes they don't - Gholston.   They had a lot of capital when those guys came on board.  Douglas having a solid draft in 2022 will be nice, but with all that firepower, he ought to. 

What part of trading up for Revis was "obvious"?

How about the David Harris, Nick Mangold, Leon Washington, Dwight Lowery and Brad Smith picks?  All of those were "obvious", too?

On 1/28/2022 at 2:59 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

What part of trading up for Revis was "obvious"?

How about the David Harris, Nick Mangold, Leon Washington, Dwight Lowery and Brad Smith picks?  All of those were "obvious", too?

When Dwight Lowry and Brad Smith are on your list of big "hits" I have to wonder what side of this conversation you are on.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

When Dwight Lowry and Brad Smith are on your list of big "hits" I have to wonder what side of this conversation you are on.

When this is your big complaint, that late round hits weren’t actually hits, it sounds like I’ve won.  

Lowery picked off 7 passes in 3 years with the Jets and had an 8-year career.  Smith was a useful gadget player who had an even longer career. So, yeah, they’re worth including.  A very good use of 4th round selections.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When this is your big complaint, that late round hits weren’t actually hits, it sounds like I’ve won.  

Lowery picked off 7 passes in 3 years with the Jets and had an 8-year career.  Smith was a useful gadget player who had an even longer career. So, yeah, they’re worth including.  A very good use of 4th round selections.

They were fine.  I actually liked Lowery quite a bit.  Brad Smith was a WR that didn't catch much.  I think you are lost on the argument.  My argument is that 1.  Mangini was a sh*tty coach and 2.  Mangini gets way too much credit for Tannenbaum's drafts.   Smith and Lowery were okay picks, but they certainly were no better than Demario Davis, Shonn Greene and Slauson.   

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

They were fine.  I actually liked Lowery quite a bit.  Brad Smith was a WR that didn't catch much.  I think you are lost on the argument.  My argument is that 1.  Mangini was a sh*tty coach and 2.  Mangini gets way too much credit for Tannenbaum's drafts.   Smith and Lowery were okay picks, but they certainly were no better than Demario Davis, Shonn Greene and Slauson.   

K.  Now do Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Leon Washington vs the dogsh*t drafted from 2009-2012.

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

K.  Now do Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Leon Washington vs the dogsh*t drafted from 2009-2012.

Wilkerson probably graded out as higher than most of those.  Kerley and Bilal Powell certainly were to than Leon and Brad Smith.  Nobody is arguing that Tannenbaum's drafting didn't fall off a bit, but the idea it was this Mangini led cliff is overstated IMO.  By a lot.  Remember, they drafted VERY late in 2010 and 2011 and they paid the price for the trade ups. 

The 2008 draft was pretty damned bad.  Keller and Lowery and Lowery who had his best years elsewhere.   They got absolutely nothing else out of that draft despite the 2 firsts.  Was Mangini involved in that one, or did he only make the good picks?