Michael Thomas anyone?

tfine

Personally wouldn’t be opposed if trade was structured similiar to wentz deal.  Where playing time can move the draft pick. Preferably, I would guarantee Saints a third, with the ability to move into second round if he plays x amount of games. 

I would take that. Make it a conditional pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think @bla bla bla and I were discussing him in another thread.  His injury concerns me.  A failed ankle rehab that pushed back his timeframe to return this year is a bit of a red flag.  He's certainly a talent and probably WR1 if his medicals check out fine, but I also haven't done a lot of looking at his fit schematically here.  Would he be only an X in LaFleur's system?

Let's remember that the Jets really like guys who can play more than one spot... like a guy who can serve as both the X and Z, etc.

• Upvote 2

I think [mention=32668]bla bla bla[/mention] and I were discussing him in another thread.  His injury concerns me.  A failed ankle rehab that pushed back his timeframe to return this year is a bit of a red flag.  He's certainly a talent and probably WR1 if his medicals check out fine, but I also haven't done a lot of looking at his fit schematically here.  Would he be only an X in LaFleur's system?
Let's remember that the Jets really like guys who can play more than one spot... like a guy who can serve as both the X and Z, etc.

To play more than one spot, you have to be a good route runner that’s why guys like Berrios and Jeff Smith play over Mims. Im pretty sure Thomas can play both considering his production.

I am not against Michael Thomas, and I would certainly feel more comfortable if he had any playing time without Brees.

However, I do believe there may be a significant opportunity for a team at the top of the draft and that have money to spend.  New Orleans is $75 Million over the cap (how is that even possible?), and they are on the verge of a complete rebuild, especially with Payton stepping away.

Is it a way outside of the box possibility for a team to try and poach some talent due to that rebuild?  The Packers are also a possibility.  

Do you want to build around a RT in Ryan Rzmczyk whos cap hit is $23 Million in 2022, or would it be wiser to designate him as a Post June 1 Trade and save $19 Million against the Cap?

What about a 25 year old CB Marshon Lattimore with a cap hit of $27 Million in 2022, or would it be wiser to designate him as a post June 1 Trade and Save $24 Million in 2022?  

Each team can designate 2 players as a June 1 Cut/Trade?  Between the two they could save $43 Million against the Cap.  (They could convert their Roster Bonuses to signing bonuses and Save about $20 Million, but still begs the question, are they build around players.)

Would you trade #4 or #10 for these two players?  As mentioned, these two players are build around players due to position and Salary Cap Savings and would cost the Jets about $12 Millions per year each if the Jets converted their Roster Bonus.   Their extend Cap Hits would be roughly 17 Mil for Lattimore and Ramczyk is $19 Million per, assuming a converted roster bonus.

Would these players even be a fit?  

I think this type of player only makes sense when you have set a stable organization with clear leadership and some success.  Not a great fit or influence on young team building those key items.  Get to rams, chiefs, buc’s status and the risk is low, with our group no way I would do this, yet. And no way I give anything but a contract and some incentives till then.

*If* Michael Thomas is ever able to play a full season again -- somewhere else, i think you're going to see a very avg WR2... Payton's system/his role in that scheme overshadowed a lot of limitations. Much like the way Chad Johnson looked like lost when he left CIN...  

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think @bla bla bla and I were discussing him in another thread.  His injury concerns me.  A failed ankle rehab that pushed back his timeframe to return this year is a bit of a red flag.  He's certainly a talent and probably WR1 if his medicals check out fine, but I also haven't done a lot of looking at his fit schematically here.  Would he be only an X in LaFleur's system?

Yea I think the injury concern for our team is a valid one. All the WRs you get via trade will have their warts. If I had to rank them:

Ridley - Mental Health

Cooper - Contract

Thomas - Injury

Landry - Contract

Metcalf - I don't think would get traded here and I don't want to pay a Jamal level trade for him either.

Thomas became a diva overnight. He was quite, humble and easy to root for to start off. Then he started talking and **it went south. Dude should of place duck tape over his mouth and just kept catching footballs. 

Then we have to factor in that the Saints statistically play under a different currency then we do. What is 1,400 yard receiving with Brees converted into our, "All Gas no break offense"? 900 yards receiving? 

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Or Mims who plays the Y as in Why is he still on this team.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I think the injury concern for our team is a valid one. All the WRs you get via trade will have their warts. If I had to rank them:

Ridley - Mental Health

Cooper - Contract

Thomas - Injury

Landry - Contract

Metcalf - I don't think would get traded here and I don't want to pay a Jamal level trade for him either.

Is Godwin on your list at all or did you scratch him off because of the injury?

I think Ridley and Cooper are my top 2 as well.  JD really needs to do his homework on those guys if he's really looking to make a major acquisition like that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Why no?  I get the injury concerns, but we’re talking a 2nd round pick, the Jets and 2nd round picks don’t mix, it’s most likely a waste Anyways might as well gamble on a Thomas.

The Jets have been one of the most injured teams in the league the last few years. That's a huge problem we need to figure out.

I'm only looking to add guys with a very clean injury history. I sure as hell would not be looking to trade for a guy who has played 7 games over the past 2 years.

Why are we talking about players with serious injuries ... someone please remind me ... oh ... nevermind thats right ... cause ... Jets.

Jesus .. we want guys thst have never had a serious injury people.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Is Godwin on your list at all or did you scratch him off because of the injury?

I think Ridley and Cooper are my top 2 as well.  JD really needs to do his homework on those guys if he's really looking to make a major acquisition like that.

Godwin and Gallup would have been my top 2 WRs before the ACL but I think both guys sign 1 year deals with their current teams. I suppose Godwin could shake free if Brady ends up retiring.

I don't want to have to wait til October to get these guys practicing, it may be a waste of a season and at that point I'd probably prefer drafting a player. This is kinda off the cuff but my tentative preferences are something along these lines:

1.  Ridley

2. Cooper

3. Thomas

4. Burks

5. London

6. Robinson

7. OBJ

8. Landry

9. Williams

10. Godwin

11. Gallup

• Upvote 1

Most of the reasons players are available are because there is some contract,  character or injury (or all) issue. I dont understand why fans are so quick to think that player "X" is going to be so much better with us when he didnt thrive on the team he is currently on. Example, everyone (including me at times) have an interest in Allen Robinson. He had 37 catches last year, injured, and had a veteran QB for at least part of the season. Why wouldn't we just continue building our own Wr room (resign Barrios and Crowder), not give up on Davis and Mims,  and draft a Wr in rounds 1, 2, or 3? There is something to be said about consistency. 

Most of the reasons players are available are because there is some contract,  character or injury (or all) issue. I dont understand why fans are so quick to think that player "X" is going to be so much better with us when he didnt thrive on the team he is currently on. Example, everyone (including me at times) have an interest in Allen Robinson. He had 37 catches last year, injured, and had a veteran QB for at least part of the season. Why wouldn't we just continue building our own Wr room (resign Barrios and Crowder), not give up on Davis and Mims,  and draft a Wr in rounds 1, 2, or 3? There is something to be said about consistency. 

Because the WRs you just mentioned are not X-factors. We only need one legit stud WR that defenses will prepare for that will allow players like Davis, Moore, Berrios to get better matchups and as a result their production will increase.

24 minutes ago, tfine said:

Because the WRs you just mentioned are not X-factors. We only need one legit stud WR that defenses will prepare for that will allow players like Davis, Moore, Berrios to get better matchups and as a result their production will increase.

I would argue that Davis (or Moore) could/should be that guy. Posters who are more knowledgeable may be able to help me out but I believe I heard a stat of some of the great Wr of all time have not been a part or won a SB. We have made a commitment to tear the Jets down (that part is most to fully complete) and rebuild it with youth, mostly through the draft. One of the major accomplishments (that many don't recognize) is how this team stuck together with little to no drama from the coaching staff to the players. I am very hesitant adding anyone's baggage including large contracts. I feel it makes an imbalance on a team that is developing together. I'd much rather see the Jets build through the draft at Wr and make key FA signings on defense at non premium positions

• Haha 1

I would argue that Davis (or Moore) could/should be that guy. Posters who are more knowledgeable may be able to help me out but I believe I heard a stat of some of the great Wr of all time have not been a part or won a SB. We have made a commitment to tear the Jets down (that part is most to fully complete) and rebuild it with youth, mostly through the draft. One of the major accomplishments (that many don't recognize) is how this team stuck together with little to no drama from the coaching staff to the players. I am very hesitant adding anyone's baggage including large contracts. I feel it makes an imbalance on a team that is developing together. I'd much rather see the Jets build through the draft at Wr and make key FA signings on defense at non premium positions

Trust me I would much rather do that too, but on the flip side this team needs to start stringing together some wins. It’s been 7 years since we’ve had a winning season and 12 since making the playoffs…We cannot wait for a WR draft pick to develop in like two years and I don’t see any dominant playmaking WR prospects in the draft like we saw two years ago.
We should sign or trade for a top WR and draft one to develop.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Why are we talking about players with serious injuries ... someone please remind me ... oh ... nevermind thats right ... cause ... Jets.

Depends how bad it is/was. OBJ came back and looks good but idk the difference between their 2 injuries.

I have a feeling the "setback to the ankle" report was his way of saying his helmet is too tight.

I've said this in another thread.  

Draft WRs this year, pray Jimmy G leads the 49ers to a SuperBowl, forcing their hand to pay him, that along with needing to reup Bosa, and this  just might shake Deebo free after 2022.

Then throw all sorts of money at Deebo.