Jaguars to Hire Byron Leftwich as Head Coach (Maybe?)

The Jaguars have a young QB who needs some solid NFL offensive nurturing and support. 

Shah and the Jaguars are coming off of a history of hiring grumpy, middle-aged and recently morally compromised white guys as HC.  

I think the Jaguars need to give Leftwich a chance.  He is a great OC, learned from a great HC and QB, and can't be worse than Urban Meyer.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jaguars have a young QB who needs some solid NFL offensive nurturing and support. 

Shah and the Jaguars are coming off of a history of hiring grumpy, middle-aged and recently morally compromised white guys as HC.  

I think the Jaguars need to give Leftwich a chance.  He is a great OC, learned from a great HC and QB, and can't be worse than Urban Meyer.  

I think Leftwich has earned himself a chance but I can't imagine it's too difficult looking like a good OC with Tom Brady and all the weapons they had. There was once an offensive coordinator in Denver who's offense looked great with an end of career Peyton Manning.

Being a former QB himself I think gives him a better chance of grooming a young QB.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think Leftwich has earned himself a chance but I can't imagine it's too difficult looking like a good OC with Tom Brady and all the weapons they had. There was once an offensive coordinator in Denver who's offense looked great with an end of career Peyton Manning.

Being a former QB himself I think gives him a better chance of grooming a young QB.

Agreed, but the big challenge these first time coaches run into are assembling a quality staff. If they have the internal strength to handle a previous head coach on their staff who they dont feel is a threat to them or their position, that is huge.   Personally wish Saleh had some more gray hair coaches mixed in his inexperienced staff.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Wit said:

He was fired along with the rest of the crew from the cardinals in 2018, and with good players he looks good. Any great coach needs great players to succeed unless they are Sean Payton or BB. 

News flash:  Sean Payton and Bill Belichick need some great players to succeed too.  

And even then, as I noted above in my previous post, Leftwich’s offenses did pretty well even when he wasn’t paired with great QBs.  The only QB he “failed” with was that raging a$$hole Josh Rosen, who no one has been able to succeed with. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetpain said:

Agreed, but the big challenge these first time coaches run into are assembling a quality staff. If they have the internal strength to handle a previous head coach on their staff who they dont feel is a threat to them or their position, that is huge.   Personally wish Saleh had some more gray hair coaches mixed in his inexperienced staff.  

Agree 100%… with Tampa likely taking a step back with Brady being the unknown I could see him being able to attract some of those he has worked closest with to move the few hundred miles, keep the same tax bracket and have a chance to work with Lawrence and a really young team.  But they will absolutely draft an OL with first pick.  As much as our guy got hit Lawrence had the same issues.

Hire zimmer (and his beautiful girlfriend) as def co and that’s not a bad group.

9 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Jury is still out and I may completely eat crow on this take but I feel much better about our coaching staff in place than most of the options available this go around.  I mean the top candidates seem to be Dan Quinn a retread who yes, got to a super bowl but was really bad in the last few years in ATL.  Brian Flores - another retread who while many believe got a raw deal in Miami, certainly has some red flags based on what's come out of Miami.  And Brian Daboll, someone we interviewed last year and didn't even make it to the second rd. the biggest unknown and yes, gets a ton of credit for the Buffalo offense but is it him or Josh Allen?  Again,  any of these guys could end up being great but based on resume I feel better about our coaching staff right now.

With you 1000% percent

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, slats said:

I’ll be very happy for Leftwich is he gets the job and has success. He’s worked a long time towards this. 

He's learned a lot under Bruce Arians, both with the Cardinals and the Bucs.  He was the QB coach in Arizona from '17 to '18 and then became interim OC.  When Bruce came out of retirement to coach the Bucs and Tom Brady it was Byron Leftwich as his top candidate for OC.  That says a lot to bring in a guy who is still somewhat green with just a few years of experience to run an offense with arguably the best QB of all time.  Brady respects him and Leftwich has a Super Bowl ring.  His time is now to be a HC.  But he'll have a heavy lift to do in Jacksonville.  Trevor is really the only attractive part of that situation.

• Upvote 2