How many NFL owners will actually be willing to trade for Watson?

slimjasi

Forget the accusations. This guy reneged on his contract, and abandoned his teamates. I don't give a s..  how dysfunctional of an organization they are. He knew that when he signed the deal. I feel so sorry for him , has to play for the Texans at what, 18 mil a year. Pity poor DeShawn 

5 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Vick served time in prison let it go.

Nah..

That's not really the point.  I think the guy should be able to go on with life.  Not telling him not to.  Heck, even when he came back to play football, no real issue.  NFL QB was his career.  TV analyst wasn't.

I'm sure there are plenty of talented, worthy, former NFL football stars that would love that job, be good at that job and didn't serially and brutally murder dogs...

2 hours ago, football guy said:

• Denver receives Kirk Cousins from Minnesota for what would likely be (2) second-round picks
  • Minnesota receives Deshaun Watson from Houston for what would likely be (3) first-round picks and (2) third-round picks OR (2) first-round picks and (2) second round picks
  • Houston receives picks via Minnesota. 

In that scenario, Minnesota moves forward with a new GM-HC-QB, Denver gets their QB, and Houston gets what they want + added bonus of trading Deshaun to the NFC. 

I can not fathom any team paying three 1st round picks plus more for Watson as things stand.  Unless the NFL definitively clears him, that seems like a pipe dream for HOU.  Maybe a high first or equivalent in picks/players.  Beyond that, the risk seems way too high.  Nobody wants to be the GM who trades for a player who gets suspended before he even takes a snap.  

But then again, nobody wants to be the GM who trades two 1st rounders for a Safety and yet...there you go.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Fun thing to ponder. He holds some cards, but at the same time he doesn't. If teams he wants to go to refuse to trade for him (i.e. MIA, NYG), then he's going to find himself begging for a team to do so, but then HOU won't trade him without a team meeting their asking price... bottom-line it could get weird. 

One team who I still think will try to trade for him is the Carolina Panthers, but they're a mess right now and they don't have enough draft capital. Would Deshaun waive his no-trade clause to go there?

I think the favorite as it stands today is Denver because they will have enough capital, have the need, and have shown a desire to acquire a veteran franchise QB, but what happens if Deshaun favors another organization for some unforeseen reason? One scenario I haven't ruled out is a 3-team trade between DEN-MIN-HOU... 

• Denver receives Kirk Cousins from Minnesota for what would likely be (2) second-round picks
  • Minnesota receives Deshaun Watson from Houston for what would likely be (3) first-round picks and (2) third-round picks OR (2) first-round picks and (2) second round picks
  • Houston receives picks via Minnesota. 

In that scenario, Minnesota moves forward with a new GM-HC-QB, Denver gets their QB, and Houston gets what they want + added bonus of trading Deshaun to the NFC. 

Minny would be awesome in terms of jets fans. It’s couldn’t affect us less, unless we somehow played them in a SB

Too bad for Watson that James Dolan doesn't own a franchise. He hired back Isiah Thomas to be the President of his WNBA team, after the guy cost him $11 million in a sexual harassment suit when he was "running" the Knicks (into the ground). He'd trade for Watson in a second, especially if he overpaid. :puke:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Nothing can happen until the criminal and civil cases are resolved.  A suspension now will mean nothing if he is found guilty or pleads guilty to some offense or loses a civil case to one of the claimants/victims.  No owner in his/her right mind trades for Watson until this matter is resolved and his culpability and playing status is determined.  

A suspension that starts now is much, much, much more likely to end before that starts 1 year from now barring time travel is invented between now and then. 

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Meanwhile Mike Vick is now doing national pre-games shows.

The NFL has no moral compass at all...

And Ray Lewis did one also so anything is possible 

NFL and TV partners have no moral compass at all 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah..

That's not really the point.  I think the guy should be able to go on with life.  Not telling him not to.  Heck, even when he came back to play football, no real issue.  NFL QB was his career.  TV analyst wasn't.

I'm sure there are plenty of talented, worthy, former NFL football stars that would love that job, be good at that job and didn't serially and brutally murder dogs...

Maybe I’m remembering the Vick thing wrong, but while still bad didn’t the dog fighting ring take place at one of his houses and he wasn’t really involved besides that?

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah..

You cant play football forever. I dont agree with what he did it's obviously ****ed yp but the dude served his time for his crimes and to keep bringing it up is ridiculous. People can be reformed thats what prison is suppose to do. 

He has also done plenty to help animals since he was released but let's keep harping on his mistakes instead of what he did to change. 

Vick is the devil Meanwhile big Ben will Be in the Hall of fame. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghost420 said:

You cant play football forever. I dont agree with what he did it's obviously ****ed yp but the dude served his time for his crimes and to keep bringing it up is ridiculous. People can be reformed thats what prison is suppose to do. 

He has also done plenty to help animals since he was released but let's keep harping on his mistakes instead of what he did to change. 

Vick is the devil Meanwhile big Ben will Be in the Hall of fame. 

Big Ben should't be doing pre-games either. 

39 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Ray Lewis murdered someone and is celebrated as one of the greatest of all time and in a sick fashion, viewed as the ultimate leader.

Mike Vick tortured and killed dogs, this ******* team signed him and he played.

Big Ben raped multiple women, like actually raped them.  Literally, had his bodyguard bring a woman into a bathroom at a bar, and raped her.  We just celebrated his career, and he will be a first ballot HOF'er.

The Giants had a kicker they knew was beating his wife, and they didnt give a ****.  A kicker.

Leonard Little got behind the wheel of an automobile, intoxicated, killed someone and continued to play for another decade.

As long as Deshaun Watson doesnt kneel during the anthem, he'll be signed by a team.  1000%

All true and I fully expect someone to trade for him. 

However, the media climate is a lot different in today's #MeToo world than it was years ago when many of these guys you mention were in hot water and there is a particularly strong stigma surrounding sexual assault/harassment in contemporary America. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Zero. Look at Mara's comments in yesterday's presser. Think he might have been saying what the whole league thinks.

I don't think zero, but I think it's possible/likely that Watson will have to settle for a team that he would have had no interest in before the allegations became public. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, football guy said:

One team who I still think will try to trade for him is the Carolina Panthers, but they're a mess right now and they don't have enough draft capital. Would Deshaun waive his no-trade clause to go there?

The Panthers?

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

The Panthers are going to trade their already depleted draft capital to replace a guy that you admonished any of us who said he was terrible last offseason?  They're also going to add Watson's 35M base salary to the 18M they're paying the rube we were told was still full of potential and very well liked by our GM, and take on a nearly 55M QB room?

The North Remembers.

19 hours ago, slats said:

I’m really curious, too. Does the league step in to silence these accusers? Do they guarantee that? Can Watson behave himself going forward? Do you give up premium draft picks and a big contract for this level of risk? I don’t, and it would probably burn me. Sadly, someone will probably make the move, and benefit. It’s kinda gross. 

51M viewers watched the end of the Bills/Chiefs game.  The league is probably just fine w/o DeShaun Watson.  I don't see how or why they'd intervene here at all.  Their involvement only hurts the brand.  Houston vs. the NFLPA for his money is about all I can think happens with him.

23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

All true and I fully expect someone to trade for him. 

However, the media climate is a lot different in today's #MeToo world than it was years ago when many of these guys you mention were in hot water and there is a particularly strong stigma surrounding sexual assault/harassment in contemporary America. 

Meh, the NFL doesnt care.  He will 100% play in the NFL again, no doubt in my mind, even with the current climate.  The Me too movement went deep and pulled sh*t out of people history to fid jusice but the NFL dont care one bit.  It's the place of 2nd chances.

Kareem Hunt is on film attacking a woman, being held back by his entourage only for it to end in him kicking a woman, it's on film.  Nobody gave a ****.  They care if he scored enough TD's for the Browns or points for your FF team.

Everyone loves Tyreek Hill, nobody gives a **** he kicked his pregnant girlfriend down a flight of stairs.

Joe Mixon is on film throwing a haymaker on a young woman who was sitting at a table, he recently signed a 48 million dollar contract extension.

The NFL dont care about me too.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, the NFL doesnt care.  He will 100% play in the NFL again, no doubt in my mind, even with the current climate.  The Me too movement went deep and pulled sh*t out of people history to fid jusice but the NFL dont care one bit.  It's the place of 2nd chances.

Kareem Hunt is on film attacking a woman, being held back by his entourage only for it to end in him kicking a woman, it's on film.  Nobody gave a ****.  They care if he scored enough TD's for the Browns or points for your FF team.

Everyone loves Tyreek Hill, nobody gives a **** he kicked his pregnant girlfriend down a flight of stairs.

Joe Mixon is on film throwing a haymaker on a young woman who was sitting at a table, he recently signed a 48 million dollar contract extension.

The NFL dont care about me too.

The thing about *redemption stories* is that you need to be able to sell the narrative that someone is redeemable.  If something is a *one time thing* or a *moment of poor judgement*, we can do that.  If the many accusers are to be believed, Watson's actions are habitual and predatory.  And, in that case, even if we believe that the individual actions are not as bad as some of the others, the lack of an *I made a mistake* narrative makes this an incredibly tough sell.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

The thing about *redemption stories* is that you need to be able to sell the narrative that someone is redeemable.  If something is a *one time thing* or a *moment of poor judgement*, we can do that.  If the many accusers are to be believed, Watson's actions are habitual and predatory.  And, in that case, even if we believe that the individual actions are not as bad as some of the others, the lack of an *I made a mistake* narrative makes this an incredibly tough sell.

Multiple women came forward about Big Ben rapping them, years apart from each other.  He settled.  Nobody cared/s   In fact, to the point that Brian Griese defended him on his last MNF game.  This league is ******* disgusting.

“Ben was immature at times. He made mistakes. And this fan base loves him & will always support him”
— #MNFonESPN Announcers

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Multiple women came forward about Big Ben rapping them, years apart from each other.  He settled.  Nobody cared/s   In fact, to the point that Brian Griese defended him on his last MNF game.  This league is ******* disgusting.

“Ben was immature at times. He made mistakes. And this fan base loves him & will always support him”
— #MNFonESPN Announcers

Yeah, sadly it comes down to "can you produce". I think Ray Rice's career tanked around his incident...that's also when he looked a half step slower and wasn't the same player. It seems pretty arbitrary sometimes but I think it boils down to "can you help my team". Vick went to prison and came back.

The one who maybe could've helped teams and hasn't come back is Kaepernick but I think that's as much about him being a fringe starter as anything. Maybe not.

I said it a year ago, I’ll say it again. If Watson plays another game in the NFL it will be for HOU. The best thing for both of them is to reconcile their differences and go forward. Hou will never get good value on him with all the allegations and Watson will never play if they don’t trade him, so reconciling is the only solution.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

I said it a year ago, I’ll say it again. If Watson plays another game in the NFL it will be for HOU. The best thing for both of them is to reconcile their differences and go forward. Hou will never get good value on him with all the allegations and Watson will never play if they don’t trade him, so reconciling is the only solution.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree. It's the only place they could sell it. Maybe.

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, sadly it comes down to "can you produce". I think Ray Rice's career tanked around his incident...that's also when he looked a half step slower and wasn't the same player. It seems pretty arbitrary sometimes but I think it boils down to "can you help my team". Vick went to prison and came back.

The one who maybe could've helped teams and hasn't come back is Kaepernick but I think that's as much about him being a fringe starter as anything. Maybe not.

Not trying to open up a can of worms but there is a reason why the NFL settled with Kaep and Reid, and it had absolutely nothing to do with their ability to play.  They both 100% belonged in the league and there is a reason the league settled, and this is a league who has a decorated history of decimating cases against them, especially claims brought by players.

20 hours ago, slimjasi said:

There has been a lot of speculation on this board about where Watson will end up. John Mara (NYG co-owner) flat out said today that the Giants weren't interested and brought up the allegations against him as a chief reason why. 

My question is - which owners will actually be willing to deal with the media headache that bringing in an accused serial predator entails? Could this be a very short list? Is it possible he will be blackballed for at least another year? 

I'm not convinced the market for Watson is going to be anywhere near as big as previously thought. 

Nada GIF - Nada Thomas - Discover & Share GIFs