Jump to content

Are the stars aligning for Sean Payton to the Jets?


NYJets43
 Share

Recommended Posts

Heard on local radio so that caveat but point was to look at Payton’s coaching career with hof qb and mccarthy’s with same level of qb.  You won’t find any difference according to host but one is somehow dramatically placed higher than the other.  No idea why other than New Orleans being a smaller brand and thus not viewed with same scrutiny.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Payton: 15 yrs. 152-89 (.631). 7 div. titles. 4 losing yrs. 9 playoff teams. 9-8 (.529). 3 NFC Champ. games (1-2). 1 Super Bowl title.

McCarthy: 15 yrs. 143-92-2 (.608). 7 div. titles. 4 losing yrs. 10 playoff teams. 10-9 (.526). 4 NFC Champ. games (1-3). 1 Super Bowl title.
 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, OMA said:

Payton: 15 yrs. 152-89 (.631). 7 div. titles. 4 losing yrs. 9 playoff teams. 9-8 (.529). 3 NFC Champ. games (1-2). 1 Super Bowl title.

McCarthy: 15 yrs. 143-92-2 (.608). 7 div. titles. 4 losing yrs. 10 playoff teams. 10-9 (.526). 4 NFC Champ. games (1-3). 1 Super Bowl title.
 

 

It’s funny how narratives and perceptions work.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas aren't going anywhere.

The team is going to show progress next year and there won't be a discussion of replacing either.  

1000%. It amazes me how little patience fans have in a true rebuild. The Jets looked significantly better the second half of the year and were decimated by injury. If fans cannot see progress then they have another agenda

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why don’t you put the same time and energy into hoping that JD and Saleh work out instead of the hoops you want to throw yourself through while hoping they fail. 

Both are wasted energy.  We aren't getting him and Saleh is obviously a fraud. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

1000%. It amazes me how little patience fans have in a true rebuild. The Jets looked significantly better the second half of the year and were decimated by injury. If fans cannot see progress then they have another agenda

This site has more trolls than fans.  Many work in the media business.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

If Woody wants to win over Jets fans he gets it done.
 

I’m assuming Payton is going to sit out this season. At that point the Jets can have both the GM and HC position available and give Sean full control. 
 

Get ready for a lot of Sean Payton speculation  over the next 12 months. 

I'm more of a Jim Harbaugh fan. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the guy who stepped down in NO because he doesn't want to go through a rebuild is going to go to NYJ or NYG ... to go through a rebuild?

Guy won't be coaching in 2022 IMHO. He's burned out and he knows it, needs to step back for a bit.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No chance but Joe D should call about Kamara. We have picks, cap space and need playmaker.  They have no QB, no HC and need picks+cap space. Kamara and Carter in this scheme would make life a lot easier on Zach 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

1000%. It amazes me how little patience fans have in a true rebuild. The Jets looked significantly better the second half of the year and were decimated by injury. If fans cannot see progress then they have another agenda

Its not patience.  They do not understand what a rebuild is.  They think because you finish 4-12 and draft a qb that means you are rebuilding.

Robert Saleh said it in a press conference.  He called out Jet fans stating they do not understand what is going on.

This is the 1st ground up rebuild this franchise has ever done.  This is being built slowly and through the draft. The goal is "long term success" not "make the playoffs 1 or 2 years then another 10 years of misery". We will have the youngest team in the league and play more rookies then any other team next year.  And Saleh will still get us to 7 or 8 wins.

And then 2023 comes around.  Watch out!!  No one is going to want to play this football team.  Will will challenge the Bills for the AFC East title and be playing in the postseason.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Kind of like how sure we all were that Parcells, a better HC, would take over a 1 win Jets team.

‘Leaving a team he had just been to the SB with?

Par$ells was a tad different.  He is a Jersey guy and lets not underestimate his level of spite.  Being able to stick it to Robert Kraft twice year was probably an additional factor.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, doitny said:

Parcells was different. he was the only HC to love to change losing teams. he is the real GOAT. not Belichick.

he went to NE who was losing with Hugh Millen at QB.

he came here with Neil O donnell. and a 1-15 team

went to Dallas with Quincy Carter as his QB.

if Sean Payton wanted that he would have stayed in NO.

Well we know that now.  But we don’t know that Payton would only go to a winning team.  This is the first time he’s free to choose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, OMA said:

Heard on local radio so that caveat but point was to look at Payton’s coaching career with hof qb and mccarthy’s with same level of qb.  You won’t find any difference according to host but one is somehow dramatically placed higher than the other.  No idea why other than New Orleans being a smaller brand and thus not viewed with same scrutiny.

McCarthy's legacy took a big hit when the word got out that Aaron Rodgers thought he was a buffoon. 

But the thing about Rodgers is he seems to not get along with very many people, including his own family, so I'm not sure how much weight that carries. 

McCarthy seems past it now, but the fact that his coaching career is virtually identical to Sean Payton's is pretty fascinating because you would never guess it from the way people talk about him. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

1000%. It amazes me how little patience fans have in a true rebuild. The Jets looked significantly better the second half of the year and were decimated by injury. If fans cannot see progress then they have another agenda

The problem is that you have fans who have been watching this team for 30, 40, and 50 years. The older you get, the more cynical you get about "rebuilds."

It's not fair, but Saleh and Wilson get anger taken out on them that has been built up over decades. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, OMA said:

Heard on local radio so that caveat but point was to look at Payton’s coaching career with hof qb and mccarthy’s with same level of qb.  You won’t find any difference according to host but one is somehow dramatically placed higher than the other.  No idea why other than New Orleans being a smaller brand and thus not viewed with same scrutiny.

As much as I despise Rodgers, he's much better than Brees.  Brees was a great QB but he isn't Tom Brady, Payton Manning or Aaron Rodgers.   Payton calling an onside kick in the SB against the Colts was a massively balsy game changing play.   Compare that to how tight and undesciplined the Cowboys were and McCarthy's demeanor on the sidelines during the Cowboys/49ers game.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is the 1st ground up rebuild this franchise has ever done.  This is being built slowly and through the draft. The goal is "long term success" not "make the playoffs 1 or 2 years then another 10 years of misery". We will have the youngest team in the league and play more rookies then any other team next year.  And Saleh will still get us to 7 or 8 wins.

I agree that the Jets will most likely be the youngest team in the league for the second year running, but that they need to avoid double digit losses. Getting to at least eight wins, so they can point to doubling their win total two years in a row, will be a priority. I think what they say publicly will be designed to keep the expectations lower, but that internally there will be some urgency to put up a winning season. And there should be, because they have the draft picks and cap space to dramatically impact the roster this offseason.  
 
I could see another slowish start as they incorporate another new round of rookie starters on both sides of the ball, but -barring another injury disaster- the difference between 10 losses and 10 wins will basically be about how much progress Zach makes in his second year. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

1000%. It amazes me how little patience fans have in a true rebuild. The Jets looked significantly better the second half of the year and were decimated by injury. If fans cannot see progress then they have another agenda

I said the same thing after Adam Gase's first year as HC of the Jets.  Teams playing better after they are out of the playoffs and have put tape out that they stink to the rest of the league doesn't mean much at all.  

Take for instance the Bills game.  We only lost by 17 points.  The point spread was 16.5.  Jets fans think we played well.  The odds makers already took into account human nature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not patience.  They do not understand what a rebuild is.  They think because you finish 4-12 and draft a qb that means you are rebuilding.

Robert Saleh said it in a press conference.  He called out Jet fans stating they do not understand what is going on.

This is the 1st ground up rebuild this franchise has ever done.  This is being built slowly and through the draft. The goal is "long term success" not "make the playoffs 1 or 2 years then another 10 years of misery". We will have the youngest team in the league and play more rookies then any other team next year.  And Saleh will still get us to 7 or 8 wins.

And then 2023 comes around.  Watch out!!  No one is going to want to play this football team.  Will will challenge the Bills for the AFC East title and be playing in the postseason.

 

This is not the 1st ground up rebuild.  That's a complete fabrication.  Free agency didn't even exist before 1993.  Trades are very rare.  The Jets like almost ever NFL team rebuild the same way.   Drafts and player development followed by lossing and adding players through FA.  It's now starting to change since teams are actually engaging in major trades on a regular basis.  That's relatively new to the NFL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree that the Jets will most likely be the youngest team in the league for the second year running, but that they need to avoid double digit losses. Getting to at least eight wins, so they can point to doubling their win total two years in a row, will be a priority. I think what they say publicly will be designed to keep the expectations lower, but that internally there will be some urgency to put up a winning season. And there should be, because they have the draft picks and cap space to dramatically impact the roster this offseason.  
 
I could see another slowish start as they incorporate another new round of rookie starters on both sides of the ball, but -barring another injury disaster- the difference between 10 losses and 10 wins will basically be about how much progress Zach makes in his second year. 

6-11

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree that the Jets will most likely be the youngest team in the league for the second year running, but that they need to avoid double digit losses. Getting to at least eight wins, so they can point to doubling their win total two years in a row, will be a priority. I think what they say publicly will be designed to keep the expectations lower, but that internally there will be some urgency to put up a winning season. And there should be, because they have the draft picks and cap space to dramatically impact the roster this offseason.  
 
I could see another slowish start as they incorporate another new round of rookie starters on both sides of the ball, but -barring another injury disaster- the difference between 10 losses and 10 wins will basically be about how much progress Zach makes in his second year. 

I agree.

They will remain the youngest team in the league...but...

The rookies from last year - will be second year guys - so they'll take a step...and...

They will spend more on FA than they have in the past - bring some more veteran talent and competence.   I don't see JD breaking the bank - but I also don't see us going into next offseason with one of the league's most cap space.

Assuming we don't get destroyed with injuries this year - Yes...Zach's evolution will determine wether or not we're playing meaningful games in Dec.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

why?  i mean payton is certainly one of the better coaches in the nfl but maybe he's a little burned out?  and does anyone think the jets would be a bigger draw for him than the giaints?  plus we gotta give saleh time.  shanahan and mcvay both took a couple of seasons to turn their respective teams around and they had better personnel to work with initially.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

If Woody wants to win over Jets fans he gets it done.
 

I’m assuming Payton is going to sit out this season. At that point the Jets can have both the GM and HC position available and give Sean full control. 
 

Get ready for a lot of Sean Payton speculation  over the next 12 months. 

Looking at Sean Payton's mug every Sunday would be even more unpleasant than having to look at the Jets current uniforms. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...