Are the stars aligning for Sean Payton to the Jets?

NYJets43

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

why?  i mean payton is certainly one of the better coaches in the nfl but maybe he's a little burned out?  and does anyone think the jets would be a bigger draw for him than the giaints?  plus we gotta give saleh time.  shanahan and mcvay both took a couple of seasons to turn their respective teams around and they had better personnel to work with initially.

Add Zac Taylor to the list too.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The problem is that you have fans who have been watching this team for 30, 40, and 50 years. The older you get, the more cynical you get about "rebuilds."

It's not fair, but Saleh and Wilson get anger taken out on them that has been built up over decades. 

Yes, I agree. I am one of those fans. Rooting for this ridiculous franchise for more than 40 years. I also (wrongly) felt that with every new coach and Gm they will be the ones that get us a championship. I cant remember a total strip down and rebuild with HC, QB  and GM all at the same year moving forward together like we have now. Let's hope this is the recipe for success. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I said the same thing after Adam Gase's first year as HC of the Jets.  Teams playing better after they are out of the playoffs and have put tape out that they stink to the rest of the league doesn't mean much at all.  

Take for instance the Bills game.  We only lost by 17 points.  The point spread was 16.5.  Jets fans think we played well.  The odds makers already took into account human nature.

I get it Biggs, I am frustrated also. But I would argue that this is different than Gase who inherited veteran players with zero input from rookie and second year players. You almost can't judge the first half of the year as (I would assume) everyone from the GM, HC and down to the last player were 1st or 2nd year at their positions. It is a valid excuse IMO

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Sean Payton called Woody and begged for the job he wouldnt get it.  Robert Saleh is going to be a legend here.  

I have become convinced that this will happen. Saleh is like the HC you would create in a lab. Young enough to relate to players. Patient but willing to hold players accountable by making them earn their time on the field. Has a positive outlook even when everything seems like it is crashing down around him. Totally diffuses the overdramatic NY media by calmly calling them out for being overdramatic.  Understands that schemes are great but you win because you put good players in a position to succeed. Humble but with an unshakeable confidence. Robert Saleh is the coach we've all been waiting for and I sincerely believe that when he hangs up his whistle, he will go down as the greatest coach in the history of the NY Jets.

31Uj4B8Qr1L._AC_SX450_.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I have become convinced that this will happen. Saleh is like the HC you would create in a lab. Young enough to relate to players. Patient but willing to hold players accountable by making them earn their time on the field. Has a positive outlook even when everything seems like it is crashing down around him. Totally diffuses the overdramatic NY media by calmly calling them out for being overdramatic.  Understands that schemes are great but you win because you put good players in a position to succeed. Humble but with an unshakeable confidence. Robert Saleh is the coach we've all been waiting for and I sincerely believe that when he hangs up his whistle, he will go down as the greatest coach in the history of the NY Jets.

Beautiful.  You sir have brought a tear to my eye.  Post of the year right here.  How jet fans dont see this is mindboggling.

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Great post. 

23 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas aren't going anywhere.

The team is going to show progress next year and there won't be a discussion of replacing either.  

I'm excited on what the Jets can do in this offseason.  I don't think these guys are going anywhere other then staying in JetsLand for a long time.

JD-Saleh-ZW are tied at the hip.  There's always a possibility if Zach disappoints and/or Jets fail to make the playoffs by 2023.  That the clueless Johnsons listen to the screaming fans for heads to roll.  That's when Woody goes gets a Charley Casserly type consultant again.  And we get another version of Idzik or Big Mac for indigestion.  These fans don't know what they're wishing for.

Imo...just beef up the OL and give Zach more weapons and Jets will be fun to watch.  8-9 wins...maybe more. 

• Upvote 1