Broncos hire Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett as HC

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Other than Brady who are these perennial star QB winners you speak of? Mahomes got his ass kicked last year. Allen hasn't won anything. Rodgers has one ring. C'mon man!

Understood but if  any of these seven qbs were on the Jets this September you could begin to truly believe if the team gathers enough talent around that QB...it has a chance to compete all the way.

If Brady hangs it up, you are looking at Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert , Russell Wilson...Matthew Stafford.

Yes they have only 3 Super Bowls between them if you don't count Brady but this will change... four of them are very young.

Yes you still need an oline, (or your qb will get his ass kicked, Mahomes last year), defense, special teams (poor Aaron) and someone to catch the ball.

My point is you unless you have a star qb you are likely going to loose to those 6/7 great qbs in the payoffs.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Understood but if  any of these seven qbs were on the Jets this September you could begin to truly believe if the team gathers enough talent around that QB...it has a chance to compete all the way.

If Brady hangs it up, you are looking at Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert , Russell Wilson...Matthew Stafford.

Yes they have only 3 Super Bowls between them if you don't count Brady but this will change... four of them are very young.

Yes you still need an oline, (or your qb will get his ass kicked, Mahomes last year), defense, special teams (poor Aaron) and someone to catch the ball.

My point is you unless you have a star qb you are likely going to loose to those 6/7 great qbs in the payoffs.

Typo.  You misspelled Zach's name.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Always has been true. Always will be true. Jury's out on our boy. If he's not the one we need to find another.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

The difference is Rodgers comes up small in the playoffs. He should have won the last 2 years with the better team and home field advantage and he couldn’t finish one big drive to get them over the top. He also turns 39 and everyone not named Brady starts to decline at that age. 

Meh. The sentence could also read "he should have won the last 2 years with the better team and home field advantage and his team couldn't make 1 big play to get them over the top. Also, in his 39th season, he'll be playing for a third consecutive MVP, so again, meh.

Also, the same was said about Elway in his prime and Peyton in his. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Rodgers and his $35 mil has moved on to Denver.... no reason they would let the best WR in the league go as well.... especially without getting draft compensation for him.

First, Rodgers needs to be traded to Den so GB still has a modicum of control over that. Also, he's already come out and said that he won't make any decisions until Davante is squared away cuz he wants to look out for him. Meaning - if GB ends up franchising Davante, I think they'll be able to keep Rodgers too. So really, I think for GB, it's kind of a package deal. If they end up trading Rodgers to Den, they'll probably let Davante walk and take the comp pick. And I'm fairly certain Davante is only going to play with Rodgers or Carr if he has his choices, given that at least one of those teams will meet his contract demands.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Coming to the Jets has a tendency to ruin careers. 

Pre Jets, his Dad was an ok OC producing ok Offenses for KC.

In five seasons in KC he OC'd 3 top-10 Offenses, a 13th and a 19th, under Marty, with end-era Montana, Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac/mid-era Rich Gannon  (Pre-his OAK breakout years) in his final year.

Nothing to write home about per se, but moderately successful.

Once he got here, he (and our Offense) was mostly trash in terms of production.  His years being the early Chad/end-Vinny seasons, where most years you got a bit of both due to injury and whathaveyou.

Being the Jets OC has not been a route to fame the past 30 years or so (or ever, really).  

Hackett sucking here was more on Hackett than the Jets.  He had his version of the WCO that didn’t quite fit.  Ron Erhardt, Ray Sherman, Charlie Weiss, Dan Henning were fine, then came Hackett 

46 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Good move by the Broncos.

Live in Denver - did not want to see them go the Dan Quinn route. 

Agree, there are so many truly uninspiring names floating around as the core group of candidates this year. I am not sold on Saleh, but I wouldn't bail on him for this group either.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Coming to the Jets has a tendency to ruin careers. 

Pre Jets, his Dad was an ok OC producing ok Offenses for KC.

In five seasons in KC he OC'd 3 top-10 Offenses, a 13th and a 19th, under Marty, with end-era Montana, Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac/mid-era Rich Gannon  (Pre-his OAK breakout years) in his final year.

Nothing to write home about per se, but moderately successful.

Once he got here, he (and our Offense) was mostly trash in terms of production.  His years being the early Chad/end-Vinny seasons, where most years you got a bit of both due to injury and whathaveyou.

Being the Jets OC has not been a route to fame the past 30 years or so (or ever, really).  

As an Irish faithful, I loved him at USC!

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Man what is it about Denver?

They’re already gotten SB titles out of two all time greats that they didn’t draft (Elway and Peyton). They gonna strike gold again for a third time with Rodgers?

They have never had 1st overall in the draft either

That means that there has always been a team worse than the Broncos in their history

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

First, Rodgers needs to be traded to Den so GB still has a modicum of control over that. Also, he's already come out and said that he won't make any decisions until Davante is squared away cuz he wants to look out for him. Meaning - if GB ends up franchising Davante, I think they'll be able to keep Rodgers too. So really, I think for GB, it's kind of a package deal. If they end up trading Rodgers to Den, they'll probably let Davante walk and take the comp pick. And I'm fairly certain Davante is only going to play with Rodgers or Carr if he has his choices, given that at least one of those teams will meet his contract demands. @Barry McCockinner

Why the Packers could move on from Aaron Rodgers in 2022

There's nothing specifically forcing the Packers to move on from Rodgers this offseason, but Rodgers' cap hit and the presence of Love could loom large here.

Love will be entering the third year of his four-year rookie contract in 2022. Teams can choose whether to exercise a fifth-year option on first-round picks, so the Packers technically have three years of control over Love entering 2022.

That said, the Packers may want to get a look at Love as a starter to see if he's worth signing to an extension. If they wait too long to evaluate Love, they could risk him entering free agency with a small sample size of games played. That would make it hard to give Love a solid valuation.

The urgency to play Love may not be the biggest factor in a split with Rodgers. The veteran quarterback's contract restructure has caused his cap hit to balloon to a whopping $46.1 million in 2022, per Spotrac.com. That would eat up more than 20 percent of the team's salary cap space and they are already projected to be $40.1 million over the salary cap, in 2022 per OverTheCap.com.

Cutting or trading Rodgers would result in a dead cap hit of $26.8 million, but it would also free up $19.9 million in cap space. If the Packers are ready to give Love a chance, that extra cap space could allow them to trim their excess spending without getting rid of — or restructuring deals with — too many of the team's weapons.

It would also represent the last chance for the Packers to get a return on their investment in Rodgers. The team should probably unload him for draft capital in 2022 unless they're confident that they can win a Super Bowl in 2022. And given that the Packers haven't made the Super Bowl since they won it in 2011, it may be time for both sides to get a fresh start.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Meh. The sentence could also read "he should have won the last 2 years with the better team and home field advantage and his team couldn't make 1 big play to get them over the top. Also, in his 39th season, he'll be playing for a third consecutive MVP, so again, meh.

Also, the same was said about Elway in his prime and Peyton in his. 

Rodgers didn’t play well in his last two playoff games, both at home, and both losses. I think that is significant. Also Elway played until his 38th year and then retired saying he couldn’t physically do it anymore. Manning played in his 39th year but could barely throw anymore. I’m just saying Brady is a big outlier so to just assume Rodgers will continue to be great at 39 is risky. Look at Eli, Rivers, and Roethlisberger who all fell off performance wise before 40. 

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I doubt it for a few reason.

1- they already have plenty of receivers.  They would have to trade Sutton or Jeudy to make room for Adams.

2- They probably dont have the cap space to pay rodgers and make adams the highest paid receiver in the league.

3- Why would GB let Adams walk for nothing?  I assume they will franchise him if he wont sign with them.

Because off the recent reports that they both want to play for Denver and Denver hired their coach 

12 hours ago, nycdan said:

I don't blame the players.  I just hate the end of the path it leads to.  There are reasons why it's harder to do in the NFL, but I imagine those might erode over time and as the new CBA gets negotiated.  I really would hate to see that kind of star player movement in the NFL every year though.  I think it really hurts the sport. 

Unless Mahomes and TJ Watt decided to meet up on the Jets.  Then I'm okay with it.

I think what causes is in NBA is absurd guaranteed money after rookie scale max extension.  Don’t think NFL will ever get to that level of guarantees on so many players it becomes an issue 

Well if Rodgers really wants out of GB it makes sense that he’d go to a team that would incorporate an offense he likes to run. Plus there’s a history of Denver and Peyton Manning which might sit well with Rodgers a vet going to a team at end of his career. Also Brady just did it successfully. Not saying that Denver hired Hackett so they could sign Rodgers. Plus Rodgers is a west coast guy and Colorado a cool place in the country to live.