Jump to content

Big Ben Announces Retirement


Lith
 Share

Recommended Posts

I guess the obvious question is does this mean the Steelers will draft a Qb in the upcoming draft. Or do they believe Mason Rudolph or Haskins is capable of being their starter. And then the obvious question would be would they draft Kenny Pickett who is projected to be a top 20 pick. If so they could be in the market for a trade up, the Steelers get the overall 20th pick this year. Look they didn't draft Dan Marino and of course regretted it. So our overall 10 or even 4 is available for the right price. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I guess the obvious question is does this mean the Steelers will draft a Qb in the upcoming draft. Or do they believe Mason Rudolph or Haskins is capable of being their starter. And then the obvious question would be would they draft Kenny Pickett who is projected to be a top 20 pick. If so they could be in the market for a trade up, the Steelers get the overall 20th pick this year. Look they didn't draft Dan Marino and of course regretted it. So our overall 10 or even 4 is available for the right price. 

Rodgers or Russ Wilson in a trade.

Maybe they bring in Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Winston, or Cam Newton to hold the fort for a year.  

Maybe a trade for Minshew?

It feels like they have to do something.  I can't see them trotting out Rudolph or Haskins next season and none of the draft prospects would likely be ready to start on Day 1.  This team is still playoff-worthy, but they need a veteran QB.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

To my point, dude raped women.   Straight up.  Raped them.  Nobody cares.  First ballot HOF'er.

I would say I definitely care. 

I just separate what happens on the field from what happens off of it. On the field, he was a really good QB. Off of it, he was a piece of poopy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

To my point, dude raped women.   Straight up.  Raped them.  Nobody cares.  First ballot HOF'er.

I care.

But this seems far more like a criminal justice system problem than an NFL fan problem.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would say I definitely care. 

I just separate what happens on the field from what happens off of it. On the field, he was a really good QB. Off of it, he was a piece of poopy. 

 

Just now, Warfish said:

I care.

But this seems far more like a criminal justice system problem than an NFL fan problem.

When I say nobody cares, I meant the people in the NFL.  Fans can care but we have no say.  The NFL continued to employ and celebrate Big Ben and he will be a first ballot HOF'er because they dont care. 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As with most celebrities or sports stars, I have no say in any of their lives and it doesn't impact me in any way shape or form, so I choose to focus on whatever it is that made them famous. In Ben's case, it's football.

Ben was great. He was better than great on the field. He was the only QB I feared during those early Rex years - and he proved why on that game winning first down to end the 2010 AFCCG. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

It is amazing how this seems to have been omitted from most of the reporting on Ben, his careeer and his legacy.  Multiple sexual assualt accusations.  One resulted in a settlement out of court.  Yet, aside from the mentions on this stire, there has been so little mention of this in the narrtive of his career.

It's not omitted at all. In fact its brought up quite a bit, just not by ESPN. 

As unpopular as it may be, why SHOULD they be mentioned?

One was settled and theres a 50/50 possibility he paid to get a false accuser to shut up, which is what lawyers suggest quite often. 

The other never had charges pressed and again was a 50/50 possiblity. He said/she said. 

And while some people would immediately jump to "where there's smoke, theres fire", I would argue that being a superstar athlete makes you far more susceptible to a false accusation 

Rothlesburger gets more flak than Peyton Manning or Kobe Bryant, and there was farrrrrrrrrr more evidence something happened with those men, but they are treated like saints. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

 

When I say nobody cares, I meant the people in the NFL.  Fans can care but we have no say.  The NFL continued to employ and celebrate Big Ben and he will be a first ballot HOF'er because they dont care. 

 

Agree - the NFL as a whole only cares about how any impact on its image may effect revenue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agree - the NFL as a whole only cares about how any impact on its image may effect revenue. 

By the way, this is why I think it's different with Watson.  I think, today, the impact of Watson's return is a net negative, whereas with Ben, a decade plus ago, it was a wash at worst, and obviously long-term, a positive for the league.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ZachEY said:

By the way, this is why I think it's different with Watson.  I think, today, the impact of Watson's return is a net negative, whereas with Ben, a decade plus ago, it was a wash at worst, and obviously long-term, a positive for the league.

You very well may be right. 

I found Mara's comments pretty damning. He's usually a say-nothing type and he went out of his way to mention the allegations against Watson as a reason for the Giants having no interest in trading for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lol, he is a rapist. Fook this guy. Everyone looks the other way because he is good at throwing a football. Glad he is gone, no respect for the loser. And in my opinion rape is not really a "he's reformed or "gets a second chance" thing

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...