Key Distinction Between Zach and Sam going into Year 2

JohnnyLV

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And to add to the OP , amazingly the Jets are going into the 2022 season with the most stable CS in the AFC East .

Miami - lost Flores 

Buff - will lose Daboll and maybe even Leslie Frazier

Ne - may lose McDaniels 

If I were McDermott, he would have been lost about 10PM Sunday.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the bolded is important.

The offensive line clearly gelled and got into a groove in this outside zone blocking scheme as the season went on.

Less thinking and just being able to react leads to playing faster. Almost like all gas, no brake......lol

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

Sure consistency is beneficial to really the entire team but if a coaching staff has proven unsuccessful at development and does not have a clear plan to develop the QB then is that really consistency you want? 

I think it's a tad early to say we don't have a clear plan to develop Zach.  They had Knapp, he died, they got Cavanaugh then brought in Beck, drafted a massive OG, Moore and Carter and hopefully they load up on offensive talent this year.

I'll give JD/Saleh/Lafleur another year before I say they have no clear plan.  Besides, no contact in offseason so maybe Beck being a free agent coach is part of the plan.  

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I do not see this being mentioned much, but Zach goes into year 2 with the same system and same coaches. This is huge. HUGE

NFL teams keep making the same mistake:

They draft a QB, team struggles, then they fire the head coach and then the high draft pick has to go into Season 2 getting used to new coaches, new schemes, new players, and especially new terminology and new QB coaches.

So whatever strides they made are reset, and instead of having a productive offseason and just building on what they know, they have to relearn everything.

And frankly it ruins QB prospects.

It happened with Sam. It happened with Daniel Jones and now he is in same situation but trying to save his career. 

Next year both Fields and Lawrence will be in this situation.

David Mills who to me might have been the most impressive rookie QB is in this situation and as a lower round pick may not be given a 2nd year chance.

But Zach has none of these burdens. He can work with Beck all offseason who was part of the Jets staff, he does not need to learn new terminology or playbooks, he has the same coaches.... He can just focus on building on what he learned and perfecting it.

People used to say that the biggest jump year to year for a football player was Year 1 to 2. But so many QBs now are being robbed of that.

It is a good reason to be really excited for the development of Zach. He has the perfect situation to build on all the improvement he showed at the end of the season.

It happened to Mayfield and Rosen too. Lamar Jackson ,Joe Burrows,  Josh Allen, and Mahomes all had continuity. Hopefully you are dead right on this. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

This is an enormous factor. It’s also a good system. I think Zach will make a big sophomore jump

You saw him look comfortable within the offense when he got back from. injury which led to accomplishing one of the most important parts of any QBs skill sets, especially at the pro level, ball security, which in turn allowed for more competitive games played by the Jets even with Wilson having almost no talent at the skill positions that had been decimated by injuries.  The signature event being Wilson bring only 15 seconds from beating Tom Brady.  Who was the last Jets QB to play Brady so tough?  Can’t remember.  Can’t remember which decade either.

I think a lot of the progress you saw had a lot to do with his high intelligence level, he already knows LaFleur’s playbook like the back of his hand.  Next year all the physical attributes he has, that were seen in flashes this year, will be on display on a weekly basis.

Great that Wilson has the continuity going into Year 2.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Same GM, HC, OC, DC and QB with the arrow pointing up on a lot of them. If nothing else this is the most continuity we’ve had in it feels like forever. 

No one would ever hire Schotty away when we really needed them to.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

For sure, which is why I've been on record saying I'm great with bringing them all back for another year.  Upgrade if you can but dont force the OL was the strength of the team, and they clearly were hitting on all cylinders when healthy and a bunch of games under their belt.  Continuity on the OL is HUGE! 

Agree on continuity, especially in this scheme I think... Frustrating Becton wasn't part of the group getting into a groove. Hopefully he's extremely motivated and this nutritionist stuff isn't just for show.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Well said.  It's often overlooked, but I agree, consistency is very important to a young players development.  That person in his ear being the same consistent voice, is crucial.  

The other factor I would also add is, it's also year 2 for everyone else in the system, including the 2nd year of the OC.  There is a good chance, everyone gets better with more comfort after 2 years.  Not to mention you hope to make some upgrades to the personnel. 

Yes is it huge for the QB, players, and GM-CS to be back and familiar with each other with that year's experience behind them.  And to grow together from that experience.

There is also potential to have an advantage to efficiently utilize the immense draft capital Jets possess...due to Jets coaching the Senior Bowl.  Their ability to spend all that time with the players on and off the field. It allows them to see how they take to coaching.  How players implement and execute what they learned that week.  And just as important...after spending about 18 hours a day coaching and eating and lodging with them in the same facilities.  They to get to know the players in more depth as people.  This allows JD-Saleh to sift out the players who can best reflect high character and love for football types they want.  As well as best fit their system.

The JD-Saleh combination resulted in a very good draft in their first draft collaboration.  Could be just as good or even better.  The Senior Bowl experience certainly has the potential to make it a better draft in 2022.  

We'll see.  

• Upvote 4

I do not see this being mentioned much, but Zach goes into year 2 with the same system and same coaches. This is huge. HUGE
NFL teams keep making the same mistake:
They draft a QB, team struggles, then they fire the head coach and then the high draft pick has to go into Season 2 getting used to new coaches, new schemes, new players, and especially new terminology and new QB coaches.
So whatever strides they made are reset, and instead of having a productive offseason and just building on what they know, they have to relearn everything.
And frankly it ruins QB prospects.
It happened with Sam. It happened with Daniel Jones and now he is in same situation but trying to save his career. 
Next year both Fields and Lawrence will be in this situation.
David Mills who to me might have been the most impressive rookie QB is in this situation and as a lower round pick may not be given a 2nd year chance.
But Zach has none of these burdens. He can work with Beck all offseason who was part of the Jets staff, he does not need to learn new terminology or playbooks, he has the same coaches.... He can just focus on building on what he learned and perfecting it.
People used to say that the biggest jump year to year for a football player was Year 1 to 2. But so many QBs now are being robbed of that.
It is a good reason to be really excited for the development of Zach. He has the perfect situation to build on all the improvement he showed at the end of the season.

This. Not saying Sam was any good. He clearly didn’t live up to expectations, but changing systems did him no favors. Part of the reason why Brady is so good is because he was in the same system all throughout his career.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, peebag said:

no one ever said that.

Are you kidding?  There were tons of people saying we need to fire these 2 and that they were clueless.

Based on the responses in this thread, Im getting a good felling about Jet fans coming around to whats going on here and how there is a lot to be excited about.  We got through the most painful part of this process, year 1.

Now we are going to build on what we started, coaches and players will have a year of experience under their belt etc.

This is the most exciting time to be a Jets fan since 2011 and the best position we have been in since Parcells was here.

The sky is the limit.  Just be patient as there is going to be one more year of a rebuilding type season to get through.  Not as bad as this year, but a 7-9 win type season.

Jet fans just need to not freak out that we arent going to sign the high priced, big named free agents.  Thats not what you do in year 2 of a rebuild when your goal is long term success.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets get rightfully criticized, but they really deserve praise for hiring John Beck in the creative way to circumvent the offseason rules to allow him to continue working with him. With the Knapp tragedy throwing a curveball, they could have easily just been satisfied with Cavanaugh, but invested in the coaching support to have made a difference.  And while it should have been an offseason move, getting an actual veteran QB in the room who has been successful in the NFL showed they were serious about giving Zach resources.
Sam never worked hard enough to get better. Being an year 4 pro and still having the same bad footwork makes me feel compelled to say that. Accuracy and quick decision-making and reading defenses may be less coachable to a degree, but having bad mechanics 4 years into an NFL program with starting qb reps is inexcusable and that's squarely on him.
This is a big offseason for the Jets, if Zach takes a step forward and we have another foundational offseason, I'll actually start expecting wins next year for the first time in about a decade.

But…But ESPN said there are too many coaches in Zach’s ear confusing him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Yes! and as others have already said, stability going into year 2 is great for the entire team. We have so many 1st and 2nd yr players who are actually starting it's fantastic to have the same HC on down.

Another part that sucks with a new regime is all the "our new HC has no loyalty to such and such a player" or "our new GM didn't draft Zack and probably wants his own guy in here" blah blah blah. We finally get to avoid all that crap.

I get the feeling our GM and coaches love our players and will encourage them and support them 100%. And for that matter, our players seem to really like their coaches, starting with Saleh. No hint of locker room mutiny.  

• Upvote 4

Fair point. Biggest jump is from year 2 to year 3. That's when you should be able to start showing the type of player you will become. 

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Are you kidding?  There were tons of people saying we need to fire these 2 and that they were clueless.

Based on the responses in this thread, Im getting a good felling about Jet fans coming around to whats going on here and how there is a lot to be excited about.  We got through the most painful part of this process, year 1.

Now we are going to build on what we started, coaches and players will have a year of experience under their belt etc.

This is the most exciting time to be a Jets fan since 2011 and the best position we have been in since Parcells was here.

The sky is the limit.  Just be patient as there is going to be one more year of a rebuilding type season to get through.  Not as bad as this year, but a 7-9 win type season.

Jet fans just need to not freak out that we arent going to sign the high priced, big named free agents.  Thats not what you do in year 2 of a rebuild when your goal is long term success.

As long as 1/2 the team is not on IR. lol.