Sam Darnold going down in a ball of flames !

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

All thing’s considered, I’m glad that we’ve moved on from Darnold, but Jets fans talk about him and Jamal Adams more than any player on the present team.

It’s weird 

Why exactly are we supposed to still care?

We got a Top 40 pick and a 4th rounder for a QB who was ultimately a disappointment, but was a good kid who said and did all of the right things.

I’m content. Let’s move on.

No

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

All thing’s considered, I’m glad that we’ve moved on from Darnold, but Jets fans talk about him and Jamal Adams more than any player on the present team.

It’s weird 

Why exactly are we supposed to still care?

We got a Top 40 pick and a 4th rounder for a QB who was ultimately a disappointment, but was a good kid who said and did all of the right things.

I’m content. Let’s move on.

Some people feel the need to keep reminding you that they think they were right about something a long time ago….it’s more important than the Jets actually winning or even being good. Sad AF but unfortunately all too prevalent 

• Upvote 4

Geno Smith is a backup and has been for how many years now. Sam’s gonna be in the league for a long time as a backup. In all honestly probably longer than Wilson’s career.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

thanks - i was waiting for the obligatory - “ i thought this was my 5th grade class fb” comment - you didn’t disappoint

no. the Panthers pay him 18.5 mil no matter what. if a new team wants him they could sign him for the league minimum and just have to pay that. the Panthers then pay the difference. 
ex: if you sign sam for 1 mil then you pay him 1 mil and the Panthers pay 17.5mil
its actually going to be the opposite. teams might call him.

And someone will. Even if it’s as a backup.

Jet Fans like to gloat over how they took the Seahawks and the Panthers to the cleaners over unloading Adams and Darnold. But these deals have an ominous side. Joe Douglas will earn the reputation as The Flim-Flam Man. Nobody will want to deal with him. Remember that the next time you someone stating "we should trade up or trade down" in the Draft. One of these types of deals is something to snicker about, but two in consecutive years is asking for trouble.

People will be cautious in dealing with him because he makes good trades but there’s nothing dishonest about what he did. The Seahawks and the Panthers probably thought they were taking him at the time.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’ll tell you what’s going to happen to Sam Darnold…

He’s going to flounder around as a decent backup for another 5 or so years before he ultimately drifts into oblivion.

It’s not that hard to foresee.

We at least got a solid return on our investment. Which is more than I can say for the vast majority of failed 1st round QB’s throughout the leagues history.

A team like the Bears got dick for Trubisky and he was more accomplished than Darnold.

One thing missing....Sam will not start a game for 3-4 years....go into a WEEK 18 game playing for a 2 win team vs. NYJ.

NYJ will only need to beat this dreadful team to secure a spot in the playoffs.

Sam will throw for 4 TDs 0 INTs and lead his team to victory and our team into another decade + long tailspin to the depths of hell....

Happy Friday!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

The Bleacher Report has published a story naming Six Big Name players in the NFL that could be cut this offseason. BTW more accurately "Big Name" should be replaced with Big Contract players. In that list is Sam Darnold. Bleacher has picked up the Panthers are so dissatisfied with Darnold they are willing to eat nearly all of his 2022 salary which is guarranteed. That's 18.5 million worth of base salary. The Panther hjave very little to gain with such a move. All they would pick up is a 273,000 dollars paid as a bonus and Darnold's roster spot. For 18.5 Million do you think the cellphone of Darnold's Agent will be blowing up ? Something tells me Sam is going to be spending alot of time at home next year.

It's  amazing how people will picj up any little blurb about a Darnold failure. He isn't getting cut. I don't  care how bad he has played, that 18.5 million guarantees  he will have a roster spot. I am sure they will bring in competition  and he will have to earn the starting spot but he will be on that team. Cutting Darnold with that salary is wildly irresponsible. 

7 hours ago, WestCoastOffensive said:

How much would McDonald make today?

Tim McDonald started 5 seasons. In those 5 seasons, he accounted for 605 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 20 int, 6 forced fumbles, 7 fumble recoveries, and a defensive touchdown. His best statistical season, and perhaps his finest season ever as a pro was in 1989 when he recorded a team-leading 155 tackles, 7 interceptions for 170 interception return yards,1 fumble recovery and an interception returned for a touchdown. He was named to 3 Pro Bowls and named All-Pro twice while with the Cardinals.

Was he that guy that did that chicken seizure thing?

13 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

The Bleacher Report has published a story naming Six Big Name players in the NFL that could be cut this offseason. BTW more accurately "Big Name" should be replaced with Big Contract players. In that list is Sam Darnold. Bleacher has picked up the Panthers are so dissatisfied with Darnold they are willing to eat nearly all of his 2022 salary which is guarranteed. That's 18.5 million worth of base salary. The Panther hjave very little to gain with such a move. All they would pick up is a 273,000 dollars paid as a bonus and Darnold's roster spot. For 18.5 Million do you think the cellphone of Darnold's Agent will be blowing up ? Something tells me Sam is going to be spending alot of time at home next year.

image.jpeg.49ed064312db8e5bdf70dc8da5a41b2b.jpeg

• Upvote 1

If his agent is smart, the first call they're making is to the Washington Commies, because Sam, weak tho he has been, would still be a upgrade to Taylor Heinicke.

That's gonna be the thing for Sam, same as it was for Sanchez post-Jets.  They're proven busts now.  They'll have to find a spot to get some "waiting for the new draft pick" starts, or spot starts, and really make something of those opportunities.

The Commies look to be drafting a QB this cycle. but whomever they draft assuredly won't be ready to be a day 1 starter, this isn't that kind of draft class.  If they go with a Pickett, for example, I could easily see a "hold the fort" starter, a Darnold, a Trubisky, etc. brought in to play QB for the first half of the season or more.

Getting our of dysfunctional Carolina and it's overreliance on a single fragile RB would probably be good for Sam.

But it'd be up to him to actually make something of what might be his last opportunity to do so.  The NFL doesn't generally give fourth chances to start to bust QB's.

• Thumb Down 1

Darnold has never been matched with the correct offense.  He is a "stylist" and will not work in most offensive systems.

He needs to be matched with a contemporary version of the 1980's Joe Bugel / Redskins Offense.

Heavy on smash mouth running with misdirection.  Counter Trey, Counter Gap, moving the pocket regularly and LOTS AND LOTS of play action.  Replace any of the sweeps with screen passes.  Fly patterns on the edges replaced with slant and go or hitch.    You get the idea.  

He would do just fine in that case.

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If his agent is smart, the first call they're making is to the Washington Commies, because Sam, weak tho he has been, would still be a upgrade to Taylor Heinicke.

That's gonna be the thing for Sam, same as it was for Sanchez post-Jets.  They're proven busts now.  They'll have to find a spot to get some "waiting for the new draft pick" starts, or spot starts, and really make something of those opportunities.

The Commies look to be drafting a QB this cycle. but whomever they draft assuredly won't be ready to be a day 1 starter, this isn't that kind of draft class.  If they go with a Pickett, for example, I could easily see a "hold the fort" starter, a Darnold, a Trubisky, etc. brought in to play QB for the first half of the season or more.

Getting our of dysfunctional Carolina and it's overreliance on a single fragile RB would probably be good for Sam.

But it'd be up to him to actually make something of what might be his last opportunity to do so.  The NFL doesn't generally give fourth chances to start to bust QB's.

1u7mta.jpg

• Haha 2

I like Sam Darnold and always have.

But I think it would be interesting if each of Sam and Zach Wilson created a log of how they spend their days this off season, going forward.   Maybe they both do the same amount of work of the same quality.  But something tells me that will not be the case.  

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

Darnold is not an upgrade to Heinicke.  Not even close in my opinion.

Heinecke has some fight in him.

Darnold has zero competitiveness and is a quitter…

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2022 at 4:40 AM, redlichtie said:

Some people feel the need to keep reminding you that they think they were right about something a long time ago….it’s more important than the Jets actually winning or even being good. Sad AF but unfortunately all too prevalent 

Some people also overcompensate to cover for how deeply and completely wrong they were about this player or that. 

Some of the biggest Darnold hypesters are now the biggest Darnold trash talkers.

• Sympathy 1