NY Jets' Corey Davis signing named one of the NFL's worst moves of 2021

Bronx

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the objection is here. He had a significant number of drops and "drop rate" is calculated as the percentage of targets that were dropped - so it inherently takes into account that he had fewer passes thrown his way than usual (since he played less games). 

By the way, even if you just look at TOTAL drops (which should be lower considering that Davis played in a career low number of games), he had the second most of his career despite playing in only 9 games. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviCo03.htm

The objection is that if you only play nine games, a few bad plays will skew the numbers and make it look like he was far worse than he actually was.  The article could have been about players who were uncharacteristically bad last season so should see a bounce-back in production next year, but I guess nobody would read that because it doesn't make anyone miserable.

Just now, AFJF said:

The objection is that if you only play nine games, a few bad plays will skew the numbers and make it look like he was far worse than he actually was.  The article could have been about players who were uncharacteristically bad last season so should see a bounce-back in production next year, but I guess nobody would read that because it doesn't make anyone miserable.

Eh, I think you are being a little defensive. He had a disappointing year, overall. Part of that was only playing in 9 games (after having played in at least 14 games in every other season of his career - sounds like a typical Jet). He had too many drops and several crucial drops. 

I definitely don't think it was "one of the worst signings" but I also don't think Corey Davis himself would even tell you that he was happy with how he played, overall. 

I personally don't see anything wrong with quoting his drop rate over the course of 9 games - which is over half of an NFL season. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The drops were a problem.  But he didn’t play with wilson much when wilson started playing better.  Still you can’t believe the coaches liked what they saw from davis, especially compared to how moore played. 

The Corey Davis hate is confusing.

The Jets were drafting a QB and had a WR room of Crowder, Mims Berrios and the Smiths.  

They gave a market contract for a #2 WR with a high draft pedigree. For better or worse he was an early security blanket for Zach and while he had some drops, made some big plays. Not the best year with his injury but by no means a horrible signing.

If you hate the move because he’s not a #1, that’s on you. He’s not paid like one and although on the Jets he had to be one, no one ever claimed that he was.

This wasn’t a one year fix and the roster is far from complete. And I really expect if we draft a WR high or sign one in FA that Davis will look really good in a Decker type role.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Corey Davis is a terrible idea for a number one receiver and was a terrible signing because that’s what he was signed to do. I blame this front office more than him. He’s an adequate number two for the most part. If Joe Douglas doesn’t step up and get a true #1 then he’s simply failing us at that point. Get a #1 receiver, get an NFL level play making tight end and Corey Davis will be a fine piece for the offense. I feel like we were simply asking him to do too much. Beginning of year Zach literally try to throw him the ball every play. Corey simply isn’t that player. 

Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

like when we got Percy Harvin, game plan his first game was just throw to Harvin... dumb

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

“I know right?” 

-T. Johnson 

DentalPessimisticFireant-max-1mb.gif.e6dc79ff507a27823c2270cc4b1d4982.gif

Didn't like the Davis signing from day 1... will be happy when his $14 mil is off the books and we move on. Davis's MO is what it has been in the league and too many people overvalued him because he became the 3rd and 4th option in TN behind Henry and the run game. Henry, AJ Brown, Jonnu Smith, Davis... 

$14mil is too much for a number 3 wr that doesn't fight for contested balls and has a history of dropping the "clutch time" passes. Sure he will do something really good to great in 1 game and then have 3 sleep walking games until the cycle repeats. 

Just hope we get a #1 type and can keep Davis in the 3rd passing option role where he isn't the focus

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Wasn’t talking about money. I know that article was, I was referring to the front office thinking they hit a true #1 for that  21st highest paid spot. They didn’t. I do agree he will be getter next year with other guys getting the defenses attention. If he didn’t get hurt, he may have had a couple games as Zach got more comfortable and Braxton Berrios balled out. Not terribly related but I honestly got a bad feeling we won’t see Braxton beck next year. Hope I’m wrong. 

Yea I'd like to believe we get Berrios back but I think JD will stick to his guns and Berrios will find a higher offer. I'm really hoping that's not the case though.

• Upvote 2

Corey Davis will be fine here. He did drop more than a couple passes but he got injured and was on pace for 1,000 yards. He isn’t here on a big contract and was never meant to be a featured #1 wideout.

The upcoming unit of FA/Trade WR, Davis, Moore, Berrios is going to be a very very good one. Especially when you couple it with the OL and TE upgrades that will happen to further unlock the run game and protect ZW.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

The Corey Davis hate is confusing.

The Jets were drafting a QB and had a WR room of Crowder, Mims Berrios and the Smiths.  

They gave a market contract for a #2 WR with a high draft pedigree. For better or worse he was an early security blanket for Zach and while he had some drops, made some big plays. Not the best year with his injury but by no means a horrible signing.

If you hate the move because he’s not a #1, that’s on you. He’s not paid like one and although on the Jets he had to be one, no one ever claimed that he was.

This wasn’t a one year fix and the roster is far from complete. And I really expect if we draft a WR high or sign one in FA that Davis will look really good in a Decker type role.

Agree,  he isn't a #1 (X/Z) @football guy type of receiver. 

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Corey Davis will be fine here. He did drop more than a couple passes but he got injured and was on pace for 1,000 yards. He isn’t here on a big contract and was never meant to be a featured #1 wideout.

The upcoming unit of FA/Trade WR, Davis, Moore, Berrios is going to be a very very good one. Especially when you couple it with the OL and TE upgrades that will happen to further unlock the run game and protect ZW.

Corey Davis is an excellent complimentary WR. He blocks well and can have the occasional big game. But he doesn't have elite speed, separation or jump ball skills. So when he is your best WR (like he was to start the year) and goes up against the top DBs and even gets doubled, he really struggles. 

With Elijah moore emerging, Berrios becoming a factor and the addition of a real TE and another key playmaker (via draft or FA) this year, Davis will fit right in to where he belongs next year. 

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I agree - I’m still optimistic about Davis here 

the big thing going forward is avoiding injury 

5 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-corey-davis-signing-worst-2021

NY Jets wide receiver Corey Davis didn't perform up to par this past season, and he's rightfully listed as one of the team's worst signings in 2021.

An abundance of factors come into play when signing any player, and there's always the possibility of a player simply not fitting into a team's scheme.

It's too early to tell if Davis will be a complete bust for New York, but his first season with the Jets left much to be desired.

PFF's Sam Monson listed the best and worst 2021 NFL free agent signings with the Jets' addition of Davis as one of the worse ones.

"Signing a player coming off a career year is always dangerous — doubly so when the plan is to transplant him into a significantly worse environment. That’s exactly what the Jets did with Davis, as they hoped he could lead a new-look receiving corps to success with a rookie quarterback. Davis dealt with injuries and only played in nine games, but in those games, he averaged just 1.74 yards per route run — a massive dropoff from the 2.58 he managed last season. "

NY Jets may end up deeply regretting Corey Davis signing in 2021

Monson also noted that Davis posted the highest drop rate of his career (15.6 percent), and his stats across the board disappointed as well.

Davis' 34 receptions in 2021 tied for his career-lowest, and despite missing games due to injuries, he didn't look like the talented receiver he was in Tennessee.

Prior to signing with New York, Davis hauled in 891, 601, and 984 yards in his last three seasons on the Titans. He may have benefitted from Ryan Tannehill's experience and solid play, but he was also competing heavily for targets against the uber-talented A.J. Brown.

On the Jets, Davis was expected to lead the way for younger players like Elijah Moore to develop in the offense, but Moore (and others) ended up outperforming the fifth-year wideout.

Davis potentially still has his best years ahead of him, and he may gel better with the Jets next season. 2022 doesn't exactly spell boom-or-bust for the wideout, but the team will be expecting some level of improvement.

images (1) (7).jpeg

TYJDTY!

JD ball washers gonna be so mad!!!!!!

McCareinsesque move

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-corey-davis-signing-worst-2021

NY Jets wide receiver Corey Davis didn't perform up to par this past season, and he's rightfully listed as one of the team's worst signings in 2021.

An abundance of factors come into play when signing any player, and there's always the possibility of a player simply not fitting into a team's scheme.

It's too early to tell if Davis will be a complete bust for New York, but his first season with the Jets left much to be desired.

PFF's Sam Monson listed the best and worst 2021 NFL free agent signings with the Jets' addition of Davis as one of the worse ones.

"Signing a player coming off a career year is always dangerous — doubly so when the plan is to transplant him into a significantly worse environment. That’s exactly what the Jets did with Davis, as they hoped he could lead a new-look receiving corps to success with a rookie quarterback. Davis dealt with injuries and only played in nine games, but in those games, he averaged just 1.74 yards per route run — a massive dropoff from the 2.58 he managed last season. "

NY Jets may end up deeply regretting Corey Davis signing in 2021

Monson also noted that Davis posted the highest drop rate of his career (15.6 percent), and his stats across the board disappointed as well.

Davis' 34 receptions in 2021 tied for his career-lowest, and despite missing games due to injuries, he didn't look like the talented receiver he was in Tennessee.

Prior to signing with New York, Davis hauled in 891, 601, and 984 yards in his last three seasons on the Titans. He may have benefitted from Ryan Tannehill's experience and solid play, but he was also competing heavily for targets against the uber-talented A.J. Brown.

On the Jets, Davis was expected to lead the way for younger players like Elijah Moore to develop in the offense, but Moore (and others) ended up outperforming the fifth-year wideout.

Davis potentially still has his best years ahead of him, and he may gel better with the Jets next season. 2022 doesn't exactly spell boom-or-bust for the wideout, but the team will be expecting some level of improvement.

images (1) (7).jpeg

TYJDTY!

Is this writer really Baghdad Bob?

The offense suffered big time when he was out.  That tells me he was a good signing.  

The Titans game was interesting. He had some drops and then seemed to psych himself up and wanted to make up for it.  He went on beast mode and got some plays that were highlights of the season.  

He’s a pro.  He has an off-season to think about and work on the drops.  His mind might have been occupied running a new system.   

He can be cut after this season, but I hope he fixes the drops.  He looked amazing at times. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bronx said:

Monson also noted that Davis posted the highest drop rate of his career (15.6 percent), and his stats across the board disappointed as well.

Yeah, these people are idiots for signing him, agreed.

Did you miss the part about almost 1,000 yards and 8 TD's?

Did he work out as a #1?  NO.  Worst F/A signing in 2021?  Hardly.

The nice thing about Davis’ contract structure - similar to McGovern and Fant - is it behooves him to play out the contract on a high note because he hits free agency again before 30 and can sign another big deal if he earns it. And I’m sure that was his intention, given that’s the deal he signed.

It’s a little different than those four or five year deals with hefty guaranteed money we’ve seen where guys have very little incentive to play out the contract.

Hopefully he bounces back.

• Upvote 1

Time for the Jets to draft a 1st round talent at WR we see what Waddle did for Tua and what Chase does for Burrow and Diggs for Allen. A dominant TE or WR is absolutely necessary for a young QBs growth and cannot be substituted for someone else’s broken toy or a later round gamble. JD has to make it priority #1.

26 minutes ago, Bronx said:

1k/17 games = a whopping 58.8 yds per game....ufff!

But that is what a quality number 2 WR produces. And 10-14 per year is about what number 2 WRs get paid.

In 2021, he didn't perform to that level though. But he is getting paid to produce about 1,000 yards per season. 

Look at recent contracts for comparable players: Robby (14.75), Curtis Samuel (11.5), Agholor (11), Fuller (10.6) vs 12.5 for Davis. All these are average per year.

• Upvote 1

The receivers that are considered a "#1" - whatever that means - change every season.  And it depends on the team, the scheme, the QB, and the season that a player has.  Is AJ Brown a #1?  If Davis played a full season, he would have had more catches for more yards and more TDs.  People on this board want the Jets to pursue Cooper, but Davis would have outproduced him as well.   This #1 discussion is just a crock.  I don't know who a #1 is and neither does anybody else on this board.  

Davis was brought here to provide a veteran WR for a rookie QB.  He was expected to contribute 60 catches for 900 yards and 5-6 TDs and was on pace to do better.  Absent the injury, he did what he was expected to do.  Yes he had too many drops, but last year he had very few.  If his drop rate falls between the 2020 and 2021 seasons and he is healthy and puts up 65 catches for 900 yards and 6 TDs, how is that a bad signing.  

And who is to say Moore doesn't take a leap forward.  

And people want to bring in 2 TEs as well.  

There is just 1 ball and so many receptions to go around.  If the Jets throw 600 passes next season and complete 65% - that's just below 400 balls caught.  80-90 go to RBs and another 70 -80 go to an upgraded TE position.  That leaves about 230-250 split among 5 receivers. So how many does the "#1" catch?  If Moore catches 80 and Davis 60 and a rookie/FA catches another 60 and Berrios is signed and catches 30-40 - that's basically it.

The Jets are not going to have 2-3 guys catching 80+ passes like some of you seem to expect or want.  That just does not add up.

Davis was on pace to do exactly what he was brought here to do. He's a 60-900-6 guy.  If he got more targets, he could be a 75-1100-8 guy.  

• Upvote 2

I’m personally not worried about him at this point. Injuries and horrible passing stats were more to blame for his year than him being a good or bad signing. He also happened to miss time when we got the good josh Johnson and mike white games. He was mostly active when the offense was performing at its worst. He’s by no means an elite WR but I don’t think he’s a horrible pick up either. Excited to see what he can do in year two.

7 hours ago, Bronx said:

Monson also noted that Davis posted the highest drop rate of his career (15.6 percent), and his stats across the board disappointed as well.

Yeah, these people are idiots for signing him, agreed.

This is because the QB had one throw velocity - as hard as I can.

22 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

This is because the QB had one throw velocity - as hard as I can.

I think that was early on, when he got back he definitely started throwing more touch passes.  But Davis was nearly done by that point.  He also dropped some easy passes and besides, NFL receivers should be catching every ball that hits their hands.  If you can't catch a fastball, time for a new career.  

• Upvote 1