NY Jets' Corey Davis signing named one of the NFL's worst moves of 2021

Bronx

I still think that Corey could turn it around over the next few years and bring more value to the Jets O than he did in 2021. He played poorly in some games he also made plays. If he’s healthy and we have a better product on the field and potentially more offensive weapons he should play better. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bronx said:

Monson also noted that Davis posted the highest drop rate of his career (15.6 percent), and his stats across the board disappointed as well.

Yeah, these people are idiots for signing him, agreed.

Sam Monson also felt that Denzel was going to be a break out star this year. How did that go?

11 hours ago, Bronx said:

NY Jets may end up deeply regretting Corey Davis signing in 2021

Literally every receiver not named Braxton Berrios looked like dogsh*t playing with Zach Wilson—including Elijah Moore—but, yes, let’s blame all the non-Berrios receivers.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

This is because the QB had one throw velocity - as hard as I can.

Just because you keep saying this won't make it true.

It's not even remotely close to the truth.   He had plenty of touch....on occasion he overthrew for sure and certainly missed some throws...

But this idea that he was always just ripping it at people was basically made up here and perpetuated enough that others start believing it.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Literally every receiver not named Braxton Berrios looked like dogsh*t playing with Zach Wilson—including Elijah Moore—but, yes, let’s blame all the non-Berrios receivers.

Corey Davis had his best games with Wilson at QB - Do you need your own fact-checker now? 

• Upvote 1

I think that he can come back and remedy the major issues of this year for him, drops and not fighting hard enough for tough catches.  Having the line and Zach more prepared to start the season and making sure that CD catches everything thrown at him and it's night and day from last year already.  Get some zoomers and some boomers on the D and dunzo.

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Common sense tells us that a core muscle injury would make it very difficult for a receiver to adjust to the football. And with Wilson issues with accuracy it could explain all those drops. Let's see what he does next year for us.

Not in this case - He didn’t hurt his groin until just before the Texans game in practice and then, after not playing in the Texans game, re-injured it DURING the Eagles game (the very next game) and was subsequently out for the season. 

https://dknation.draftkings.com/platform/amp/2021/11/24/22801484/corey-davis-injury-week-12-nfl-2021-jets-vs-texas-fantasy-football-backupplayers

So that only explains the one brutal drop he had in the Eagles game (which he looked hurt on and I’m pretty sure that was his last snap of the season) 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not in this case - He didn’t hurt his groin until just before the Texans game in practice and then, after not playing in the Texans game, re-injured it DURING the Eagles game (the very next game) and was subsequently out for the season. 

https://dknation.draftkings.com/platform/amp/2021/11/24/22801484/corey-davis-injury-week-12-nfl-2021-jets-vs-texas-fantasy-football-backupplayers

So that only explains the one brutal drop he had in the Eagles game (which he looked hurt on and I’m pretty sure that was his last snap of the season) 

I stand corrected. Wasn't sure about when that injury occurred by my wait and see view. When Davis was playing, Wilson was having a very difficult time getting the ball out at the right time.We shall see.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

I stand corrected. Wasn't sure about when that injury occurred by my wait and see view. When Davis was playing, Wilson was having a very difficult time getting the ball out at the right time.We shall see.

Right. And yet, Davis had his two best games of the year (by far) with Wilson, so there is hope for that connection going forward. 

I still believe Davis was a good signing and he’s been a good NFL WR. He’s just not a quite a “#1” (which is ok with his contract).

If we land another legit WR and Corey Davis is our 3rd best option, I think we are in good shape. 

• Upvote 2

And yet we seem to constantly want to follow this trend of taking other team’s expendable #2’s thinking they’re going to be able to handle the #1 role. Gallup, Godwin….. it’s all the same. These are solid receivers that benefit greatly from having better receivers and QB’s. Put them on our team as the #1 with Zach at QB and it’s destined for failure everytime. If we’re going for a receiver, grab a true stud.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right. And yet, Davis had his two best games of the year (by far) with Wilson, so there is hope for that connection going forward. 

I still believe Davis was a good signing and he’s been a good NFL WR. He’s just not a quite a “#1” (which is ok with his contract).

If we land another legit WR and Corey Davis is our 3rd best option, I think we are in good shape. 

Yeah. I think Davis was a fine signing and as a third or fourth weapon he’ll be top notch   

Get a WR1 and a legit TE and Corey Davis is a great piece.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I liked the signing too. And I agree, if things are going well with him, he's a strong #2. We, for sure need a receiver that a defense has to pay attention to on a down to down basis. I think that happens in free agency or in a trade.  Let's hope Moore can stay healthy. Saw glimpses of an impact player.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

He sucked and the signing looks bad. Why is that so difficult to admit? Because it would reflect poorly on Joe Douglas? You can still be a Jets fan and not think every move is a great one. 

We needed a veteran receiver for Zach.  Who should we have signed last offseason?

Sometimes you do the right thing and it might not work out.  Signing Corey Davis was 100% the right thing to do.  And he will be cut after this upcoming season and garrett wilson will take him place.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Just because you keep saying this won't make it true.

It's not even remotely close to the truth.   He had plenty of touch....on occasion he overthrew for sure and certainly missed some throws...

But this idea that he was always just ripping it at people was basically made up here and perpetuated enough that others start believing it.

My mistake - I keep forgetting how good Zach was.

Davis is the type of receiver that thrives with a complimentary receiver. In Tennessee, he had AJ Brown to his opposite, and we all saw how he played. He is a good player, but like most he flounders when he's alone. Hopefully when Moore is healthy they can help each other out