Steve Smith pumps up McCown for Texans HC (now w/2nd interview)

Dcat

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Art Shell was HC of Raiders I believe, but I think you are asking right from the couch without ever being an asst?

Yep. I mean I think McCown seems like a smart guy and all but I would like to see how he works with a small group of players before I put him in charge of position coaches who are in charge of small groups of players.

• Upvote 2

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-mccown-getting-second-interview-with-texans-all-in-for-houston-job-per-report/
McCown's only official coaching experience came in 2019, when he served as QBs coach for his son's Myers Park High School team in North Carolina -- a role he held while employed by the Eagles as Carson Wentz's backup. 

• Upvote 1

It's an odd choice, given his near-total lack of coaching experience, but McCown appears to be universally liked in the NFL as a "good guy", and it'll be interesting to see if a person without coordinating or any real Coaching experience can make it as Head Coach.

Honestly, it's maybe not as crazy as it sounds, after all, it's not like he won't have a staff of coordinators and position coaches to support him.  As is often said here when our Head Coach catches criticism for this or that, the HC is really there to manage, not "Coach", and to handle large-scale macro-level strategic decisions, not play-calling or micro-level details.

I didn't enjoy McCown being here as our starting QB (ugh), but I'm actually kinda rooting for him to get this job.  For the interest of seeing how it works out, if nothing else.  I like it when folks go against the staid old "must do this and only this" of NFL conservativism.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's an odd choice, given his near-total lack of coaching experience, but McCown appears to be universally liked in the NFL as a "good guy", and it'll be interesting to see if a person without coordinating or any real Coaching experience can make it as Head Coach.

Honestly, it's maybe not as crazy as it sounds, after all, it's not like he won't have a staff of coordinators and position coaches to support him.  As is often said here when our Head Coach catches criticism for this or that, the HC is really there to manage, not "Coach", and to handle large-scale macro-level strategic decisions, not play-calling or micro-level details.

I didn't enjoy McCown being here as our starting QB (ugh), but I'm actually kinda rooting for him to get this job.  For the interest of seeing how it works out, if nothing else.  I like it when folks go against the staid old "must do this and only this" of NFL conservativism.

Good post. I give them high marks for avoiding the retreads and moronic college coach hires.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ditto

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I really like Josh McCown and I want to see him as a HC but idk how you could reasonably hire him over all the coordinators and other coaches. 

Was he deemed an on the field coach while he was playing? That's really the only way this makes any kind of sense.

That was certainly something that was said here, by our fans, while he was here.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

This would be an idiotic hire by an organization that continues to be a clown show. Why would any coach who isn't desperate for a gig join that staff? How can anyone respect him as their boss?

I'm sure you're aware that in almost every business field, "Outsiders" are brought in from time to time, people lacking direct experience in that area, but who are perceived to posses the core skills, charisma, leadership ability, whathaveyou needed to not only fill the role, but perhaps shake things up and/or change a culture. 

I have no doubt that McCown could coach QB's and design an Offense and call plays.    He's reportedly very smart, reportedly has been a "playing QB Coach" in many of his later stops.

And Coaches will coach under him, because there are only so many coaching jobs in the NFL, and because they'll get opportunity to shine under a noob McCown in ways they might not under more established Head Coaches.  Lord knows, McCown isn't going to take playcalling away from his new OCo, for example.

Again, not as crazy as it first appears.  Will it work?  Who knows, most Coaches, including veteran assistants, don't wind up working.  Is it worth a shot?  Why not, for the lols if nothing else.  Not our problem, so sit back and enjoy it, lol.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm sure you're aware that in almost every business field, "Outsiders" are brought in from time to time, people lacking direct experience in that area, but who are perceived to posses the core skills, charisma, leadership ability, whathaveyou needed to not only fill the role, but perhaps shake things up and/or change a culture. 

I have no doubt that McCown could coach QB's and design an Offense and call plays.    He's reportedly very smart, reportedly has been a "playing QB Coach" in many of his later stops.

And Coaches will coach under him, because there are only so many coaching jobs in the NFL, and because they'll get opportunity to shine under a noob McCown in ways they might under more established Head Coaches.  Lord knows, McCown isn't going to take playcalling away from his new OCo, for example.

Again, not as crazy as it first appears.  Will it work?  Who knows, most Coaches, including veteran assistants, don't wind up working.  Is it worth a shot?  Why not, for the lols if nothing else.  Not our problem, so sit back and enjoy it, lol.

it's dumber than dumb and any coach worth anything isn't hooking their wagon to that clown show. I don't see other teams tripping over themselves to hire McCown. With all the opening there is...

Josh McCown is a very religious guy. Texans president of football ops was a team chaplin before getting this role. You can probably put two and two together....

• Upvote 1

Just now, KRL said:

After hearing McCown speak when he was a Jet I think he'll be a good coach.
But I figured he would take the QB Coach, OC, HC route.  I think going from
a player to an HC is too big

Agreed.  Great guy.  Seems like he may be a really good coach, but this jump is a little mind-boggling.  This is another Joe Judge hire.  Which is going to set off another firestorm of Rooney Rule criticisms, because how do you compare his resume to someone like Flores or Bienemey.  Teams should absolutely be allowed to do what they want in terms of hiring, even to their detriment, but McCown would be well advised to follow Bowie's old advice: "take your protein pills and put your helmet on".

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

it's dumber than dumb and any coach worth anything isn't hooking their wagon to that clown show. I don't see other teams tripping over themselves to hire McCown. With all the opening there is...

Josh McCown is a very religious guy. Texans president of football ops was a team chaplin before getting this role. You can probably put two and two together....

Well, then like I said, enjoy it for the dumpster fire outcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The reality is, if you're just going to be a "head coach" i.e. the CEO of the team, it's not rocket science and someone with 10+ years playing QB in the league can probably do it.

His experience as a QB probably makes him already a better in game manager then half of the idiot head coaches in the league.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The reality is, if you're just going to be a "head coach" i.e. the CEO of the team, it's not rocket science and someone with 10+ years playing QB in the league can probably do it.

His experience as a QB probably makes him already a better in game manager then half of the idiot head coaches in the league.

Half? You are being very kind here.

• Haha 1

Something does not go right in the interview process for Bienemy.  Or maybe just too many past red character flags.  Stupid radio hack Stephen A lambasting teams for not wanting him.  But when you read his list of past issues, it should make any owner and GM hesitant.  

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Baseball seems to be doing this a lot now. Will definitely be interesting to see if it can translate. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2022 at 2:20 PM, ZachEY said:

Had an interview w/ Broncos.  Obviously didn't get it.

Guess all those pesky allegations of wrongdoings just won’t go away.  Proving that owners really don’t want to hand off the keys to their organization to a guy who has 5 issues on his rap sheet including using alcohol and sex to lure recruits.

I find it interesting that the sports outlets are quick to accuse owners of racism but just can’t find it in them to mention Bienemies history of bad behavior.

Why can’t he get a job?  Has to be racism

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I stay away from topics like this because they are fraught with misunderstanding but I remember clearly all the grief that Herm Edwards caught on social media sites by fans because he was NOT a defensive or offensive coordinator before becoming the Jets HC.

However, Herm's coaching experience is light years ahead of Josh McCowen's, Herm was the Assistant HC of a very good team, TB, and he was a starting caliber player in the NFL which McCown for most of his career was not.

I love, LOVE McCown, and said when the Jets let him go that it was a huge mistake and that they should make him like a player-coach because he was a phenomenal person and I said then that he would make a GREAT HC!  .

But....

This is nuts!

A guy who has NEVER coached at ANY LEVEL is going to be given a HC gig, cause that is what it would be.... Given

Over guys who have been coaching for decades...

Come on Now!

But at the end of the Day if McCown gets the gig I will support him because while he wasn't here long he is one of my favorite Jets of All Time!

P.S This has nothing to do with Flores or Bie...... think there are NFL quality control coaches who are more qualified to be an NFL HC than McCown...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Guess all those pesky allegations of wrongdoings just won’t go away.  Proving that owners really don’t want to hand off the keys to their organization to a guy who has 5 issues on his rap sheet including using alcohol and sex to lure recruits.

I find it interesting that the sports outlets are quick to accuse owners of racism but just can’t find it in them to mention Bienemies history of bad behavior.

Why can’t he get a job?  Has to be racism

You know, I hear all that, but that's all in public, and might preclude me from interviewing him.  It's still interesting to me that he's getting all these interviews without a job.  Unless teams are bringing him in just to avoid the scrutiny of not bringing him in.

My best guess, and this isn't some brilliant insight by any means, is that teams are open to him, and willing to put history in the past, even very open to being the team that finally brings him in and the media recognition that will get them, but you have to imagine something is really just not there in those interviews.  I imagine he comes off as Andy Reid's valet, and not the guy you want in charge of the billion dollar franchise.

That said, I hope Leftwich gets the job.  Will be interesting to see a former QB, who worked his way through the ranks, get a shot.

22 hours ago, ZachEY said:

You know, I hear all that, but that's all in public, and might preclude me from interviewing him.  It's still interesting to me that he's getting all these interviews without a job.  Unless teams are bringing him in just to avoid the scrutiny of not bringing him in.

My best guess, and this isn't some brilliant insight by any means, is that teams are open to him, and willing to put history in the past, even very open to being the team that finally brings him in and the media recognition that will get them, but you have to imagine something is really just not there in those interviews.  I imagine he comes off as Andy Reid's valet, and not the guy you want in charge of the billion dollar franchise.

That said, I hope Leftwich gets the job.  Will be interesting to see a former QB, who worked his way through the ranks, get a shot.

My point is more that they don’t or won’t even consider the possibility at this point which is odd and rather go with the race card

i agree with Leftwich.  Would be a good hire

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

My point is more that they don’t or won’t even consider the possibility at this point which is odd and rather go with the race card

i agree with Leftwich.  Would be a good hire

FWIW, I don't think they're "playing the race card" with Bienemy.  I think they're saying, in general, that AAs are underrepresented in NFL HCing ranks, which, is demonstrably true (there's only one).  Beinemy has become a figurehead for this, as he's been in the mix for a long time and has never gotten a job, and is the OC for what's been the most prolific offense in recent years.

I agree that there are reasons beyond race for specifically his inability to secure the job, but I think the overall narrative is not without merit.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

FWIW, I don't think they're "playing the race card" with Bienemy.  I think they're saying, in general, that AAs are underrepresented in NFL HCing ranks, which, is demonstrably true (there's only one).  Beinemy has become a figurehead for this, as he's been in the mix for a long time and has never gotten a job, and is the OC for what's been the most prolific offense in recent years.

I agree that there are reasons beyond race for specifically his inability to secure the job, but I think the overall narrative is not without merit.

I would tend to agree but other blacks have gotten HC jobs, like Flores.  And I’d bet that Flores will get another, this year.  I agree that he must be doing something wrong in his interviews given his work with Mahomes and the KC offense.  Or his background is limiting even getting interviews.  What did he get 2?  With all the openings?  Something’s going on with him