Davante Adams lookinhttps://forums.jetnation.com/topic/164605-davante-adams-looking-for-30m-a-year/g for $30m a year

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

There’s too many needs on this team to guarantee $90 on a WR over 3 years. 

I mean who are we exactly paying right now? Mosley comes off the books this year and the rest of this team is compromised of rookie contracts. Now is the time to hand out a contract like this if they’re ever going to do it 

• Upvote 1

Looking at Hopkins contract it is close to what he would get. If you can add a couple funny years and structure it right you could give him something like 5 years $165 million with $60 million guaranteed, say $30 million to sign and lower salaries first two years. Structured that way you could have Adams and Zach both signed for maybe $28 million a year which is still $12 million less than a franchise QB, so it is doable. VERY risky he is not super young so you are counting on him being the same player until like 32, which is not guaranteed. Not sure I do it but the Jets are in a position to do so and not cripple the rest of the team.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean who are we exactly paying right now? Mosley comes off the books this year and the rest of this team is compromised of rookie contracts. Now is the time to hand out a contract like this if they’re ever going to do it 

Mosley doesn’t become cuttable until next year.

The Jets eat something like $19 million in dead money if they cut Mosley this offseason.

I’d be all for Adams, I just don’t see any way that JD and Co. dish out the money to make it happen. It’s really a moot discussion.

The best any of us can really hope for is trading for a dude like Cooper and taking on his contract.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Packers are scheduled to be $41 million over the cap with 41 guys under contract. Chances are definitely greater than 0 he goes to FA.

I hear you, but I feel like we hear this kind of stuff every year about teams and they somehow manage to get the guys they want to keep signed. 

I agree that sounds prohibitive - but I’ll wait until he hits FA before I get interested.

And even if he does, I doubt he comes here, anyway. A better team will make room for him. 

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Mosley doesn’t become cuttable until next year.

The Jets eat something like $19 million in dead money if they cut Mosley this offseason.

I’d be all for Adams, I just don’t see any way that JD and Co. dish out the money to make it happen. It’s really a moot discussion.

The best any of us can really hope for is trading for a dude like Cooper and taking on his contract.

They don't need to cut Mosely this year to afford $30 or even $35 million for Adams though.

We haven't seen JD operate in a scenario where he has a hand picked #2 overall pick going into his second year. I wouldn't put too much stock into what he's done so far - this is a different scenario.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s funny that dudes here think he’s coming here. 

Oh, and Patrick Mahomes is going to finagle a way to get traded to the Jets. With Arron Donald. 

Nobody “thinks” he’s coming here. I just shared a report he’s asking for $30m a year, and the Jets are one of about a handful of teams who could meet his demands. So it’s not completely out of the realm of possibilities 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

The Jets need difference makers.

The Jets have cap space to spend and then some.

Wilson needs to be supported to the maximum.

That is what I care about.  If it's Adams that answers these three requirements, and it costs $30 million, fine.

Don't see why he'd choose to come here, honestly, but if he will, I'll be happy to have him, regardless of the cost.

It's not my money after all, and fans don't get refunds for unspent cap space.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

DeAndre Hopkins - $27.250 million.

Julio Jones - $22 million. ... 

Keenan Allen - $20 million. ... 

Amari Cooper - $20 million. ... 

Michael Thomas - $19.250 million. ...

yup it’s going to take 30, possibly more actually 

Honestly didn’t know Hopkins was at 27M.  Heck, might be ok with giving Adams 30M

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They don't need to cut Mosely this year to afford $30 or even $35 million for Adams though.

We haven't seen JD operate in a scenario where he has a hand picked #2 overall pick going into his second year. I wouldn't put too much stock into what he's done so far - this is a different scenario.

It’s possible, and like I said, I’d be all for it.

He’s arguably the best WR in the league and probably has at least 2-3 elite tier seasons left.

I just can’t see the powers that be going for it.

But I’d be glad to be proven wrong.

• Upvote 1