Davante Adams lookinhttps://forums.jetnation.com/topic/164605-davante-adams-looking-for-30m-a-year/g for $30m a year

Rhg1084

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

honestly the Jets should just give it to him. 3 years $90m give him guaranteed. They have the cap room and the salary cap keeps going up every year anyway. This type of deal would take it right up to Zach’s extension. So now is the time for JD to open up the wallet 

this thinking is SOOOOO JETSY .... you know what would happen if the Jets signed him to this ridiculous contract ???  He would twist and ankle and ride the pine for 10 games.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

I highly doubt Adams will sign with the Jets, but...

Pay Me GIF

It always amazes me how Jets fans can justify in their minds to pass on an elite, blue chip talent when the opportunity arises.  How many years of subpar play while consistently being under the cap does it take to turn this mentality around?  The Jets need dawgs, and yes, WR is a premium position in today's NFL.

Exactly right. 
Jet fans would rather pay 10 Jag FA’s $3mm each that do nothing to make the team better and talk about the steal we got. 
High end talent is what wins in this league. Impact players is how you win playoff games.  
Play your draft picks, jump at impact FA’s if they hit the market.  

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans hate mike mccagnan, yet want joe Douglas to act just like him.

We will draft a receiver at 10 and not give one single thought to Adams, Ridley, Michael thomas etc.

And Jet fans will continue to ignore what coach and gm have told them 1 million times about building through the draft and keep opening threads of things that have 0 chances of happening.

While I agree with your premise I don’t think signing a big time free agent is counter to JD’s plan. In fact I think it’s his preferred method.  

He wants to play his draft picks - doesn’t want to bring in a whole bunch of JAG FA’s.  Spend big on impact guys, play your young picks everywhere else   

He wants flexibility in the draft. - talks about this a lot.  Not having to draft a WR early frees him up to not to if he sees something better. 

ZW development is his primary goal. And this goes a long way to helping that process. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While I agree with your premise I don’t think signing a big time free agent is counter to JD’s plan. In fact I think it’s his preferred method.  

He wants to play his draft picks - doesn’t want to bring in a whole bunch of JAG FA’s.  Spend big on impact guys, play your young picks everywhere else   

He wants flexibility in the draft. - talks about this a lot.  Not having to draft a WR early frees him up to not to if he sees something better. 

ZW development is his primary goal. Abs this goes a long way to helping that process. 

Not at 30 mill per. Sorry. Now a 20mill signing bonus and then 22.5 per ...sure do it.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

When was the last time the Jets paid big money for a big name player and it actually worked for more than a short term? I’m driving and voice texting so f off if this didn’t come out right 

When was the last time the Jets went to a Super Bowl?

Does that mean we should stop trying?

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If Adams was already on the team would you want him to walk in FA because he wanted $30mm?

The only reason is because he want to surpass the stupid salary Hopkins got. I amended my post with a counter offer.

... 20mill signing bonus and then 22.5 per

Edited by Dunnie

All he costs is $, no draft picks involved. Jets could still spend on other needs, like resigning Moses and a veteran TE.

He's not a head case, that's his boy Rodgers. I'd give it a hard look  It would be a game changer. Contract structure would be the key.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

When was the last time the Jets went to a Super Bowl?

Does that mean we should stop trying?

I’m curious how many big-name signings by bad teams have resulted in a team being relevant in the playoffs for a good amount of time. Not including quarterbacks. 

obviously don’t stop trying but I don’t think that’s the correct way to go.

honestly the Jets should just give it to him. 3 years $90m give him guaranteed. They have the cap room and the salary cap keeps going up every year anyway. This type of deal would take it right up to Zach’s extension. So now is the time for JD to open up the wallet 

If Adams was the last piece  of a SB contender,  yeah sure, but that isn't the case.  

I mean if you put Adams Moore and Davis on the field together that’s a serious problem for the defense no matter who the QB is. Heck even Darnold would put up sick numbers with that supporting cast 

Just adams is a serious problem for defenses

Give him the 30M and do it with a smile on your face!!!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Franchise tag puts them at 68 million over the cap with 42 players under contract. 

nfl-mailbag-davanta-adams-tag-trade

Mailbag: Could the Packers Tag Davante Adams and Trade Him for a First-Round Pick?

From Wendell Ferreira (@wendellfp): If the Packers want to tag and trade Davante Adams, do you think they'll be able to get a first?

Wendell, I understand the concept of it, and we’ve seen it before—it happened just a few years back with pass rushers Dee Ford and Frank Clark. But it can be tough to pull it off, particularly for a team with the sorts of salary cap issues the Packers are facing.

Why? Green Bay projects to be about $45 million over the cap. It’ll be a challenge simply to get under. The receiver tag number will likely be around $19 million. And for a trade to happen, the Packers will have to carry Adams on their roster into the 2022 league year, which means they’d have to create $64 million in space between now and then. And of course, if Adams is gone, that means Rodgers probably would be, too. But to trade Rodgers, you’d have to carry his $46.44 million cap figure into the new league year as well.

There are ways to do it, of course, but it’d take everyone being on board. And if Adams is on his way out, I don’t exactly know why he’d cooperate. It’d make way more sense for him personally to hold the line, and make it tough for Green Bay to tag him in order to get to unrestricted free agency, where teams would bid on him and he could pick his next home.

Now, if the Packers could work all of it out, could they get a first for him? Maybe. But it’s hard to see all of it coming together that way for them.

Translation: He gone.

10 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I’d rather buy 2-3 players with that money.  Vet tight end, safety, and guard.  
Draft a tackle, edge, receiver, and tight end with our first four picks and field a complete team for the first time in a decade.

Trade Fant for a first in 2023 or a position of need.  

Trade Fant?  Hasn’t he proven pretty solid?  

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, good teams pay good players.  That's how you win.

The Jets, right now, have no good players worth paying.  So if one comes available - pay him.

Not saying not to pay him that.  Just wondering what type of cap space is out there for possible landing spots.