Davante Adams lookinhttps://forums.jetnation.com/topic/164605-davante-adams-looking-for-30m-a-year/g for $30m a year

Rhg1084

10 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Everyone keeps saying this, but....most of the teams with $30 million cap space ain't close to going to the SB.

It's usually up to the player...is it the team environment/prospects at less $, or is it about maximizing income on my next deal?

It will be interesting

Seriously he ain’t coming to New York. You can get is 30 million somewhere else.

39 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Seriously he ain’t coming to New York. You can get is 30 million somewhere else.

Maybe he's not, but you miss every shot you don't take. If he makes it to FA Douglas has to make a strong push for him and do whatever to sell the Jets & the area. 

Adams has made it clear he wants to be the highest paid WR in the game. You can presume what his other priorities are but no one KNOWS. Maybe his wife has always had a desire to live in NYC or something.

I agree it's a tough sell but never give up without trying. See if there's an angle and shoot it.

• Upvote 2

We know the amount of needs the team has and it would be unrealistic to pay such a big contract on a rebuild. Obvious stuff...

How long is this ducking rebuild? When do we actually want to be good? You start by have good players. Right now we have next to none. At least with Adams we’d have one.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

How long is this ducking rebuild? When do we actually want to be good? You start by have good players. Right now we have next to none. At least with Adams we’d have one.

It's a waste of energy to think about bringing these type of contracts.  It's not happening  with JD.

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

We’re all going to be here 30 years from now talking about “be patient…let the process play out…the rebuild is almost over”. 

• Haha 2

I often advocate not signing the 'top' guys unless you're know beyond a shadow of doubt that you're going to get the same player (or better) when they come to play for you. Too much money for what far too often turns out to be a player of less caliber than the contract they signed. Those deals are impossible to 'win' because, at best, you're getting the same player, but much more likely you're getting a degraded performance of some sort. 

Adams is the exception to the rule. He's a game changer even if he loses a step. You want to support your young QB? Get Adams. 

• Upvote 3

We’re all going to be here 30 years from now talking about “be patient…let the process play out…the rebuild is almost over”. 

Going to be? Dude, we’ve been failing at rebuilds for the past 40 years already. I don’t care who we have at other positions at this point, I’d like to see a superstar in our uniform before I die. All I’ve seen is Klecko and 3 years of Revis.

• Sympathy 1

On 2/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, Drums said:

30 mil a year though, any WRs making near that? Hopkins makes 27. Okay. 

Even the Hopkins extension wasn't apples to apples. On the one hand, yes it was an extension at that surprising rate. On the other hand, Arizona already had him at far less than that - 3 years @ around $13.5MM - so the extension to make Hopkins happy wouldn't necessarily feel like anything near $27MM/yr.

Before (his remaining contract years at the time of the trade):

1. $12.5MM
  2. $13.5MM
  3. $13.9MM

After ($27.5MM SB spread over 5 yrs + 2 new extension years with $27MM in salary. Arizona didn't keep his contract hitting exactly this way, but to make it seem more apples & apples for this discussion):

1. $18MM (above + $5.5MM amortized SB)
  2. $19MM (   "   )
  3. $19.4MM (   "   )
  4. $19MM ($13.5MM new year + $5.5MM amortized SB)
  5. $19MM (   "   )

Now again, Arizona didn't opt to have it all hit just this way, but that's just nuance. From their standpoint they'd have made that trade for Hopkins if he was locked in for 3 years at $14MM or 5 years at $19MM, because he was such a special receiver and they had a young QB on a relatively cheap rookie deal. i.e. that QB+WR duo = under $30MM/year for the pair.

Anyway, had they chosen to let it hit like a true extension, and leave the existing years alone, this $27MM/year extension results in zero years with a cap hit more than $19MM/year (way, way less than $27MM per). To Arizona, their new WR was effectively on a 5 year $94.5MM deal ($18.9MM/year) starting at age 28.

That's totally different than a $30MM/year UFA contract for Adams starting at age 30, since he won't come to his new team with 3 vastly under-market years @ ~$15MM where he's looking for 2 years @$30MM tacked onto that. Such an arrangement would be the proper analogy - as it'd result in $21MM x 5 years - not $30MM x 5 years. 

Adams is asking for 10% more than Hopkins got, if you just isolate the Hopkins extension years, but in practice it'd result in a contract that's some 50% higher than the Hopkins years in Arizona.

I don't think he gets that from anyone, and there's a high probability he won't even match the Hopkins extension rate either.

• Upvote 2

If Devante Adams makes it to freeagency or traded -expect him to be playing for the Raiders.  Carr and D Adams are best buds, and always  dreamed of playing together . J Gruden house next to D Carr house in Vegas iS up for sale. Carr on the record will take less if they get D Adams .    D Adams isn’t going anywhere he doesn’t want to go , so choices are very limited to Packers if they plan to trade him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, Jethead said:

The Chargers have the cap room and the QB. Maybe we can spring Mike Williams from them. He would be a good get for the Jets.

Mike Williams reminds me of Corey davis. Relatively inconsistent/unimpressive numbers throughout his career. Best year was his contract year.  Never resembled a #1 receiver but will be looking for 1A type money.

Going to be? Dude, we’ve been failing at rebuilds for the past 40 years already. I don’t care who we have at other positions at this point, I’d like to see a superstar in our uniform before I die. All I’ve seen is Klecko and 3 years of Revis.

To be fair we have had some great sloppy seconds .... Demarious, Braylon, Faneca, Lott, LT, Bell, Santonio, Brandon etc etc ... problem is a lot of them stopped playing NFL caliber football between the Jets signing them and the beginning of the season.

Mad props to Braylon, Cromartie and Faneca though ... maintained high standard of play after their contract signing.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:14 PM, Rhg1084 said:

honestly the Jets should just give it to him. 3 years $90m give him guaranteed. They have the cap room and the salary cap keeps going up every year anyway. This type of deal would take it right up to Zach’s extension. So now is the time for JD to open up the wallet 

The Jets have historically reserved those type of contracts for players who don't deserve them but allow the good ones to walk away.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, Peace Frog said:

It’s funny that dudes here think he’s coming here. 

Oh, and Patrick Mahomes is going to finagle a way to get traded to the Jets. With Arron Donald. 

Adams has not made any statements to the press expressing the desire to play in New York. For a third of Adam's asking price the Jets could sign Robby Anderson and get Adam's ability to stretch the field and have 20 Million left over to secure other players like the Tight Ends Mike LeFleur wants.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

To be fair we have had some great sloppy seconds .... Demarious, Braylon, Faneca, Lott, LT, Bell, Santonio, Brandon etc etc ... problem is a lot of them stopped playing NFL caliber football between the Jets signing them and the beginning of the season.

Mad props to Braylon, Cromartie and Faneca though ... maintained high standard of play after their contract signing.

I loved Braylon. We was so good in 2009-2010. 

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Even the Hopkins extension wasn't apples to apples. On the one hand, yes it was an extension at that surprising rate. On the other hand, Arizona already had him at far less than that - 3 years @ around $13.5MM - so the extension to make Hopkins happy wouldn't necessarily feel like anything near $27MM/yr.

Before (his remaining contract years at the time of the trade):

1. $12.5MM
  2. $13.5MM
  3. $13.9MM

After ($27.5MM SB spread over 5 yrs + 2 new extension years with $27MM in salary. Arizona didn't keep his contract hitting exactly this way, but to make it seem more apples & apples for this discussion):

1. $18MM (above + $5.5MM amortized SB)
  2. $19MM (   "   )
  3. $19.4MM (   "   )
  4. $19MM ($13.5MM new year + $5.5MM amortized SB)
  5. $19MM (   "   )

Now again, Arizona didn't opt to have it all hit just this way, but that's just nuance. From their standpoint they'd have made that trade for Hopkins if he was locked in for 3 years at $14MM or 5 years at $19MM, because he was such a special receiver and they had a young QB on a relatively cheap rookie deal. i.e. that QB+WR duo = under $30MM/year for the pair.

Anyway, had they chosen to let it hit like a true extension, and leave the existing years alone, this $27MM/year extension results in zero years with a cap hit more than $19MM/year (way, way less than $27MM per). To Arizona, their new WR was effectively on a 5 year $94.5MM deal ($18.9MM/year) starting at age 28.

That's totally different than a $30MM/year UFA contract for Adams starting at age 30, since he won't come to his new team with 3 vastly under-market years @ ~$15MM where he's looking for 2 years @$30MM tacked onto that. Such an arrangement would be the proper analogy - as it'd result in $21MM x 5 years - not $30MM x 5 years. 

Adams is asking for 10% more than Hopkins got, if you just isolate the Hopkins extension years, but in practice it'd result in a contract that's some 50% higher than the Hopkins years in Arizona.

I don't think he gets that from anyone, and there's a high probability he won't even match the Hopkins extension rate either.

What have you done to the thread title?

• Haha 1

Its about value of contract ... simple math.

Simple math-we have only employed one superstar player in his prime in 30 years. Simple math, in 30 years we’ve won next to nothing. 30 years 1 legit superstars. 30 million dollars isn’t coming out of your pocket, and it’s only wasted if the QB can’t maximize Adams’ talent. So if you don’t want Davonte Adams you’re basically admitting Zach Wilson isn’t good enough to warrant paying Adams, which is unfortunately true. We’re watching teams that seemingly are in cap hell find ways to sign Von Miller and OBJ. Enough is enough, start paying great players so we can actually be competitive.

Simple math-we have only employed one superstar player in his prime in 30 years. Simple math, in 30 years we’ve won next to nothing. 30 years 1 legit superstars. 30 million dollars isn’t coming out of your pocket, and it’s only wasted if the QB can’t maximize Adams’ talent. So if you don’t want Davonte Adams you’re basically admitting Zach Wilson isn’t good enough to warrant paying Adams, which is unfortunately true. We’re watching teams that seemingly are in cap hell find ways to sign Von Miller and OBJ. Enough is enough, start paying great players so we can actually be competitive.

...or acknowledging the reality is our entire team has sucked mooseballs for a decade, needs an overhaul and the wealth needs to be spread accross the roster ...

.... what are you not understanding ?

... i guess there are two schools.of thought .. the NBA superstar eats salary model ... and the more equitable distribution model that fortifies all.positions to enable a higher level of play in all phases of the game.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Another off season, another platoon of delusional fans thinking one of the "Best Players" in the NFL would sign here.

He wouldn't even pick up the phone if we called

We're probably on his blocked numbers list

• Haha 1

...or acknowledging the reality is our entire team has sucked mooseballs for a decade, needs an overhaul and the wealth needs to be spread accross the roster ...

.... what are you not understanding ?

... i guess there are two schools.of thought .. the NBA superstar eats salary model ... and the more equitable distribution model that fortifies all.positions to enable a higher level of play in all phases of the game.

Spread the wealth where Dunnie? Actually let me rephrase, spread WHAT wealth? We have none, we’ve had none. I keep hearing this whole notion that we need to be balanced with good players on all facets. Where’s the good players to balance? We’ve been employing this philosophy for decades and it hasn’t worked. What we haven’t done is had one true superstar besides Revis for about 3 to 4 years. Not one player we could say is even top 10 in the league, much less elite. Pay Adams elite money, and spread the remaining wealth amongst the rest of the sh*tty players like we’ve been doing all along. At least you’ll have one thing worthy of turning the tv on for.