I’ve lost all respect for DK Metcalf

Funniest thing about Italian American food pride is how laughable most actual Italians in Italy think it is. Every time I’ve been in Rome it’s a recurrent joke from the locals. Little to no respect for American Italian food.

I tend to like both cuisines myself, but they’re very different. If you’ve never been to Italy, you got to go, Italian or not. Amazing food and experiences.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Funniest thing about Italian American food pride is how laughable most actual Italians in Italy think it is. Every time I’ve been in Rome it’s a recurrent joke from the locals.

They have their heads stuck up their a**es pretty far in Rome.

They make fun of everything, and everybody, including any Italians who live south of them never mind those from other countries.

It starts with the language, goes to the food and never ends. F**k them.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

At least I’m not the guy who eats sauce out of a jar…

Vincent’s, ? 

Hey jerkoff I make homemade bolognese meat sauce ragu sugo grandmas Sunday sauce with meatballs and sausage marinara tomato sauce arabiata vodka sauce genovese alla amartriancia carbonara alla Norma pesto vongole all of them. Like you’ve never had. 

Vincent’s Hot sauce is in a class of its own. You’ve obviously never been there on Mott Street so I’ll grant you dispensation for being a philistine. 

Maybe educate yourself and visit the eatery. 

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Hey jerkoff I make homemade bolognese meat sauce ragu sugo grandmas Sunday sauce with meatballs and sausage marinara tomato sauce arabiata vodka sauce genovese alla amartriancia carbonara alla Norma pesto vongole all of them. Like you’ve never had. 

Vincent’s Hot sauce is in a class of its own. You’ve obviously never been there on Mott Street so I’ll grant you dispensation for being a philistine. 

You seem… upset?

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Nope. I’m happy.  Just seared off four 2 inch thick filetos with baked potatoes the size of footballs with friends. Butter and sour cream and chives. 

Cracked 2 bottles of Chateuneuf du Pape. 

Feeling good. 

Impressive that you could do all that and still post here all night.

Or, and this is more likely… you’re home alone and drinking too much. Again. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Impressive that you could do all that and still post here all night.

Or, and this is more likely… you’re home alone and drinking too much. Again. 

Hhahahaaaa friends just left after we planned our sailing trip for the St Thomas International Regatta (my SU roomie just bought a $160k boat in Martinique-I’ll post pics) and setting up our trip in June to Scotland. Playing St. Andrews twice. I’ll post pics. 

Nice flex jerkoff.  Yeah, I’m home. Alone. Drinking Chateuneuf du Pape. 

By myself. 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Hhahahaaaa friends just left after we planned our sailing trip for the St Thomas International Regatta (my SU roomie just bought a $160k boat in Martinique-I’ll post pics) and setting up our trip in June to Scotland. Playing St. Andrews twice. I’ll post pics. 

Nice flex jerkoff.  Yeah, I’m home. Alone. Drinking Chateuneuf du Pape. 

By myself. 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

To be fair. Was watching The Last Duel whilst I was posting. 

Boring. Responding to trolls was more fun. 

This is all so sad. ?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Funniest thing about Italian American food pride is how laughable most actual Italians in Italy think it is. Every time I’ve been in Rome it’s a recurrent joke from the locals. Little to no respect for American Italian food.

I tend to like both cuisines myself, but they’re very different. If you’ve never been to Italy, you got to go, Italian or not. Amazing food and experiences.

One of my favorite Sopranos episodes is when they go over to Italy, maybe season two?  They go to this big fancy dinner and Pauley is pissed off that he can’t get any macaroni with gravy. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Also highly recommended  the Branzino.

I had a whole grilled Branzino for diner tonight with Fried Calamari (Galama) as the appetizer from the local Italian restaurant. No joke.  Ate the Calamari with a little salt and lemon.  It was delicious . My family eats calamari every Christmas Eve as one of the 7 fishes.  It is cooked in tomato sauce for that meal, not fried.  It is the best part of the meal.  I used to love the baccala back in the day, which was served in a puttanesca sauce, but we stopped making it after my mother passed away. It is too hard to prepare with everyone working (putting the fish in water to soak for three days and changing the water).  

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

That would be The Varsity and having schooled there for 7 years myself, my wife for 6 years and 2 of my kids going there for 4 years each, I can say, eating there for a 1000 times, this is incontrovertibly not true. 

I ate Varsity Pizza for the first time as a high school student taking a summer journalism course at the Newhouse School in 1974.  I also remember eating a hot pastrami sandwich, but I can't remember the name of the restaurant.

24 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I had a whole grilled Branzino for diner tonight with Fried Calamari (Galama) as the appetizer from the local Italian restaurant. No joke.  Ate the Calamari with a little salt and lemon.  It was delicious . My family eats calamari every Christmas Eve as one of the 7 fishes.  It is cooked in tomato sauce for that meal, not fried.  It is the best part of the meal.  I used to love the baccala back in the day, which was served in a puttanesca sauce, but we stopped making it after my mother passed away. It is too hard to prepare with everyone working (putting the fish in water to soak for three days and changing the water).  

My sister still makes a cold baccala salad and fries some on Christmas Eve.

One of my favorite winter dishes is made with baccala, potatoes, onions, capers  and olives in a thin red sauce. It’s all placed in a Pyrex lasagna pan and baked in the oven. It’s so good! Is that the puttanesca style dish you’re referring to?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I ate Varsity Pizza for the first time as a high school student taking a summer journalism course at the Newhouse School in 1974.  I also remember eating a hot pastrami sandwich, but I can't remember the name of the restaurant.

Could it have been at Acropolis or Cure?

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I would like to die on the hill of Italian American food 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Calamari is bait, not food.

maxresdefault.jpg

In some restaurants, calamari  is a section of anus.  Same rubbery consistency and size.  Fry it up in some bread crumbs and it all tastes the same.  Most overrated food ever.

To be fair. Was watching The Last Duel whilst I was posting. 
Boring. Responding to trolls was more fun. 
Any good movie reccos ... because i too found that tripe to be plodding, uninspired and ponderously predictable.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

10 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember my mom not allowing us to pronounce it incorrectly.  She was full Italian….. 

My dad was born in Italy, and came over on the boat.... My grandfather in North Bergen NJ, had his own (small) vinyard in his backyard and made his own wine. I remember as a kid going to my grandparents house and my Aunt Mary (dad's sister) helping Nana, (pronounced) Nauna, making the fresh pasta, and sauce. It was heaven.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s galamad . It’s Rigote. It’s muzzallele.  It’s prosciutt. It’s parmigian. It’s Gopagol. 

Any self respecting Italian who uses parmigian should be shot.... It's pecorino romano thank you lol...

sorry thought you were talking parmesan cheese lol...

9 hours ago, CSNY said:

part of Hero with other meats , provolone cheese roasted peppers, onions , lettuce, olive oil and red wine vinegar

If anyone is in Astoria Queens go to Sals the Sandwich King order “ The Bomb” its delicious 

Try Sweet Soppressata you'll never eat Salami again.  Sweet Soppressata/Fresh Mozz, Lettuce Onion, Tomato oil/vinegar on a hogie roll... make sure the fresh mozz is on the top of the sandwich, then put it under a low broiler heat... Wait for the mozz, to start to melt take the sandwhich out, then feast.

So this picture is from the 80s.  In Port Chester NY. My buddy was born in Italy and this is his mom, aunt, grandmother, great aunt and friend making sauce.  Every year they ordered a truck load of tomatoes from the Catskills and made sauce for 3 days. His mom just passed and I am down to my last jar of sauce.  They made their own dry sausage that was to die for.  Ive got to learn to make sauce.  Never had to.  I could easily get it from my buddy, my X wife was full Italian but now….  Time to learn.  

F5DDE6E4-2B77-43F9-B3D4-DC0E93D42F38.jpeg

• Sympathy 3

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

This made me very hungry.

So all this talk about being Italian made me go look at my 23 and Me results for the first time in a couple of years.  It’s really interesting how genetic lineage works although it’s also one of those things that they could be just making it all up and I would not know the difference.

In addition to just your percentages, (I’m 56.9% Italian and 38.9% British/Irish although I grew up “Italian”) there’s a lot of information that you could spend hours going through. 

One cool thing is that they list all your genetic relatives.  I currently have 1500 connections to other 23 and Me customers, all the way down to 5th cousins.

This has led to a conundrum though….

K. Cangelosi is a newly discovered 2nd cousin, and although I’ve never met her, just looking at her picture, I kinda want to bang her….

47CE1300-D88B-45BD-9C2F-A7D4AA3B570D.thumb.png.154a5edbfa39c91c88a99ad8bac11597.png

Is that wrong?