I’ve lost all respect for DK Metcalf

6 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Any self respecting Italian who uses parmigian should be shot.... It's pecorino romano thank you lol...

sorry thought you were talking parmesan cheese lol...

This is untrue. Parmigiano Reggiano is the Coppo di tuti Coppo of Italian cheeses but it is true based upon the region and the dish, pecorino Romano is the choice. Parm is from the Parma region in Emilio Romana so it’s all you will see in northern Tuscany and regions north. Pecorino Romano is from Rome, Sardinia and southern Tuscany and is typically used in the south.  I’ll use parm Reggiano on meat sauces and steaks as it is not as salty, pecorino Romano on marinaras and carbonara and cacio de Pepi. 

5 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Try Sweet Soppressata you'll never eat Salami again.  Sweet Soppressata/Fresh Mozz, Lettuce Onion, Tomato oil/vinegar on a hogie roll... make sure the fresh mozz is on the top of the sandwich, then put it under a low broiler heat... Wait for the mozz, to start to melt take the sandwhich out, then feast.

This is true. Not a salami fan, love supersod. 

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Any good movie reccos ... because i too found that tripe to be plodding, uninspired and ponderously predictable.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

Check the movie thread in the Lounge. We’ve been binging multiple TV series so haven’t been watching many movies lately. I don’t think we’ve seen a good one in months, can’t remember the last great one we saw. Maybe Stuber for laughs? 

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This is untrue. Parmigiano Reggiano is the Coppo di tuti Coppo of Italian cheeses but it is true based upon the region and the dish, pecorino Romano is the choice. Parm is from the Parma region in Emilio Romana so it’s all you will see in northern Tuscany and regions north. Pecorino Romano is from Rome, Sardinia and southern Tuscany and is typically used in the south.  I’ll use parm Reggiano on meat sauces and steaks as it is not as salty, pecorino Romano on marinaras and carbonara and cacio de Pepi. 

This is true. Not a salami fan, love supersod. 

Supersod? You a vegan? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

One of my favorite Sopranos episodes is when they go over to Italy, maybe season two?  They go to this big fancy dinner and Pauley is pissed off that he can’t get any macaroni with gravy. 

Paulie Walnuts kept saying “Commandatore” and that one old dude was pissed at Americans because a fighter jet clipped a ski lift gondola killing some Italians. Was a great story arc. Tony also met that hot Italian chick. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I know fried  calamari is good but all I ever taste is breading and sauce.  I really prefer it grilled. 

I’ve made it stuffed and grilled. Awesome. 

I do like it breaded and fried but the only way to eat pulpa/octopus is grilled. Nice and charred on the outside and soft on the inside. 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, I have. I'm one of those people  that if you put it in front of me, I will eat it or at least taste it. Never could figure out why people are grossed out by snails, they are great with garlic and oil. I really do prefer it grilled and plenty of people have tried it with me and told me they will never order it fried again. 

Escargot on a slice of crusty itslian bread is awesome. And very easy to make. 

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Im aware.

I've forgotten more about food than this collective board will ever know. 

But if you had to choose. What would it be. 

Taggliata di Manzo super rare and sliced over a bed of baby arugula and cherry tomatoes topped with shaved parm Reggiano. Make it once ever month or so. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Lol, I'm not going to lie, I never noticed that. I'm with you dude, I only dip my wings in blue cheese, and even with my wings I don't always eat them with blue cheese. Perhaps I'll go to Acropolis Pizza some night soon and see if what you claim is really a thing.

Acropolis pizza isn’t great but their cheese steaks are awesome. The original Acropolis was on Wescott Street, closed and move to M Street in the spot that used to be called Gino and Joes. We used to call it Vagina and Joes. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

That’s simply not true. I think you’re actually commenting on the average American palate - which is largely informed by means and access. We raise generations in mass produced bread and cheese. What can you expect?

The South has tiers of cuisine. Just like any other part of the country.

Yeah I see your point there. My in laws are from upstate NY and grew up in the 40s and 50s. They are truly sweet people, but from a food standpoint, they are simpletons. It isn't their fault. They grew up in a time when the only food available was Wonder Bread and government cheese. They simply don't know any better.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Hence why I said Pecorino, I'm Calabrese..... Dad was born in Reggio

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Somebody mentioned the Feast of the Seven Fishes for Christmas Eve.  We did this for years and years at a friends house in Nutley. Became the Feast of the 40 Fishes because everyone brought something. Covid killed it the last 2 years. Hopefully back this year. 

Yeah we missed out on Christmas Eve in 2020 because several family members got COVID. Thankfully everyone was healthy last month, and we were able to have it again.

For me, Christmas Eve was always the actual holiday. On Christmas Day we just sit at home in our pajamas and drink while the kids play with their toys. LOL

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

Yeah we missed out on Christmas Eve in 2020 because several family members got COVID. Thankfully everyone was healthy last month, and we were able to have it again.

For me, Christmas Eve was always the actual holiday. On Christmas Day we just sit at home in our pajamas and drink while the kids play with their toys. LOL

100%. 

This year it was just us and our kids (no outside friends or family). Made lasagna for Christmas Eve and the most expensive Chateaubriand ever for Christmas. And lots of wine. 

Hooefully this year we’re back to normal. 

36 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Yeah I see your point there. My in laws are from upstate NY and grew up in the 40s and 50s. They are truly sweet people, but from a food standpoint, they are simpletons. It isn't their fault. They grew up in a time when the only food available was Wonder Bread and government cheese. They simply don't know any better.

I’m friends with a couple engaged to be married next year. Both from the Midwest.  

She’s very much a burgeoning foodie.  She’s always trying new restaurants, foods, etc etc. 

Him, he’s a simpleton. Actually beyond simpleton.  A bunch of us went to a Mexican restaurant last weekend.  He would only order the cheese quesadilla from the kids menu. 

He was mad the Mexican restaurant didn’t have ranch for his quesadilla. 

I’m setting the over under at 3.5 years before they’re divorced.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

I’m friends with a couple engaged to be married next year. Both from the Midwest.  

She’s very much a burgeoning foodie.  She’s always trying new restaurants, foods, etc etc. 

Him, he’s a simpleton. Actually beyond simpleton.  A bunch of us went to a Mexican restaurant last weekend.  He would only order the cheese quesadilla from the kids menu. 

He sounds like my father in law. LOL

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Thats pathetic.

My 10 year old loves Sashimi, real Stilton cheese, and escargot.

? 

• Sympathy 1