Jump to content

I’ve lost all respect for DK Metcalf


IndianaJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 1/31/2022 at 9:52 AM, Peace Frog said:

We stayed in Campo de Fiori for a week, ate at Fortunata twice. Have a picture of me, my fiancé and the old woman rolling pasta in the front window. Lol. I send everyone I know going to Rome to eat there. Bought a clay water pitcher there that we put flowers in. 

I’m literally taking notes. I had a trip planned in 2019 - 11 days in Rome and the Amalfi Coast, but had to cancel to get my knee replaced. Then COVID……..  Hopefully soon. Will do north of Rome on a separate trip. I like to stay in one place for a few days at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I’m literally taking notes. I had a trip planned in 2019 - 11 days in Rome and the Amalfi Coast, but had to cancel to get my knee replaced. Then COVID……..  Hopefully soon. Will do north of Rome on a separate trip. I like to stay in one place for a few days at least.

I’m putting together a Tuscany/Rome itinerary for a workmate. Will send it to you. 

Have 2 great hotels in Amalfi if you decide to go there.  Of all the Amalfi Coast towns, Amalfi is my favorite and is accessible to get anywhere from Capri to Salerno. And not as hoity toighty as Positsno (a day trip is all you need). High speed ferry’s run all day from Amalfi. Been to Capri 3 times and never got into the blue grotto as the seas were too rough. I will get there one day. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m putting together a Tuscany/Rome itinerary for a workmate. Will send it to you. 

Have 2 great hotels in Amalfi if you decide to go there.  Of all the Amalfi Coast towns, Amalfi is my favorite and is accessible to get anywhere from Capri to Salerno. And not as hoity toighty as Positsno (a day trip is all you need). High speed ferry’s run all day from Amalfi. Been to Capri 3 times and never got into the blue grotto as the seas were too rough. I will get there one day. 

Positano was amazing.  I get the criticism (it's also very touristy, but in a shops kinda way, which was fun).

Definitely a required, mandated, you-absolutely-must-see-it-for-yourself day trip, at minimum, when visiting Rome or Naples (or Italy if you're seeing more of the country).

Eating fresh seafood and drinking Borolo wine (not really regionally appropriate, but still) almost literally on the beach in Positano, looking out over the water.....yeah, good stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Positano was amazing.  I get the criticism (it's also very touristy, but in a shops kinda way, which was fun).

Definitely a required, mandated, you-absolutely-must-see-it-for-yourself day trip, at minimum, when visiting Rome or Naples (or Italy if you're seeing more of the country).

Eating fresh seafood and drinking Borolo wine (not really regionally appropriate, but still) almost literally on the beach in Positano, looking out over the water.....yeah, good stuff. 

Been to Chez Black many a time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m putting together a Tuscany/Rome itinerary for a workmate. Will send it to you. 

Have 2 great hotels in Amalfi if you decide to go there.  Of all the Amalfi Coast towns, Amalfi is my favorite and is accessible to get anywhere from Capri to Salerno. And not as hoity toighty as Positsno (a day trip is all you need). High speed ferry’s run all day from Amalfi. Been to Capri 3 times and never got into the blue grotto as the seas were too rough. I will get there one day. 

The 2019 trip included 5 days on Rome, the 5 days in Ravello then back to Rome for a day before heading home. I planned on dat trips to amalfi. Positano, capri….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 11:19 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The 2019 trip included 5 days on Rome, the 5 days in Ravello then back to Rome for a day before heading home. I planned on dat trips to amalfi. Positano, capri….

Ravello is a 2 hour trip for dinner. Do not stay up there. 

Stay on the coast. Seriously. 

Literally on the water in the middle of Amalfi, Hotel Residence Amalfi.  Stayed there last time, awesome. Right off the quay.  

https://www.residencehotel-amalfi.it/en/index?adblast=6919589058&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0p2QBhDvARIsAACSOOOg2GhIOjtT3w1vay8flrFaeIU_Y2kcrrsyuZ8rMXHH7OqoUcwbEzEaAqxbEALw_wcB

Having said that, best hotel in the entirety of the Coast, will cost you but you will not be disappointed, the Luna Convento Hotel.  Off the charts. Stayed there twice. Just up the hill from the middle of the town. Awesome pool, best restaurant. Complete luxury. 

https://www.guestreservations.com/hotel-luna-convento/booking?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0p2QBhDvARIsAACSOOPQn-wmJvfadwa8MAvttAUwV5gzqNPiwnnhfR13zGNP6OvMH6S9XusaApKoEALw_wcB

 

image.png.5e2d2e069d3dc0835b0fc35b254072c9.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 6:19 AM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I’m literally taking notes. I had a trip planned in 2019 - 11 days in Rome and the Amalfi Coast, but had to cancel to get my knee replaced. Then COVID……..  Hopefully soon. Will do north of Rome on a separate trip. I like to stay in one place for a few days at least.

Check your DMs.  Sent Rome write up.  Let me know if hou want Tuscany/Florence or Amalfi Coast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

There must be something in the water in Seattle....

 

I'm not a dessert for breakfast kind of guy. So I don;t hate the sentiment here. Gimme eggs, bacon, hash browns and a Bloody Mary. You wanna throw some buttered toast in there. Fine! But I don't need powdered sugar and maple syrup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm not a dessert for breakfast kind of guy. So I don;t hate the sentiment here. Gimme eggs, bacon, hash browns and a Bloody Mary. You wanna throw some buttered toast in there. Fine! But I don't need powdered sugar and maple syrup. 

Same here. I can't do sweet at breakfast. A deli near me has a breakfast sandwich called the Triple Mess - three eggs, bacon, sausage, ham and cheese on a hero. I don't eat them often, but I'm good for the day when I do. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

DJ Reed doesn't know what French toast is.

Not exactly a worldly individual is DJ Reed. Hint hint DJ, it’s not from France 🇫🇷 Dude obviously failed history in high school 👨‍🍳

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

Same here. I can't do sweet at breakfast. A deli near me has a breakfast sandwich called the Triple Mess - three eggs, bacon, sausage, ham and cheese on a hero. I don't eat them often, but I'm good for the day when I do. 

Good thing.

Triple Mess -> Triple Bypass

Just sayin' ;) but i totally understand the day-impacting joy of a good breakfast sandwich.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Not exactly a worldly individual is DJ Reed. Hint hint DJ, it’s not from France 🇫🇷 Dude obviously failed history in high school 👨‍🍳

Wtf does French toast have to do with history class?

This is a weird leap and post.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 5:53 AM, New York Mick said:

I’m guessing it’s a southern thing. I just hired a guy for North Carolina as an electrical apprentice and he uses ranch for everything. I couldn’t even tell you the last time I used ranch for anything. 

Plus an age thing. “ I remember back  in my day when the only choice with hot rings was blue cheese and that was for the misses to dip her celery in so she can eat too.” 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Wtf does French toast have to do with history class?

This is a weird leap and post.

DJ Reed was complaining about failing a history test. Apparently Jimmy Carter placed tariffs on French bakery imports or something like that. When asked if French toast was once of those items tariffed Reed replied "yes"; which was incorrect leading Reed to fail said history test by one point.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although Italian, my Mom was born in Paris.  Growing up, we often had "pain perdu", or "lost bread" the French for what we call French Toast.  Only difference is that my Mom would make it as she learned it in France, with stale brioche, panettone, or Italian bread.  It's just a way the old folks had to stretch meals.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jets Things said:

A deli near me has a breakfast sandwich called the Triple Mess - three eggs, bacon, sausage, ham and cheese on a hero. I don't eat them often, but I'm good for the day when I do. 

My local deli growing up had the same -- called in the breakfast barge. It's a heavy way to start the day.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Someone bumped this thread and now this pizza pie came up again.  Looks so delicious but it's on a different continent.

Best pizza I ever had was in Rome. And the gelato there is other worldly. It was pretty cold there during Easter but a day didn’t go by where we were indulging in gelato every day in 40 degree weather. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Although Italian, my Mom was born in Paris.  Growing up, we often had "pain perdu", or "lost bread" the French for what we call French Toast.  Only difference is that my Mom would make it as she learned it in France, with stale brioche, panettone, or Italian bread.  It's just a way the old folks had to stretch meals.

The French have zippo to do with French toast. It is as ancient as the Roman Empire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...