Ikem Ekwonu

jetstream23

There's quite a few factors at play for Ike at 4.

Is he actually a tackle?

Are the edges off the board? 

Did we add a free agent lineman? 

I think the edge is choice number 1 at four.  If they're looking at Ike as a RG to complete the line, then I wait to see if he's there at 10.  If he's gone, then either take Cross or trade down a few spots for the Iowa center. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2022 at 1:52 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

There's quite a few factors at play for Ike at 4.

Is he actually a tackle?

Are the edges off the board? 

Did we add a free agent lineman? 

I think the edge is choice number 1 at four.  If they're looking at Ike as a RG to complete the line, then I wait to see if he's there at 10.  If he's gone, then either take Cross or trade down a few spots for the Iowa center. 

Saleh is a savage and wants a terroizing front 4 to go after the QB. It's his schtick. This is why JD drafted like 10 cb/saties in the late rounds.  Hutch/Thibs-JFM-QW-Lawson. Thats a tough DL that will get after the QB.  Add a couple LB's, a CB and safety, and the defense will be vastly improved .

I think it's a real possibility -- if we go offense at 4 I think he's the pick. He slots in as RG day one and is a long term starting RT, then LT. Based on what seem to be the current projections he's a long term high upside player at an important position.

I think the preferred route is edge -- we'll see who rises. I could see a pass rusher nobody is currently mocking in the top 5 ending up the pick as well.

But I'd be surprised if the pick wasn't OL or DL.

On 1/30/2022 at 7:49 AM, section314 said:

The process is still so early, but each day I'm getting more and more convinced he's the pick at #4. If he's still there.

That's it right there.

This dude IS the pick at 4. He has the strength and athleticism that is tailor made for this offensive scheme.

• Upvote 1

Not a dummy either.  3.4 GPA, Deans List.  Received offers from Harvard and Yale.  Well spoken kid who loves football. 

Was a wrestler in high school, and ran the anchor leg on his prep rally squad.  Father was a college basketball player, now a doctor; mother ran track in high school. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Not a dummy either.  3.4 GPA, Deans List.  Received offers from Harvard and Yale.  Well spoken kid who loves football. 

Was a wrestler in high school, and ran the anchor leg on his prep rally squad.  Father was a college basketball player, now a doctor; mother ran track in high school. 

He seems thoughtful, affable, and well-spoken. While these aren't necessarily requirements for success in the NFL, I think it's a big plus for reasons I am not sure how to articulate.  But this was a nice article about him as well:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/nfl-draft-hot-take-tuesday-ikem-ekwonu-will-be-a-hall-of-famer#gid=ci02982eb4100025f8&pid=ot-ikem-ekwonu-north-carolina-state

Some excerpts:

His freshman tape was incredibly impressive for a player at such a young age. He displayed "grown-man power" and an extremely good understanding of where to be. His game against Clemson was particularly impressive, as Ekwonu looked like the best player on the field against one of the top defenses in the nation. At that point, it was easy to see that Ekwonu would develop into a legit NFL prospect.

On film, Ekwonu improved his overall technique and athleticism. He didn't lose reps in pass protection. Defenders struggled to win the outside track against Ekwonu, as he was able to kick out and use his length to drive them away from the pocket. Edge rushers also would lose reps when they tried to dip their shoulder under Ekwonu, as he has loose hips and can get low to stop them in their tracks. Power rushers had no shot against Ekwonu, as his power at the point of attack is hard to find.

In the run game, Ekwonu was elite as a freshman and sophomore, but as a junior, he was the best run blocker in the country. The second Ekwonu got a hold of defenders, he used his combination of power, elite technique and mauling mentality to move defenders. Ekwonu created gaping holes for ball-carriers to run through. When asked to work in space, Ekwonu always located defenders and drove them out of the play. At times it was as if Ekwonu was going up against high schoolers, with how dominant he was as a run defender.

With regard to his next-level projection, Ekwonu can be a high-level starting tackle in any scheme from Day 1. He has the “unteachables” and with the right development, could be the best left tackle in the NFL. Ekwonu has the talent to be the first player selected in the draft and it wouldn't be shocking to see him become a Hall of Fame caliber player by the end of his career.

Seems like if giving Wilson an extra second to locate the open man is important (it is) then this could be a good use of draft capital.  The only thing that bums me out is we need an Edge and a WR as well, ideally before the 2nd round.  If I could find a way to get Ekwonu, Jermaine Johnson and one of the top-3 WRs, I would be a happy fan.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

He seems thoughtful, affable, and well-spoken. While these aren't necessarily requirements for success in the NFL, I think it's a big plus for reasons I am not sure how to articulate.  But this was a nice article about him as well:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/nfl-draft-hot-take-tuesday-ikem-ekwonu-will-be-a-hall-of-famer#gid=ci02982eb4100025f8&pid=ot-ikem-ekwonu-north-carolina-state

Some excerpts:

Seems like if giving Wilson an extra second to locate the open man is important (it is) then this could be a good use of draft capital.  The only thing that bums me out is we need an Edge and a WR as well, ideally before the 2nd round.  If I could find a way to get Ekwonu, Jermaine Johnson and one of the top-3 WRs, I would be a happy fan.

5 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Reading and watch these makes me wonder how in the world you talk to Mekhi and think he’s a good pick. 

Give me this guy at 4 all day long. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/30/2022 at 10:28 AM, PepPep said:

Did this tweet need its own thread? lol. 

Nah, but this player certainly does.  He could start at OG (if Fant/Becton earn that LT spot) and then move to LT for 2023 or 2024.  It's like a lease with an option to buy....and an insurance policy on Becton.  #4 might seem early to some people but this is a flat draft at the top outside of Hutchinson and Thibodeaux.  He's being heavily mocked to the Giants at #5, and they just drafted Andrew Thomas higher than the Jets took Becton.  JD loves is OL as much as Saleh love his DL.  I think the Jets hit both lines at 4 and 10 with one player each.  

In a story from Bruce Feldman of The Athletic, one ACC coach recently told him that Ekwonu was the best lineman in the entire conference heading into this fall.

“To me, he’s the most feared offensive lineman in the ACC,” said an offensive line coach in the conference. “He’s similar to [Mekhi] Becton, but more of an interior guy. He’s got so much short-area power and explosiveness. He’s violent. You’d go watch him on film: ‘Oh, wow, he’s destroying people.’

"He’s got something in him that is not coached. There is some natural aggression and ferocity with the way he finishes and strikes. That is a gift.”

Ekwonu had multiple highlight blocks last year at both guard and tackle, but played more down the end of the season at the left tackle spot. Coming into spring camp as a 6-foot-4, 325-pound lineman, Ekwonu likely fits the mold of a guard at the NFL level, and could be one of the best in the entire draft class in 2022 or 2023.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:35 PM, Be_a_Jet said:

Has he ever played on the right side? 

Interesting...

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ikem-ekwonu-scariest-player-in-the-acc-talks-possible-position-change/

"But the Giants are also a possibility for Ekwonu if they’re looking to rebuild their interior. The Jets could be a sneaky landing spot for the offensive lineman as well, at either tackle or the right guard spot.

Usually, a proposed positional change would send me gliding on the soapbox to explain why it’s a horrible idea. But with Ekwonu, we’re discussing a difference between potential Pro Bowl-caliber play at tackle and Hall of Fame level play at guard. He’ll immediately become one of the most feared competitors in the NFL."

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We definitely need depth at OL and this guy sounds like he's outstanding.  But where does he fit in considering what we've already got?  Or is it one of those cases where, with a talent like this, you take him and just figure it out later?

I think you have to move Fant or Becton if you draft Icky.

Whoever brings you more value. 

I'd pass on o-line at 4 and 10 after signing the guard in free agency.  

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think you have to move Fant or Becton if you draft Icky.

Whoever brings you more value. 

I'd pass on o-line at 4 and 10 after signing the guard in free agency.  

People seem to be missing that we could have no viable tackle going into 2023. Fant is FA and Becton could easily bust out. Not saying we take Icky but OT is a sneaky need

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

People seem to be missing that we could have no viable tackle going into 2023. Fant is FA and Becton could easily bust out. Not saying we take Icky but OT is a sneaky need

It is, but how can you draft someone at 4 that won’t play for a year? 

Before they signed LT it was a interesting option, but now it seems like another move has to follow if they draft Icky.