Ikem Ekwonu

jetstream23

On 4/2/2022 at 7:23 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

We definitely need depth at OL and this guy sounds like he's outstanding.  But where does he fit in considering what we've already got?  Or is it one of those cases where, with a talent like this, you take him and just figure it out later?

Where would you put Drake London or Christian Watson if drafted?  They'd compete for playing time with guys like Corey Davis, etc.

It's perfectly acceptable to have Becton, Fant and Ikem compete for two OT spots this Summer, knowing full well that only two of them are likely on the roster for 2023.  Knowing that between the three of them you'd like have some number of games lost to injury (Fant missed games last year, Becton missed almost the entire season).  Picking Ikem becomes even more palatable if you're prioritizing Zach Wilson's longterm development so much that you're willing to trade a ton for a veteran WR like Hill, DK, etc.

People hate me for wanting "another OT" after drafting only one back in 2020 under Douglas.  But after using a 2nd and a 2nd on WR in consecutive years we're fine throwing a 1st at another one?  If you draft Ikem you've basically finished the job on the OL.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Where would you put Drake London or Christian Watson if drafted?  They'd compete for playing time with guys like Corey Davis, etc.

It's perfectly acceptable to have Becton, Fant and Ikem compete for two OT spots this Summer, knowing full well that only two of them are likely on the roster for 2023.  Knowing that between the three of them you'd like have some number of games lost to injury (Fant missed games last year, Becton missed almost the entire season).  Picking Ikem becomes even more palatable if you're prioritizing Zach Wilson's longterm development so much that you're willing to trade a ton for a veteran WR like Hill, DK, etc.

People hate me for wanting "another OT" after drafting only one back in 2020 under Douglas.  But after using a 2nd and a 2nd on WR in consecutive years we're fine throwing a 1st at another one?  If you draft Ikem you've basically finished the job on the OL.

There’s a big difference between positions like wide receiver or edge rusher and offensive line. Offensive linemen don’t rotate snaps the way other position groups do. Not to mention there are different personnel groupings where you can get more wide receivers on the field that are used far more often than getting a sixth offensive lineman.

The starter/backup role on the offensive line is far more binary than those other positions, where if guys aren’t in starting roles they can play roughly half the snaps as they develop much more naturally than offensive linemen could.

You can make the argument for offensive line, folks will probably still disagree, but to have any chance of someone agreeing you’ve got to acknowledge the difference between how the position groups work instead of pretending OL backups have the same role as backups at other positions. Those guys need injuries to get on the field, backups at other positions don’t.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, derp said:

There’s a big difference between positions like wide receiver or edge rusher and offensive line. Offensive linemen don’t rotate snaps the way other position groups do. Not to mention there are different personnel groupings where you can get more wide receivers on the field that are used far more often than getting a sixth offensive lineman.

The starter/backup role on the offensive line is far more binary than those other positions, where if guys aren’t in starting roles they can play roughly half the snaps as they develop much more naturally than offensive linemen could.

You can make the argument for offensive line, folks will probably still disagree, but to have any chance of someone agreeing you’ve got to acknowledge the difference between how the position groups work instead of pretending OL backups have the same role as backups at other positions. Those guys need injuries to get on the field, backups at other positions don’t.

I understand the difference.  I'm keenly aware of it, particularly in the wide/outside zone blocking system we're running now.  It's a dance routine, it needs to be well-choreographed and it takes time, repetition, practice to get it right.  You want the same guys in the same spots all the time.  With all that said, we played at least 3 different players at LT throughout last season at various times (Becton, Fant, Chuma) and a similar number at RT I believe (Fant, Moses, Connor McDermott?).  We can be idealistic about how we differentiate starters/backups but the evidence suggests that whoever the #3 OT is on this team (Morgan Moses last year, Connor McDermott right now?) that guy is going to play a number of snaps that will likely not be insignificant.  And, that completely ignores that the Jets only have one starting OT under contract for 2023, a massive human with health issues who has averaged playing 7.5 games per year during his first two seasons in the NFL (when he should be at his youngest and healthiest).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I understand the difference.  I'm keenly aware of it, particularly in the wide/outside zone blocking system we're running now.  It's a dance routine, it needs to be well-choreographed and it takes time, repetition, practice to get it right.  You want the same guys in the same spots all the time.  With all that said, we played at least 3 different players at LT throughout last season at various times (Becton, Fant, Chuma) and a similar number at RT I believe (Fant, Moses, Connor McDermott?).  We can be idealistic about how we differentiate starters/backups but the evidence suggests that whoever the #3 OT is on this team (Morgan Moses last year, Connor McDermott right now?) that guy is going to play a number of snaps that will likely not be insignificant.  And, that completely ignores that the Jets only have one starting OT under contract for 2023, a massive human with health issues who has averaged playing 7.5 games per year during his first two seasons in the NFL (when he should be at his youngest and healthiest).

The beginning of the post I quoted either implied or directly stated differently. Comparing a tackle competing for time to a wide receiver competing for time isn’t reasonable.

The Jets also picked up a street free agent in June who capably filled in at right tackle all year and the theoretical backup left tackle was elite in pass protection (they should probably extend him too).

There are much more efficient ways they can use assets to ensure tackle depth than spending the 4th pick on the draft on a guy who would  potentially require an injury to play. They did it effectively last year. It’s particularly inefficient when they have two guys who have shown to be capable of playing left tackle, so they really need what they had last year - a capable backup right tackle.

This is all setting aside that they’re trying to protect a young quarterback and Ekwonu’s biggest question mark is his technique in pass protection.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, derp said:

The beginning of the post I quoted either implied or directly stated differently. Comparing a tackle competing for time to a wide receiver competing for time isn’t reasonable.

The Jets also picked up a street free agent in June who capably filled in at right tackle all year and the theoretical backup left tackle was elite in pass protection (they should probably extend him too).

There are much more efficient ways they can use assets to ensure tackle depth than spending the 4th pick on the draft on a guy who would  potentially require an injury to play. They did it effectively last year. It’s particularly inefficient when they have two guys who have shown to be capable of playing left tackle, so they really need what they had last year - a capable backup right tackle.

This is all setting aside that they’re trying to protect a young quarterback and Ekwonu’s biggest question mark is his technique in pass protection.

59 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I vastly prefer taking a developmental tackle this draft than take one of the top tier OL guys. Just seems like poor resource management even though i’m all for building a dominant Oline. 

Solid takes and fair positions.  As I've said, I know I'm alone on this one and I'm fine with it.

There seems to be little doubt that if the Jets don't hit OT early then they will absolutely be looking for RT/swing tackle later, perhaps even at that #38 spot.  I'd certainly be good with that as well.

Maybe I'm listening to too many Connor Rogers podcasts. ?  He seems almost convinced that its either Ikem, Thibs, Jermaine Johnson or Travon Walker at #4.

I just see Ikem as such an ideal fit here, scheme wise and the type of player he is.  But I get it about the duplication and the resource (draft pick) allocation here.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Solid takes and fair positions.  As I've said, I know I'm alone on this one and I'm fine with it.

There seems to be little doubt that if the Jets don't hit OT early then they will absolutely be looking for RT/swing tackle later, perhaps even at that #38 spot.  I'd certainly be good with that as well.

Maybe I'm listening to too many Connor Rogers podcasts. ?  He seems almost convinced that its either Ikem, Thibs, Jermaine Johnson or Travon Walker at #4.

I just see Ikem as such an ideal fit here, scheme wise and the type of player he is.  But I get it about the duplication and the resource (draft pick) allocation here.

I 100% believe JD is high on him. Other than the obvious physical differences, he’s similar to Becton in terms of being a people mover with massive upside, but needs a lot of reps to learn better technique. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Where do you listen to Connor these days? I used to listen to his Bleacher Report pod but I thought it was cancelled.