Bengals proving 5 year rebuilds are BS

kevinc855

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Just curious if in the history of the NFL a GM has had the "balls" to select a qb in the first round, the preceding year that he picked another qb in the first round.

I don't know. But I bet not many GM's have had those "balls".

https://www.nfl.com/news/cardinals-draft-kyler-murray-what-s-next-for-qb-josh-rosen-0ap3000001027927

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Let's say a QB there blows up and is heads and shoulders better than Zach.  We are on the clock at 4 pick, would JD have the balls to make that pick?  

Nope.

They are all okay on Zach. Nothing is going to change that.  
Be mad, hate the plan if you want but that’s the reality. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, Snell41 said:

They drafted a great QB. Literally that’s your answer. It’s why we have sucked and will continue to until we are lucky enough to land one.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Last I checked, this is a 53 man roster. A QB being the most important piece but not the only piece. So "Literally" does not work for me. They drafted what thus far has been an excellent QB and they placed him in a position to win. Let's see how well he would do on the Jaguars. Lions, Texans and the Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

51 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Last I checked, this is a 53 man roster. A QB being the most important piece but not the only piece. So "Literally" does not work for me". They drafted what thus far has been an excellent QB and they placed him in a position to win. Let's see how well he would do on the Jaguars. Lions, Texans and the Jets. 

To your point, Snell41 should ask Dan Marino how well that one man roster stuff worked for him during his career.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Let's say a QB there blows up and is heads and shoulders better than Zach.  We are on the clock at 4 pick, would JD have the balls to make that pick?  

Nope.

If one of this year's QBs suddenly "blows up" at the Senior Bowl, Combine, etc. to the point a team begins thinking they're better than any of the Top 5 QBs drafted last year then that's actually a red flag for me.  It would be an outlier from what these guys like Pickett, Corral, etc. have shown thus far.  Don't get me wrong, they're good QBs, but not a single one of them have been talked about the past year the way guys like Trevor Lawrence, Fields, Zach Wilson, etc. were.

These postseason games and processes like Pro Days are to confirm or disprove what you think you already know about players.  I don't think there's anything I could see in terms of Pickett performing these games or at the Combine that would magically make him look better as a prospect than how Zach Wilson looked over the last two months of the season.  In other words, we haven't seen Pickett in NFL games yet, it's all a projection.  We saw Zach in NFL games and if you asked me in October if he was worth being the second QB taken in the Draft I would have said no, at least not at that time.  But at this point having seen his last 6-8 games against NFL competition I absolutely believe he was the second best QB in that Draft last year.  It took me a while to get there though.

• Upvote 1

Adding to the above, I still think each of the QBs drafted last year in Round 1 (Trevor, Zach, Lance, Fields, Mac), had they been in this upcoming 2022 Draft would be taken ahead of Pickett and Corral.

That doesn't mean all 5 will end being better than Pickett and Corral over the next several years in the NFL, but at this point those two are simply not better prospects than any of the 5 guys were last year at this time.  Just my opinion.

11 hours ago, jamesr said:

Seeing a lot of comments here about how a franchise QB changes everything ... yet Matt Stafford still exists.

Was he not a franchise QB in Detroit all those years? How come he couldn't elevate all the players around him? ;-)  

Almost like it's a team sport or something!

His first year in a different organization and Boom! Super bowl. Just proves among other things coaching, other players, and nfl bias and media market bias. 

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Nope.

Because he forced us to stick with Sam Darnold and refused to draft a new QB in 2021?

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If one of this year's QBs suddenly "blows up" at the Senior Bowl, Combine, etc. to the point a team begins thinking they're better than any of the Top 5 QBs drafted last year then that's actually a red flag for me.  It would be an outlier from what these guys like Pickett, Corral, etc. have shown thus far.  Don't get me wrong, they're good QBs, but not a single one of them have been talked about the past year the way guys like Trevor Lawrence, Fields, Zach Wilson, etc. were.

These postseason games and processes like Pro Days are to confirm or disprove what you think you already know about players.  I don't think there's anything I could see in terms of Pickett performing these games or at the Combine that would magically make him look better as a prospect than how Zach Wilson looked over the last two months of the season.  In other words, we haven't seen Pickett in NFL games yet, it's all a projection.  We saw Zach in NFL games and if you asked me in October if he was worth being the second QB taken in the Draft I would have said no, at least not at that time.  But at this point having seen his last 6-8 games against NFL competition I absolutely believe he was the second best QB in that Draft last year.  It took me a while to get there though.

Good points, but that may be more of a bad mark on the 2021 QB draft class.  Mac only decent one so far and the Mills kid

8 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Just curious if in the history of the NFL a GM has had the "balls" to select a qb in the first round, the preceding year that he picked another qb in the first round.

I don't know. But I bet not many GM's have had those "balls".

Just one that I can recall, albeit in the supplemental but it was back to back first rounders.

image.thumb.png.120fe799d210fc47254b762f239e8dfc.png

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

If the Bengals turned around the team in just two years then what were the consistently sub .500 years between 2015 and 2020? 

I get that they switched coaches in that time period but if you commit to this two year rebuild theory you either have to concede that the two year rebuild required several preceding years of tear down or that the Bengals were simply fine with bad seasons until they were ready to start caring. 

The Bengals were a team content with bad seasons until their fortunes changed with a stud QB.  Prior to Burrow, they were content to to take chances on several players with reduced draft stock.  Joe Mixon the best example.  Then they hit jackpot with Joe Burrow who changed the narrative and then they hit a HR with Chase.  They obviously could have stood pat and went with Higgins and Boyd.  Many thought they'd call out Sewell in last year's draft.  Instead they drafted an insta-star who already had chemistry with their QB.  My hats off to their  fortune.  As a fan of a downtrodden team, I hope we can see something similar.  

On 1/30/2022 at 5:45 PM, kevinc855 said:

In two year they went from number one overall pick to possibly in the super bowl

JD, your plan doesn’t need 5 years 

You  realize your narrative doesn't work with the Bengals as an example, don't you?  The Bengals don't have a "GM."  The owner, Mike Brown, is the GM. He has been the owner and GM since 1991 - 31 years. So this is not a 2-year rebuild.  Brown has been rebuilding for 31 years.    Brown has been criticized for decades for just about everything, but mainly for his refusal to hire a GM and for being cheap (the Bengals have one of the smallest and lowest budget scouting departments in the NFL).   

In those 31 years, the Bengals did not win a single solitary playoff game until this season.  They had not played in a playoff game since 2015.  Zach Taylor, the head coach, was 6-25-1 in his first two seasons.

But you knew all that before you posed about this two year resurgence, right?  Because the only thing that happened two years ago that was new was drafting Burrow with the #1 pick after stinking it up with a new coaching staff - but the same ole front office - in 2018.

So the GM has been there for 31 years. The HC has been there for 3 years.  In fact, there is nothing similar between the Jets rebuild and the Bengals rebuild at all.  Not. One Thing.   Except the Bengals were smart enough to actually get the first pick when they stunk in 2019 and the Jets won two - count em- meaningless late season games in 2020 and lost out on that #1 pick.  This isn't year 2 of anything for the Bengals except the QB, for whatever that means.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

Last I checked, this is a 53 man roster. A QB being the most important piece but not the only piece. So "Literally" does not work for me". They drafted what thus far has been an excellent QB and they placed him in a position to win. Let's see how well he would do on the Jaguars. Lions, Texans and the Jets. 

13 hours ago, Bungaman said:

To your point, Snell41 should ask Dan Marino how well that one man roster stuff worked for him during his career.

We don't need to go far back for an example, we have right in front of us.

Matt Stafford in Detroit for 10+ years - nothing more than a few playoff losses

Matt Stafford in LA for 1 year - Superbowl appearance

An excellent QB who has finally been placed in a position to win. And we already know how well he would do on the Lions. ;-) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1