I guess the coin toss in OT DOESN'T Really Matter...

jetsons

On 1/30/2022 at 6:34 PM, Larz said:

Well going from 10-1 to 10-2 hardly flips the script lol

Agree..   might be premature to celebrate and douse the head coach with Gatorade after winning the coin toss..but you’re chances of winning go up many fold.

great seeing the script reversed yesterday….      10-2 ..better than 11-1

In the original thread about a rule change, I made a clumsy argument for not going to a mandatory second possession. Here's a better  argument. The team that gets the ball first will have to decide sometimes between punting or not (thus sometimes getting only three downs). The team that gets the ball second always has the luxury of having four downs, not three. That advantage is bigger than the 52.9 to 47.1 percent advantage that the team that goes first has had during the tenure of the current regular season rule. And by the way, that 52.9 number is inflated by an advantage that doesn't exist for the team going first when, as in the case of the current playoff, there is no 10 minute limit (a time limit which may cause the team going first to wind up with an extra possession)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Basketball players don’t have 300 pound guys crashing violently into 200 pound guys wearing gladiator equipment. You can’t put professional football players through that.  

There are SO many options that could be made available to equalize the overtime.  Creativity over comfort.  

16 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

One of the lessons I taught me kids was that "life was not fair, get a helmet."

Ironically, it works for football too.  

Well, when you are a billion dollar industry, you should think differently, because there is always ways to make more money.