Interesting comment by Aikman

derp

Just now, derp said:

Said SF’s defense took off when Armstead kicked inside from DE to DT after Kinlaw went down with an injury. Able to create more havoc with Armstead inside.

Jets have a similar personnel situation with JFM playing edge in base packages and kicking inside sometimes but being a great interior rusher. Will be interesting to see if Saleh and Ulbrich work to get JFM inside more as it would definitely be more disruptive.

Yes. Saleh and Ulbrich need to scheme with a good D with the talent he has, plus an Edge and LB. 

I remember Salah making some remark early in the year about how well JFM plays inside, so hopefully it's something he's aware of. Lawson and Huff being hurt definitely tied their hands this year as it was either JFM or an absolute zero outside.

Aikman also mentioned that SF goes 8-9 deep on the dl so I'm anticipating multiple investments at dt and edge this year.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Isn’t this what Quinnen Williams was supposed to do?  He must not be creating havoc.

The idea is that JFM at DT with a smaller edge rusher at DE is more disruptive than JFM at DE with say Fatukasi at DT. Regardless of Williams.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, derp said:

Said SF’s defense took off when Armstead kicked inside from DE to DT after Kinlaw went down with an injury. Able to create more havoc with Armstead inside.

Jets have a similar personnel situation with JFM playing edge in base packages and kicking inside sometimes but being a great interior rusher. Will be interesting to see if Saleh and Ulbrich take something from Saleh’s old team and work to get JFM inside more, as it would definitely be more disruptive.

Sounds like a plan. Draft Thibs or Hutch for edge, slide JFM inside with QW and Lawson in the other side. Get a couple LB’s and a shut down CB in this draft and Let the wreckage begin!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Sounds like a plan. Draft Thibs or Hutch for edge, slide JFM inside with QW and Lawson in the other side. Get a couple LB’s and a shut down CB in this draft and Let the wreckage begin!

I'm sure our existing CBs will look a lot better if we develop a decent pass rush. I'm not sure we look for a high drafted / shutdown type of guy, I'm more expecting to see some more Echols / MC2 type picks to add depth / versatility. 

8 hours ago, jamesr said:

I'm sure our existing CBs will look a lot better if we develop a decent pass rush. I'm not sure we look for a high drafted / shutdown type of guy, I'm more expecting to see some more Echols / MC2 type picks to add depth / versatility. 

I don’t know about that. There are some good cb’s to be had in first 2 rounds. I’d think JD would wait until round two if he were to go CB. With a trade back of our 10th pick, we could pick up an extra 2nd. Good options: McDuffie or Gordon would be my targets. The other top cb’s more than likely would be gone in round 1. There are a few who intrigue me round 3-4-5 CB Marcus Jones from Houston and the Alabama cb Davis and The Ducks Wright. 

13 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I don’t know about that. There are some good cb’s to be had in first 2 rounds. I’d think JD would wait until round two if he were to go CB. With a trade back of our 10th pick, we could pick up an extra 2nd. Good options: McDuffie or Gordon would be my targets. The other top cb’s more than likely would be gone in round 1. There are a few who intrigue me round 3-4-5 CB Marcus Jones from Houston and the Alabama cb Davis and The Ducks Wright. 

I'm just hoping that we don't hit the scenario of drafting a CB at #4 because he was "the best value" or something along those lines. There are barely a handful of CBs taken Top 5 that have ended up being worth it in the last 20 years. (Ramsey, Peterson, Woodson) 

• Upvote 1