Daniel Jeremiah - “7 of my Top 25 prospects are Edge rushers”

This isn’t a huge surprise.

I’m sure someone besides Thibodeaux/Hutchinson rises to the top 10 range but I’d imagine a lot of those guys are stacked between 11 and 20. If the Jets don’t get one at four they should be in a good spot to get one at ten or if they move down from ten. Who knows, maybe even if they get one at four.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Would obviously expect us to take an Edge with one of our two 1sts.

Question is...what do we do with the other. If Bechton wasn't such a fat lazy bum then we'd feel pretty good about our OL and could focus on a WR but who knows what's going to happen with him...

I genuinely think that boils down to what players they like the most. Think us fans worry about positions a lot more than the front office does.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Would obviously expect us to take an Edge with one of our two 1sts.

Question is...what do we do with the other. If Bechton wasn't such a fat lazy bum then we'd feel pretty good about our OL and could focus on a WR but who knows what's going to happen with him...

Think this FA period will be very telling as to how they see Becton's future with this team. If they were to both extend Fant, as well as resign Moses, then those stories that popped up late in the season about the CS being "fed up with Becton" may actually have legs. Realistically though, hard to see them giving up on a guy after 14 games.

• Upvote 3

Just now, section314 said:

Think this FA period will be very telling as to how they see Becton's future with this team. If they were to both extend Fant, as well as resign Moses, then those stories that popped up late in the season about the CS being "fed up with Becton" may actually have legs. Realistically though, hard to see them giving up on a guy after 14 games.

Taking a tackle at some point this draft makes a ton of sense to me. I feel that there are some good developmental tackle prospects in the draft and it gives you insurance for Becton/Fant in case Becton can't stay healthy and if Fant regresses at all or becomes too costly for his value. I'd be surprised if they resigned Moses personally.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Taking a tackle at some point this draft makes a ton of sense to me. I feel that there are some good developmental tackle prospects in the draft and it gives you insurance for Becton/Fant in case Becton can't stay healthy and if Fant regresses at all or becomes too costly for his value. I'd be surprised if they resigned Moses personally.

So would I. He's gonna get paid, and good for him.

• Upvote 1

This is pretty easy for me:

Thib., Hutch., Karl., Ojabo, Johnson, Leal (I consider him an Edge), Cam Thomas.  

Probably in this exact order but doesn't have to be. I also think once you get to a guy like Thomas you could very easily substitute Enagbare or Jackson or Sanders or Ebiketie. Just depends on fit and how you view the prospect because at that point, late in Rd. 1, early Rd. 2 is where the Pass Rusher class shows its depth. 

This is sort of meaningless. He probably also has at least 5 OT in the Top 25 a C  a safety and 3 or 4 WR as well. All that matters is our rankings and what makes most sense for the Jets. Just because there are a lot of EDGE players (there always are they are pushed up at least as much as QBs) doesn't mean the Jets will or should take one when their time on the clock comes up.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

This is sort of meaningless. He probably also has at least 5 OT in the Top 25 a C  a safety and 3 or 4 WR as well. All that matters is our rankings and what makes most sense for the Jets. Just because there are a lot of EDGE players (there always are they are pushed up at least as much as QBs) doesn't mean the Jets will or should take one when their time on the clock comes up.

Your weird disturbing love affair of Zach is clouding your common sense.   

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Your weird disturbing love affair of Zach is clouding your common sense.   

Has nothing to do with Zach. He didn't say the Top 7 prospects are all EDGE, he said 7 of the Top 25. So it is a meaningless stat that has no meaning to what the Jets will do at all.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Has nothing to do with Zach. He didn't say the Top 7 prospects are all EDGE, he said 7 of the Top 25. So it is a meaningless stat that has no meaning to what the Jets will do at all.

I know what he said, your notion that the Jets shouldn’t draft one of them is the senseless part.  

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Expect value and need to match up for the Jets at Edge early. The big difference between JD’s first two drafts was how aggressive he was in getting his guys in the second one. Traded up for AVT, and selected Moore when I think most of us expected another trade down. Edge is a huge need for this team, arguably its biggest. He’s gonna want one of his very top guys there, not wait around to see what’s left in the second round. Currently the odds on favorite at #4, imho. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Expect value and need to match up for the Jets at Edge early. The big difference between JD’s first two drafts was how aggressive he was in getting his guys in the second one. Traded up for AVT, and selected Moore when I think most of us expected another trade down. Edge is a huge need for this team, arguably its biggest. He’s gonna want one of his very top guys there, not wait around to see what’s left in the second round. Currently the odds on favorite at #4, imho. 

It’s a perfect storm of value meeting need.  The lack of any sort of depth at edge and the way Saleh likes to use and rely on his D-line makes it a necessity to address the position. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Thib., Hutch., Karl., Ojabo, Johnson, Leal (I consider him an Edge), Cam Thomas.  

Probably in this exact order but doesn't have to be. I also think once you get to a guy like Thomas you could very easily substitute Enagbare or Jackson or Sanders or Ebiketie. Just depends on fit and how you view the prospect because at that point, late in Rd. 1, early Rd. 2 is where the Pass Rusher class shows its depth. 

Travon Walker is going to be in Jeremiah's top 50. I'd guess Johnson and Thomas are the other two in his top 25 but who knows. The first four and Walker were in his mock - Hutchinson 2, Thibodeaux 4, Walker 13, Karlaftis 15, and Ojabo 23.

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s a perfect storm of value meeting need.  The lack of any sort of depth at edge and the way Saleh likes to use and rely on his D-line makes it a necessity to address the position. 

I kind of hope they go after free agent edges so there's less of a need to stack edges in this class, but they need multiple edge rushers at this point. And I'd love to see them add there to get JFM inside more. Get disruptive with four guys up front.

I do think that lines up with what Saleh wants and what Douglas believes in philosophically which is nice.

I think one of the hardest positions to grade going into a draft. The Jets have drafted a good number of top rated D linemen in recent years and many of them have been OK to good to only fair so far no real impact players. So I wouldn't commit most of our resources on one player even with a high draft rating. There is also more successful predictability at other positions esp skill positions on offense. Look we've seen in the playoffs poor defense even on teams with good players and systems. So it's not just the Jets defense that gave up big plays and points this past season. We have a shot at overall 4 for an edge rusher but if not there go for best available player unless they can trade down. 

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I kind of hope they go after free agent edges so there's less of a need to stack edges in this class, but they need multiple edge rushers at this point. And I'd love to see them add there to get JFM inside more. Get disruptive with four guys up front.

I do think that lines up with what Saleh wants and what Douglas believes in philosophically which is nice.

The edge free agent market is usually cluttered with giant question marks and poor value.  Given the depth of this edge class I wouldn’t be shocked to see two pass rushers drafted.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Resigning Moses seems like a no brainer. If Becton gets his act together then great, we have 3 high level OT’s to work with. If not we still have 2 very good ones. FA only serves to provide options. Drafting an OT with 4 or 10 on the other hand is a clear signal Becton is on super thin ice.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And Jeremiah is pretty close with Douglas, right?

I'm sure Douglas is close to his mom too, but I'm not sure he's relying on her draft advice.

I hope Douglass makes his own evaluations with his scouting staff and isn't relying on journalist's lists. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The edge free agent market is usually cluttered with giant question marks and poor value.  Given the depth of this edge class I wouldn’t be shocked to see two pass rushers drafted.  

Eh, you can functionally say that about pretty much every position in free agency. I think edge tends to be one of the ones that works out more often than others.

I also know they're not going to spend like crazy but they'll spend somewhere and given a choice between FA WR and FA edge I'm taking the edge. There's also just less going on in FA this year - which is a good thing.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I like Travon Walker, and the lack of love for him is mind blowing