Only two wins

kmnj

The bengals showed a trash team can go from 2 wins to the super bowl in a very short time . Parcells took a one win team to the AFC championship. It might not be the norm but it can be done . Another two to five win season again under Joe would be a huge failure. He has tons of draft capital and lots of money to spend. I am not expecting a miracle but improvements and ability to complete especially in our division is critical. If not Joe is just the clowns before him. The plus side of watching the bengals is hope and affirmation a rebuild can be executed with the proper gm 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, kmnj said:

The bengals showed a trash team can go from 2 wins to the super bowl in a very short time . Parcells took a one win team to the AFC championship. It might not be the norm but it can be done . Another two to five win season again under Joe would be a huge failure. He has tons of draft capital and lots of money to spend. I am not expecting a miracle but improvements and ability to complete especially in our division is critical. If not Joe is just the clowns before him. The plus side of watching the bengals is hope and affirmation a rebuild can be executed with the proper gm 

The NFL is about star players and star QBs period. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

https://www.bengals.com/news/recapping-the-bengals-2021-offseason-moves

Take a look at the moves they made. JD better nail this draft and open the check book!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

The Bengals obviously had some really good draft picks. We will see if we are as lucky with Carter, Moore, and Wilson. Still need to fix the defensive side of the ball. 

The big 'if' with Zach Wilson as with any football player, is...can Zach W. stay healthy. He has had some injury history through college into his rookie year. With an improved oline, more experience and familiarity with the offense in his second year, I expect to see Zach Wilson take a leap.

I am cynical but I saw enough in the latter half of the season to think that  he can lead us to 7 to 9 wins in his second year, if ZW and the key players remain healthy.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The biggest difference though is that Joe Burrow came into the league and looked like he was going to be awesome from game 1. Zach has not showed that yet. The Jets and Bengals are not similar.

burrow played in a more better conference and had a better record.  this doesn't mean wilson won't be good but he didn't have the same level of competition.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://www.bengals.com/news/recapping-the-bengals-2021-offseason-moves

Take a look at the moves they made. JD better nail this draft and open the check book!!

Two things jump out at me. 

1. They hit on their big name FAs. (yes they lost Reiff to injury but Awuzie, Hendrickson and Apple have been very good for them). 

2. They hit on their top draft picks. (Chase, Carman, Ossai...and I'm going to throw in McPherson for good measure)

Apart from staying healthy and the obvious progression of Zach. I think these two things will also be very critical for the Jets this offseason. Sounds obvious but JD needs to hit on at least 2-3 impact FAs which he will bring in as starters and he needs to hit on 2-3 draft picks.

That's 4-6 impact starters. I think if the team comes back healthy, that should be enough to make them competitive. Maybe not Superbowl competitive like the Bengals. But competitive in the division.   

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Gangrene said:

The big 'if' with Zach Wilson as with any football player, is...can Zach W. stay healthy. He has had some injury history through college into his rookie year. With an improved oline, more experience and familiarity with the offense in his second year, I expect to see Zach Wilson take a leap.

I am cynical but I saw enough in the latter half of the season to think that  he can lead us to 7 to 9 wins in his second year, if ZW and the key players remain healthy.

I am not a neutral Zach observer but if you did not notice the leaps and bounds by which he not only improved but calmed down as the season neared its end coupled with him losing every playmaker he had than you are just not seeing past the bias. I see no reason not to think Zach will take a huge leap in 2022. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

The Jets are kind of following the Bengals’ plan.

Bengals 

2019- LT

2020- QB/WR 

2021- WR 

Jets

2020- LT/WR

2021-QB/WR

2022-? 

Mims is a bust, but the Davis signing offsets it.

Zach just needs to take a big step in the next two years and we’ll be right there with them with a better o-line. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Can we just stay the course instead of looking at every team that has success in the moment and then think "well if they did it then why havent the Jets done it?" Every situation is completely different. We showed progress in the second half of the season on the field but not on the scoreboard. We are probably not going to make a HUGE jump in the win column next season. For me, it will be enough to have a few more wins, but more importantly build off of the successes we saw at the end of the season. We are finally building from the foundation up and changing a ridiculously bad culture. We (including myself) cannot judge this current front office, coaches and players with unsuccessful ones of the near past.  Unfortunately this change is done overnight. Anything in life worthwhile takes time. 

I agree 100%. Which is why we have seen JD take a slow and steady approach of building through the draft, putting together FA contracts in a way that allows flexibility, rarely committing to players long term, valuing draft picks immensely.

However, there IS a timeline. JD drafted Zach, Saleh was brought in, all at the same time. Their contracts line up and there IS a window here. So JD needs to understand that at some point either they move on from Zach or they start to get aggressive in FA or via trade (line the Rams did for example) to turn this into a true contender. Seems like 2023 and 24 are going to be those seasons, when the Jets will have two shots with Zach under his rookie deal before we get into option/resigning territory in 2025. That is not far off.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Two things jump out at me. 

1. They hit on their big name FAs. (yes they lost Reiff to injury but Awuzie, Hendrickson and Apple have been very good for them). 

2. They hit on their top draft picks. (Chase, Carman, Ossai...and I'm going to throw in McPherson for good measure)

Apart from staying healthy

thats it right there. no more that needs to be said.

Hendrickson 16 gms.............. Lawson.. ZERO gms

Apple 16 gms.............. Awuzie 14 gms........... Joyner. ZERO gms..... Maye 6 gms

Chase 17 gms............... Higgins 14 gms.........Moore 11 gms.........Davis 9 gms.

Mixon 16 gms............MC1 14 gms

Jarred Davis 9 gms....

JD might have hit on his FAs too if they all didnt get hurt . thats are biggest need. to fix that otherwise it doesnt matter who we draft or sign

• Upvote 1

I am not a neutral Zach observer but if you did not notice the leaps and bounds by which he not only improved but calmed down as the season neared its end coupled with him losing every playmaker he had than you are just not seeing past the bias. I see no reason not to think Zach will take a huge leap in 2022. 

Leaps and bounds? He was awful I the 2nd half of the season. Downright awful. Yes, he was even more awful the first half of the season, but let’s calm down on the leaps and bounds nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

thats it right there. no more that needs to be said.

Hendrickson 16 gms.............. Lawson.. ZERO gms

Apple 16 gms.............. Awuzie 14 gms........... Joyner. ZERO gms..... Maye 6 gms

Chase 17 gms............... Higgins 14 gms.........Moore 11 gms.........Davis 9 gms.

Mixon 16 gms............MC1 14 gms

Jarred Davis 9 gms....

JD might have hit on his FAs too if they all didnt get hurt . thats are biggest need. to fix that otherwise it doesnt matter who we draft or sign

And Eli ******* Apple saving the game multiple times yesterday??? He sucked so badly for the giants it was fun to watch, then the saints.  I felt bad because I wanted to draft him out of Ohio State back when, but now he goes to Cincy and is good, finally?? This is getting a bit karmic.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Like you I wrote I am pro-Zach, pro-believing the likely improvement in year two...

Leap or a huge leap... it's semantics until the year ahead plays out.

We both believe, we both agree on a leaping Zach Wilson in year two.

23 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Leaps and bounds? He was awful I the 2nd half of the season. Downright awful. Yes, he was even more awful the first half of the season, but let’s calm down on the leaps and bounds nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Whatever dude, I might be biased in favor of Zach a bit but your hatred is just irrational and you continuously say things that are flat out untrue.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Have to hope for the Josh Allen path

Just heard Tanny on Bart and Hahn about Josh Allen, said a QB has only so many hits in him.  Sure he's big and strong but so was Cam until the hits started to mount, he hurt his shoulder and was never really the same.

Allen is playing with fire.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Just heard Tanny on Bart and Hahn about Josh Allen, said a QB has only so many hits in him.  Sure he's big and strong but so was Cam until the hits started to mount, he hurt his shoulder and was never really the same.

Allen is playing with fire.

So? For a decade the Jets have been playing with crayons at QB. I'd take fire in a heartbeat.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Oh No GIF

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

yea, but, 

Jets.