Our horrendous draft history from 2012-2020

Yup....And then we get threads that state that things can be fixed in a matter of two years.  

If you look at the drafts of the Bengals from around then, you see players like Jessie Bates, Joe Mixon, Tee Higgins, Sam Hubbard, Hakeem Adeniji, Jonah Williams, Tyler Boyd, C.J. Uzomah, Trey Hopkins, Germaine Pratt, Cam Sample, Drew Sample, Logan Wilson.....

Most of there starting offense was drafted by them over the pasta five years.

So yeah, there is that little bit of evidence which kinda sh*t-cans this thread.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Damn I cringe so hard viewing that 2020 class, hopefully Becton can turn it around but Christ the players taken around the JAGs we selected 😬 yikes!

jD you pull another 2020 this year and you will be gone sooner rather then later 

• Upvote 2

The terrible New York Jets draft results go far beyond just missing on picks.

- Totally misreading character issues on players and passing on certain players due to these issues (who turn out to be great and have few if any issues going forward)   While at the same time drafting guys with issues who turn out to be dumb asses.

- Absolutely no idea do positional value and how hard or easy it is to get starters in various positions.  To go along with this zero clue to see where the NFL is going with rule changes and favoring one side of the ball over the other.

- Drafting too much for a coaches 'scheme'.  I still see some of our more loyal fans on this site totally giving the gm a free pass and saying such dumbassery as 'oh he picked that guy for Gase or Ryan or Bowles'

- No clue at all of a long term team building plan.  (See McCagnan drafting like 3 olineman in 5 drafts when he 100% knew he had to get a young franchise QB)

- Not trading down when the oppo was there at times and making utterly stupid trade ups such as mcaganans 3 seconds to move up like 3 spots when he had no idea which qb was going to be there.

It's sad when pretty literally any one of about 20 guys in this site in the draft forum would have done a vastly better job than our pros.

Edit:  Oh have to add one more for our prestn GM.

Douglas has failed to double dip in areas of strength his 1st to drafts that have hurt us.  He may have learned a bit last year in the later art of the draft though so there is hope.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

58 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Damn I cringe so hard viewing that 2020 class, hopefully Becton can turn it around but Christ the players taken around the JAGs we selected 😬 yikes!

jD you pull another 2020 this year and you will be gone sooner rather then later 

There was actually people putting out videos 4 months ago about how that draft class was underrated and that Mims, Perine, and Zuniga were gonna have big years. Jets Youtube is pretty funny.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, undertow said:

There was actually people putting out videos 4 months ago how that draft class was underrated and that Mims, Perine, and Zuniga were gonna have big years. Jets Youtube is pretty funny.

In fact, I can add on pretty much every platform in which humans can express themselves as including people who said that the 2020 draft class was going to have monster 2nd years. The whole internet is a joke sometimes

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hex said:

In fact, I can add on pretty much every platform in which humans can express themselves as including people who said that the 2020 draft class was going to have monster 2nd years. The whole internet is a joke sometimes

People have gotten pretty passionate about Joe Douglas and defending every move he's ever made.... it's made people look pretty silly at times.  Not a Douglas hater I think he's had a pretty good last year but it's OK to admit he's made a bunch of mistakes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yup....And then we get threads that state that things can be fixed in a matter of two years.  

If you look at the drafts of the Bengals from around then, you see players like Jessie Bates, Joe Mixon, Tee Higgins, Sam Hubbard, Hakeem Adeniji, Jonah Williams, Tyler Boyd, C.J. Uzomah, Trey Hopkins, Germaine Pratt, Cam Sample, Drew Sample, Logan Wilson.....

Most of there starting offense was drafted by them over the pasta five years.

So yeah, there is that little bit of evidence which kinda sh*t-cans this thread.  

What sh*tcans this thread? What claim did I make? 

I said that we have had horrendous drafts and that we need more drafts like 2021 and no more 2020esque drafts. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

- Drafting too much for a coaches 'scheme'.  I still see some of our more loyal fans on this site totally giving the gm a free pass and saying such dumbassery as 'oh he picked that guy for Gase or Ryan or Bowles'

There are dimwits who don't understand that some players fit a scheme and others don't. Glad that you aren't one of those low information Jets fans don't understand that.

11 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I would be for a league rule that dictates that if you can't field a winning team, you have to sell the team. I say this half-joking. 

I get it, but what the Jets have done with their drafts hinges on criminal negligence. It's hard to be that bad even if you try.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

There are dimwits who don't understand that some players fit a scheme and others don't. Glad that you aren't one of those low information Jets fans don't understand that.

Draft for rex ryan and his coaches for 3 years...oh we now have bowles and his crew, draft for them and have to get rid of rexs guys, bowles is gone, oh now we have gase draft for him and his crew and the guys we drafted a year ago don't fit a scheme...oh wait, now we have a new coach and new schemes....the players we drafted a year or so ago don;t fit, draft for a nw coach and scheme.

Yes it is dimwit drafting as an organization.  You draft good players, make it work or gtfo and guess what after 4 or 5 years of drafting good players you have a good team.

There are very few pittsburgh and new englands that have the same crew for 15 years.

7 hours ago, Origen said:

And if you go back further you get to, "Who?" picks waaaaay too often.  Honestly for many players the only time you ever heard their name was when the Jets drafted them.

Good strategy - double dip at positions of draft depth / team need

Bad strategy - do it with guy like ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Draft for rex ryan and his coaches for 3 years...oh we now have bowles and his crew, draft for them and have to get rid of rexs guys, bowles is gone, oh now we have gase draft for him and his crew and the guys we drafted a year ago don't fit a scheme...oh wait, now we have a new coach and new schemes....the players we drafted a year or so ago don;t fit, draft for a nw coach and scheme.

Yes it is dimwit drafting as an organization.  You draft good players, make it work or gtfo and guess what after 4 or 5 years of drafting good players you have a good team.

There are very few pittsburgh and new englands that have the same crew for 15 years.

THIS……… 

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That only works if you have good coaches that know how to coach to a players strength, instead of their scheme... Problem with the JETS and their GM/Coaches, is we've never done a good job of that. Hence why we have a bunch of GM's that have only drafted towards their coaches schemes, and why we have to keep replenishing the roster.

10 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Can we get the worst that Florida, Louisville and USC can offer please.   Just stop with these schools already 

boy, there's something to be said for that.  i can't see usc on the list because they do put out some good plyers, just not qb's.  louisville, who knows.  becton may turn out to be super but the jets certainly got burned by hitman pryor and mauldin.

• Upvote 1

To quote Miracle Max from Princess Bride ... "thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it!"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The terrible New York Jets draft results go far beyond just missing on picks.

- Totally misreading character issues on players and passing on certain players due to these issues (who turn out to be great and have few if any issues going forward)   While at the same time drafting guys with issues who turn out to be dumb asses.

- Absolutely no idea do positional value and how hard or easy it is to get starters in various positions.  To go along with this zero clue to see where the NFL is going with rule changes and favoring one side of the ball over the other.

- No clue at all of a long term team building plan.  (See McCagnan drafting like 3 olineman in 5 drafts when he 100% knew he had to get a young franchise QB)

- Not trading down when the oppo was there at times and making utterly stupid trade ups such as mcaganans 3 seconds to move up like 3 spots when he had no idea which qb was going to be there.

It's sad when pretty literally any one of about 20 guys in this site in the draft forum would have done a vastly better job than our pros.

Edit:  Oh have to add one more for our prestn GM.

Douglas has failed to double dip in areas of strength his 1st to drafts that have hurt us.  He may have learned a bit last year in the later art of the draft though so there is hope.

^An accurate and detailed summary.  Thank You.