The Bengals are Not a Comparator for the Jets

17 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I posted this in another thread, but it deserves its own thread.  This narrative that the Jets rebuild is taking too long because the Bengals made the SB this season is just misplaced. This narrative  doesn't work with the Bengals as an example. The Bengals don't have a "GM."  The owner, Mike Brown, is the GM. He has been the owner and GM since 1991 - 31 years. So this is not a 2-year rebuild.  Brown has been rebuilding for 31 years.    Brown has been criticized for decades for just about everything, but mainly for his refusal to hire a GM and for being cheap (the Bengals have one of the smallest and lowest budget scouting departments in the NFL).   Should JD get 31 years too?  

In those 31 years, the Bengals did not win a single solitary playoff game until this season.  They had not played in a playoff game since 2015.  Zach Taylor, the head coach, was 6-25-1 in his first two seasons.  Saleh is likely to win more games by the end of September 2022.  

The  only thing that happened two years ago that was new was drafting Burrow with the #1 pick after stinking it up with a new coaching staff - but the same ole front office - in 2018.

So the GM has been there for 31 years. The HC has been there for 3 years.  In fact, there is nothing similar between the Jets rebuild and the Bengals rebuild at all.  Not. One Thing.   Except the Bengals were smart enough to actually get the first pick when they stunk in 2019 and the Jets won two - count em- meaningless late season games in 2020 and lost out on that #1 pick.  This isn't year 2 of anything for the Bengals except the QB, for whatever that means.  

The stars just aligned for them and their ship finally came in. Lets face it, what is the chance that your QB no matter how good after an injury where the ball of the knee looked like it came out of his leg and almost broke through the skin plays lights out a year later. 

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

not to rain on the bungles too much, it should be pointed out that they had a 4-11-1 record in 2020 and 2-14 in 2019.  even this past season they achieved a 10-7 record.  we're not really taking a dynastic juggernaut here.  oh they should be pleased at reaching the superbowl but it's more like a wild card team that gets hots at the right time.

I usually agree with you on most things, but I think you’re off base here.

Look at their team, then look at their division. The Steelers need a QB now, they’re trending down. I love Mayfield ( he’s my favorite player) but I’ll admit he no Burrow, and even if he was he doesn’t have the offensive weapons Burrow has. The Ravens seem to have peaked, so this AFC North is there for the taking, and the Bengals seem primed to take advantage,

it looks like they’ll be a playoff contender for at least the next 5 years. The Jets? We’re way behind Buffalo, and finished what? 5-6 games behind Miami and New England? It’s hard to make a case there’s any similarity with the two teams.

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

not to rain on the bungles too much, it should be pointed out that they had a 4-11-1 record in 2020 and 2-14 in 2019.  even this past season they achieved a 10-7 record.  we're not really taking a dynastic juggernaut here.  oh they should be pleased at reaching the superbowl but it's more like a wild card team that gets hots at the right time.

Wait, so now it’s not about making it to or winning a Super Bowl, it’s about being a Dynasty?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wait, so now it’s not about making it to or winning a Super Bowl, it’s about being a Dynasty?

On top of that, why is everyone that is pointing out the Bengals record in 2020 failing to mention that Burrow went down for the season in week 11? I’m sure that affected the team’s record.

15 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I usually agree with you on most things, but I think you’re off base here.

Look at their team, then look at their division. The Steelers need a QB now, they’re trending down. I love Mayfield ( he’s my favorite player) but I’ll admit he no Burrow, and even if he was he doesn’t have the offensive weapons Burrow has. The Ravens seem to have peaked, so this AFC North is there for the taking, and the Bengals seem primed to take advantage,

it looks like they’ll be a playoff contender for at least the next 5 years. The Jets? We’re way behind Buffalo, and finished what? 5-6 games behind Miami and New England? It’s hard to make a case there’s any similarity with the two teams.

their division will be pretty sucky with the steelers retooling and the browns needing to look beyond mayfield but they still have to deal with the ravens and it's not like the steelers are going to be completely down the toilet.  heck watt had 22.5 sacks and tomlin has been a very good coach for a very long time.  the bungles? they got in the playoffs and stepped it up much like the giaints did and even what the jets did back in 2009 (remember rex's we have no hope of making the playoffs speech?).

i don't know if any team will be able to go on a run like the patsies or steelers or even the seahawks.  i think it may be more up and down like we saw with the scams and the niners.  and so much is dependent on the performance of the qb.

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

i just don't see them putting together a really long streak of playoff appearances.  burrow certainly looks like the real deal but it's not like they dominated the season.  they won 10 with a weak schedule.