Jets listed as possible Jimmy G landing spot

kevinc855

He's not going to want to go from starting a close championship game to backup, or even starter, on a team that didn't even break .500. He's going somewhere he can be the starter on a competitive team. I'm not 100% sold that SF cuts him loose but if they do Pittsburgh would be an ideal spot. It's another playoff competitive team missing a QB.

The funniest result would be if Brady retires and he replaces him and gets to a super bowl next year.

I don't know if I'd give up any draft capital for him, but I would 100% sign him to be the backup.

Folks, I know nobody wants to hear this, but there's a very real possibility Zach Wilson sucks. For the sake of the rebuild and seeing what we have in the rest of our offense signing a veteran QB with experience winning playoff games in this offense strikes me as an obvious, slam dunk move. 

Like, do people really want to roll into next year with Joe Flacco?

Don't worry about the cap space. We're going to strike out on the premier FAs and continue to have tons of space until we actually start drafting players worthy of extensions.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The reason you bring in a Jimmy G for a year is that you can actually evaluate the roster if Zach is struggling. There were times last year where the QB was clearly holding the team back. 

He's a guy who will do well in a good situation - If he comes in and does well then Douglas has done some good work and the QB is the issue. 

It's easy to just say we'll sink or swim with Wilson but our jobs aren't on the line. 

We have never brought in a player who would be meaningful competition to our young, highly drafted QBs.  Not Sanchez, not Darnold, not Wilson last year, and we're certainly not going to start this year.  Fear of them being upstaged easily, I'd guess.

Wilson is handed the job, and if he struggles, we lose football games.

Why would that change now?

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

No way in hell. Please post article. Should have happen last year. 

He's not a backup. He's a starter. And he would want starter QB money. Maybe not big starter money. But starter. He nearly brought his team to the SB. He's an NFCCG QB. He would be a starter on this team unless Zach had some sort of magical awakening in the offseason and started playing absolutely lights out. 

Jimmy G makes no sense for this team. They need a guy like Chase Daniel, or Hoyer, or Dalton or Fitz. A vet on the cheap who can mentor Zach (whatever you want that to mean) and step in if Zach gets hurt and keep this team on a steady course. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The reason you bring in a Jimmy G for a year is that you can actually evaluate the roster if Zach is struggling. There were times last year where the QB was clearly holding the team back. 

He's a guy who will do well in a good situation - If he comes in and does well then Douglas has done some good work and the QB is the issue. 

It's easy to just say we'll sink or swim with Wilson but our jobs aren't on the line. 

I agree with your first part, and that's what Joe Flacco may have shown us.  But in the latter part of the year I think we saw it was the lack of playmakers, drops, etc. that may have been holding the QB back.  I think this team needs to grow together.  I haven't seen enough from Zach to know if he'll be below average, average, or even potentially excellent.  BUT I have seen enough in how he operates with the current substandard roster to know that Jimmy G wouldn't be a significant upgrade at all.  

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

No, you play Wilson every snap if he’s healthy so he can develop.  You don’t sit him for Jimmy G.  
No one’s job is on the line and you don’t sign players because you’re afraid of losing your job.  

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Was he listed as a "possible landing spot" for all 32 teams?  (Or maybe 31 if they eliminate SF)

9 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know if I'd give up any draft capital for him, but I would 100% sign him to be the backup.

Folks, I know nobody wants to hear this, but there's a very real possibility Zach Wilson sucks. For the sake of the rebuild and seeing what we have in the rest of our offense signing a veteran QB with experience winning playoff games in this offense strikes me as an obvious, slam dunk move. 

Don't worry about the cap space. We're going to strike out on the premier FAs and continue to have tons of space until we actually start drafting players worthy of extensions.

Jimmy G is maybe an average QB. Still Zach in at QB in the game Sunday and I think they have a better chance to win. With what we saw towards the end of the season there is not reason to not think that Zach won't be at least average.

10 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

He's not going to want to go from starting a close championship game to backup, or even starter, on a team that didn't even break .500. He's going somewhere he can be the starter on a competitive team. I'm not 100% sold that SF cuts him loose but if they do Pittsburgh would be an ideal spot. It's another playoff competitive team missing a QB.

The funniest result would be if Brady retires and he replaces him and gets to a super bowl next year.

Jimmy thinks he is still a starter and has already given his farewell speech to the local media but when his agent shops him around there will probably be only 1 or 2 takers. The best I see him getting is a 1 year deal from a team like Pittsburgh or Tampa for $15 Million with the intention clearly expressed that a future Quarterback will be drafted in the next 2 Drafts. The 9ers were not as clear about G's departure. I suspect they will seek to renegotiate the last year of his contract. 10 Million guaranteed for the first half of the regular season with incentives for playing time in the second half.

As to the last point that is about as likely as Garappolo winding up in New England to backup Mac Jones.

Jameis Winston is a free agent in New Orleans and there's no reason why he would go back to the Saints after Payton retiring. If we are giving up on Wilson after one season, I would rather pay Winston money than spend draft capital on trading for Garoppolo.

Let's be real for a second. Wilson and Flacco will be first and second on the quarterback depth chart to open the season this year. Douglas isn't spending any more money on the quarterback room than he has to.

9 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If Wilson is not the answer , there will be another Garappolo type available in free agency next season.  There is no need to give up a draft pick and pay him $20+ million to be the back up QB.  

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Jimmy G is maybe an average QB. Still Zach in at QB in the game Sunday and I think they have a better chance to win. With what we saw towards the end of the season there is not reason to not think that Zach won't be at least average.

I'm sorry, but this is delusional.

He was by just about any measure imaginable the single worst QB in the NFL last year. There are TONS of reasons to think he won't be average." Getting to "average" would require a huge leap -- and yes, let's all hope he makes a huge leap.

Obviously we all hope he builds on late season momentum. But we hoped that with Sam Darnold (who finished stronger than Wilson did) and it never came to fruition.