Jump to content

Jeff Ulbrich


Jetfuel66
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just listened to the Jeff Ulbrich interview on the official Jets podcast.

I have to say it was a really interesting and insightful interview. He explains what this defensive philosophy is and why. He also gets into why they didn't switch the defense around too much, and where he see's things as far as progress. 

I wasn't completely sold on him as a DC but I am now. I believe we are headed for a really dominant defense in the future. 

One of the more interesting things was his take on not changing the scheme from week to week. His thought was not only do you become more proficient as a defence by running the same looks, it also gives you a read into how the opposing offence is going to try to attack you. Once the players master the scheme the offense will find it more and more difficult to attack this defence.

I highly recommend listening. It really cleared up some of my questions regarding this defence.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was saddled with poor talent and the offense rarely helped out but his defense held the opponents under 20 points only twice, yet gave up over 45 three times and was the worst in the league by a mile. 
 

there seemed to be a little improvement against the bucs and bills but giving up the average shouldn’t feel like improvement lol

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made fun of Ulbrich all the time throughout the season and called for him to be fired, but thinking about it with a clearer head I realize that only the best of the best would be able to work with that defense and allow less points. I really undercut him pre-emptively, and I know many people did here. I still want to see how he does with a healthy defense, though. I'm not sold on him until he shows he can do well with a healthy defense, just like all of the other new players and coaches.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no problem with the overall performance of the D, the players stink. What I don’t care for is the simplicity. Saleh saying a monkey can call the D, and Ulbrich not changing schemes week to week. A defense that relies on simplicity also relies on incredible players. On the opposite extreme you have a guy like Belicheck who takes average players and schemes them into position to make plays. He deliberately looks at every player’s strengths and weaknesses and schemes defenses based on that. Without great players a D scheme like ours gets torched, as we’ve all witnessed. My concern is that fact leads to us continuing to draft defense disproportionately.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I have no problem with the overall performance of the D, the players stink. What I don’t care for is the simplicity. Saleh saying a monkey can call the D, and Ulbrich not changing schemes week to week. A defense that relies on simplicity also relies on incredible players. On the opposite extreme you have a guy like Belicheck who takes average players and schemes them into position to make plays. He deliberately looks at every player’s strengths and weaknesses and schemes defenses based on that. Without great players a D scheme like ours gets torched, as we’ve all witnessed. My concern is that fact leads to us continuing to draft defense disproportionately.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yup. Parcells loved the 3-4, but when he got to see the jets team play when he got here he he said this is a 4-3 team. 
 

Forcing a scheme you like onto talent that doesn’t fit it is the exact opposite of what I’m looking for. 
 

and how long does it take to learn the “a monkey can call it” defense?

Im actually discouraged by his comments 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you can see in the playoffs even good D teams are having problems being competitive facing outstanding O players esp in clutch situations at the end of a game. The thing with Ulbrich is all of the times our defense was not competitive. I didn't listen to the interview but halftime adjustments have always been an important part of the game. And opponents this past season did a better job than our coaching staff esp him. So I can't buy this idea that a team can't change D schemes during the course of a game when what they have prepared for is not working. Also if you do the same thing every game opponents will be able to prepare for you and know what to expect. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you do not change your defense at all depending on who you play you lose a lot of games and give up 54 points.

Now last year the excuse is 'learn the scheme' 'lots of rookies' 'we are in development mode'

They better be substantially better this year or he can look for a new job.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yup. Parcells loved the 3-4, but when he got to see the jets team play when he got here he he said this is a 4-3 team. 
 

Forcing a scheme you like onto talent that doesn’t fit it is the exact opposite of what I’m looking for. 
 

and how long does it take to learn the “a monkey can call it” defense?

Im actually discouraged by his comments 

Then why did that fat **** trade down (from two HOF LTs) to draft an ILB to play OLB and then play 3-4 in 1997?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetfuel66 said:

I just listened to the Jeff Ulbrich interview on the official Jets podcast.

I have to say it was a really interesting and insightful interview. He explains what this defensive philosophy is and why. He also gets into why they didn't switch the defense around too much, and where he see's things as far as progress. 

I wasn't completely sold on him as a DC but I am now. I believe we are headed for a really dominant defense in the future. 

One of the more interesting things was his take on not changing the scheme from week to week. His thought was not only do you become more proficient as a defence by running the same looks, it also gives you a read into how the opposing offence is going to try to attack you. Once the players master the scheme the offense will find it more and more difficult to attack this defence.

I highly recommend listening. It really cleared up some of my questions regarding this defence.

i think that josh mccdondles shoulduv; been in mnew york jets next yeaer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Then why did that fat **** trade down (from two HOF LTs) to draft an ILB to play OLB and then play 3-4 in 1997?

Ask him. It’s a pretty famous Parcells quote 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets are heading into Year 3 of the rebuild on offense.  It started with significant veteran signings like Fant, McGovern, etc.  It progressed to using both 1st and 2nd round picks on offense with Becton and Mims.  It progressed further by signing Corey Davis, drafting a QB at #2 and then using the next 3 picks in a row (including a trade up) for an OG, WR, and RB.

By contrast, this is really Year 1 of the rebuild on Defense in my opinion.  Think about it.  Carl Lawson was the only major talent addition and he has played 0 snaps for the Jets.  They've hung onto Mosley because his contract can't be traded.  They have QW who has been good but not as great as his Draft position would suggest.  Sure, the Jets have sprinkled in some things like late round developmental draft picks and FAs (Huff, Nasirildeen, Sherwood, Pinnock, MCII, Echols) and they extended JFM.  But again... other than coaching and teaching, has there been any real investment to improve the defense yet?  Not really IMO.  Again, I'm ignoring Carl Lawson because he hasn't seen the field yet.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do as he says, not as he does? 

He was a couple byars fumbles and a bizarre kick off from taking this miserable franchise to the super bowl.  Not sure why you are all upset so many years later.   I’m flattered you think I know the answer, but again you would have to ask him. Repeating your point won’t change that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

He was a couple byars fumbles and a bizarre kick off from taking this miserable franchise to the super bowl.  Not sure why you are all upset so many years later.   I’m flattered you think I know the answer, but again you would have to ask him. Repeating your point won’t change that. 

You are citing him as an example of somebody that didn't use his system, but adapted to the players he had.  You state that he looked at the Jets and called them a 4-3 team.  Well, he ran a 3-4.  He drafted Farrior instead of 2 HOF LT, brought in Ernie Logan and Rick Lyle and ran a 3-4.  He also ran one of his best defensive players out of town because he "didn't fit the system."  Then he spent the rest of his time here trying to replace that pass rush.  Much as I hate that fat ****, he was an excellent coach, but adaptability was not his strong suit.  He may have been the most guilty of bringing in "his guys" in the NFL.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i don't think he said he plays the same defense on every down.  what he said was he gives the offense the same look.  a disguise without a disguise.  from the same look the players will execute the defense differently depending on what the offense does.  the jets suffered from having a new scheme, too many injuries, and not enough talent especially at lb and edge.  lawson will come back and give them one edge player.  they should be able to get a good edge and lb in the draft.  then we'll see.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

You are citing him as an example of somebody that didn't use his system, but adapted to the players he had.  You state that he looked at the Jets and called them a 4-3 team.  Well, he ran a 3-4.  He drafted Farrior instead of 2 HOF LT, brought in Ernie Logan and Rick Lyle and ran a 3-4.  He also ran one of his best defensive players out of town because he "didn't fit the system."  Then he spent the rest of his time here trying to replace that pass rush.  Much as I hate that fat ****, he was an excellent coach, but adaptability was not his strong suit.  He may have been the most guilty of bringing in "his guys" in the NFL.

AA140702-755D-486A-BC4A-E3E1A77B5FB4.jpeg.4343ce91b89edf4e760e803d6126f593.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Not sure why so many guys want him fired. His defensive MVP jogged around all season. And I know CJ led the team in tackles but imagine how many tackles he would have had he been able to run.
Can’t wait for that guy to be replaced.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We have at least one more year with CJ due to his bloated contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To share a quote from the movie Animal House , "This guy is a total loser"

Young players, injuries, blah, blah Blah.

Jets D was ranked 31st in a lot of categories. D- Line, the strength (?) of the team sucked.

Running a vanilla D every single f-ing game leads to 40's and 50's being put up on you.

D line, barely any slants, stunts or twists.

Blitzing?

Football is a game of strategy.

This guy should be fired.

Brick's philosophy is all brakes, out of gas.

Lets get a guy running the D with a set of balls that goes for the kill

Saleh's Moto was "Violence for 60 minutes"

 

4) Kyle Hamilton

10) Nakobe Dean

 

Young, fast, play makers!

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...