Open Competition between Becton and Fant at LT, per Saleh

Legit concern to weigh Becton's upside with Fant's proven pass protection in this system. I'd lean towards Fant at LT as default, because that's then fewer changing/moving parts from '21 to '22, but I can get their excitement over Becton & AVT next to each other.

Plus Fant is further proven to be more versatile in terms of a sudden change in need. If the LT goes down, I'd probably have more confidence in Fant suddenly switching sides than Becton, purely because he just did that (and did it well).

It'd also make Fant much more replaceable (if it works out, having Becton at LT again), as RTs are easier to find, cheaper to sign in FA, and lower to draft if it goes that way. 

Assuming Becton doesn't repeat his 2021 season, though, it'd be a great problem to have where both tackles can play both sides without disaster ensuing. 

Best news = no burning pick #4 or #10 on another OT. Combined with Douglas happy to have his FA center look good after looking like a terrible pickup a year earlier, he gets to keep more of the same people on the OL. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Legit concern to weigh Becton's upside with Fant's proven pass protection in this system. I'd lean towards Fant at LT as default, because that's then fewer changing/moving parts from '21 to '22, but I can get their excitement over Becton & AVT next to each other.

Plus Fant is further proven to be more versatile in terms of a sudden change in need. If the LT goes down, I'd probably have more confidence in Fant suddenly switching sides than Becton, purely because he just did that (and did it well).

It'd also make Fant much more replaceable (if it works out, having Becton at LT again), as RTs are easier to find, cheaper to sign in FA, and lower to draft if it goes that way. 

Assuming Becton doesn't repeat his 2021 season, though, it'd be a great problem to have where both tackles can play both sides without disaster ensuing. 

Best news = no burning pick #4 or #10 on another OT. Combined with Douglas happy to have his FA center look good after looking like a terrible pickup a year earlier, he gets to keep more of the same people on the OL. 

Saleh also said drafting a left tackle is on the table.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know. I think what'd be terrible for Douglas is if Saleh said he wants no part of Becton anymore. This? This is nothing. 

The goal in drafting Becton was to get the LT spot filled. If it's ultimately filled by Fant - because he's doing an above-average job protecting the QB's blind side - and Becton moves over to RT instead, it's still mission accomplished even if in a different way than planned. That is, provided Becton doesn't repeat his 2021 season. 

I'd still want JD to sign more than a McDermott/Edoga type as a backup plan, but having two legit LT starters means that backup plan can exclusively be a pure RT if needed. Just easier to shop for, I'd think.

It’s terrible that it’s come down to this for your supposed franchise LT. 
Hopefully it still all works out for Becton. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Saleh also said drafting a left tackle is on the table.

because the Jets are now a well run organization and Saleh knows from his meeting with JD that the #4  and #10 picks have increased value if teams looking for a LT think we might take a LT in the first round.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Terrible for Douglas and the team as a whole. But love that from Saleh. This isn’t being handed to you. Get off your ass

Not at all. He hired a guy who doesn't hand anything to his players. Becton is going to win the job, handily, and this will be nothing more than a good optics move by Saleh.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

They must be extremely  pissed off at Becton to say this publicly.  

Yes and no. This is a loud and clear message to Becton that how he handles the offseason will determine if he plays and earns a second contract. The team is high on what Becton can do, and they are trying to light a fire under his anus. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

First. So 31 or 32. They need OL help and Becton would still be considered a better prospect than any tackle they are likely to pick there, and teams tend to be very open to "fixing" first rounders.

i wouldnt give a 1st rd to a guy who just missed the whole year and some of his first.

out of 33 potential games Becton has play in less than half, (15). besides you can find good OL in the later rds. 

• Upvote 1