Stephen Ross offered Brian Flores $100,000 for each game he lost/ Flores also suing Giants for racism

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

I wasn't around at the time, but I'm pretty sure that the people doing slave labor on plantations were not being paid millions for their labor like a lot of NFL players.

I'm sure those plantation owners weren't sharing in TV revenue either.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Man our jets are off the hook. Weve had more black head coaches than anyone. And now a muslim. 

Interesting that you associated Saleh's minority status with being Muslim.  He's an ethnic minority as an Arab American with Lebanese heritage.  He could be a Christian (like Danny Thomas, another famous Lebanese American) and would still be considered a minority.

40 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Because I don't put any emphasis on skin color which is why I don't care that it's mostly white coaches.  I do not believe owners are not hiring the candidates because they are black.  I believe they are hiring the best candidates because they want to win no matter their skin color.  

I would like to believe that last sentence but so many times the owners make a hire that completely throws that out the window.

Does anyone really think based on their performance as a head coach that Josh McDaniels is a better candidate then Jim Caldwell, Marvin Lewis, Lovey Smith or I will even include Todd Bowles?

He is just 1 example of many that occur year over year. 

I get the response that the owners can hire whoever they want and that is their right, then the NFL needs to knock off the BS of equality, and all of their other catch sayings on helmets, cleats etc.  because it is simply not being translated to what is happening at the org level.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Of course we are all talking about race, but the story with actual meat (and specific allegations) is that Ross offered his coach 100K for every loss in 2019. That is a big deal and will have him in hot water for a very long time. 

the race stuff can't be fixed overnight.  the bigger issue is throwing the games.

the tanking is going at the integrity of the game.  This owner should be in hot water and the organization should lose significant draft picks if this is true.  Like multiple 1st rounders.

59 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I have a question. Its in jest, but  not really:

If we are worrying about head coaches matching population demographic numbers, why cant white players complain that they are not represented enough AS PLAYERS? Shouldn’t it work both way to be fair? If players are only 25% white shouldnt the NFL take measures to level that playing field as well?

I don't think that's the issue.   Our Constitution specifically protects African Americans as part of the post civil war amendments.   They, the minority race specifically are entitled to equal treatment.  When they aren't given it and they prove it they can seek remedy for the discrimination.   While it doesn't necessarily apply specificly to business, the NFL has a special exclusion from anti-trust by the federal government.

I suspect in this case Flores is complaining that his civil rights are being denied because he isn't getting equal treatment based on race.  

I'm not a lawyer but I suspect that's in place.  I suspect you could argue that the Roney rule was an attempt to remedy the issue.  If the remedy isn't working or it's being undermined it may be actionable.  

I'm not a lawyer but I'm sure there are some very good ones on this board who can put me in my place on this.

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's interesting how often white men think nothing is ever due to racism or sexism.

Because for some strange reason people think that if one white or a group of whites are doing racist or sexist stuff it looks bad on all white people.

Black people do the same crap when a black or group of black do something wrong, everyone is always in defense mode.

only a few on this planet truly understand that evil and greed is colorblind and the people at the top of all colors and nations pull this same  crap to try and keep us divided and fighting 

What’s actually ironic and likely driving the deficiency of black HC’s is the fact there’s a huge deficiency of black OC’s, which given the league is so heavily driven by offense it makes some sense. By my unofficial count I found 2 black OC’s and 8 black DC’s. I’d be curious why this is the case

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, Snell41 said:

What’s actually ironic and likely driving the deficiency of black HC’s is the fact there’s a huge deficiency of black OC’s, which given the league is so heavily driven by offense it makes some sense. By my unofficial count I found 2 black OC’s and 8 black DC’s. I’d be curious why this is the case

Forgot who it was, but a black coach said he became a defensive coach because that made him more likely to be hired.

7 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Just watched the interview on Youtube and some of his answers were vague while others were straight forward.  His lawyers say they want more black ownership in the NFL.  There's a team for sale right now in Denver.  

Which is why a lot of this doesn’t resonate. Regular football fans have nothing in common  with billionaires. Why is Flores making this part of  his cause? It’s a bit confusing. Is his beef with the Giants and Dolphins or billionaires yon general?  If it’s the latter then get in line. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

So it's 26-1 but it's not based on race whatsoever? Not even a little? 

Well to assume that its based on race is to assume that there needs to be quota of black coaches in the league and the quota of black coaches are actually more qualified/deserving than the white coaches that are in their place.  Who knows if that's true or not?  But to jump to race just because the equality of the outcome is not what you want is stupid.  

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the race stuff can't be fixed overnight.  the bigger issue is throwing the games.

the tanking is going at the integrity of the game.  This owner should be in hot water and the organization should lose significant draft picks if this is true.  Like multiple 1st rounders.

Well according to reports it s not just him or the dolphins

This is just the tip of the iceberg 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

2004, at the age of 23, Flores joined the Patriots as a scouting assistant, the same year the franchise won its third Super Bowl title in Super Bowl XXXIX. He became a pro scout in 2006 before getting promoted to Bill Belichick's coaching staff in 2008, serving as a special teams coaching assistant until the end of the 2009 season. His title was changed to assistant coach offense/special teams in 2010. He was named defensive assistant in 2011, where Flores and the Patriots would appear in Super Bowl XLVI, but lost 21–17 to the New York Giants in a rematch of Super Bowl XLII. In 2012, he was named safeties' coach. In his four-year tenure as safeties' coach, the Patriots defeated the Seattle Seahawks to win their fourth Super Bowl title in Super Bowl XLIX. Flores was named linebackers' coach ahead of the 2016 season. That same year, Flores and the Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI after the Patriots were down 3–28, would rally to win the game 34–28 in the first Super Bowl to be decided in overtime. A day after the Patriots lost Super Bowl LII to the Philadelphia Eagles, long-time assistant Matt Patricia left to become the new head coach of the Detroit Lions, and Flores would take over the Patriots' defensive playcalling duties, but was not given the title of defensive coordinator.[3] In Flores' last game with the Patriots, Super Bowl LIII, they defeated the Los Angeles Rams 13–3 in both a rematch of Super Bowl XXXVI and the lowest-scoring Super Bowl in NFL history.

It's pretty clear BB fast tracked him to getting a HC gig.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, BallinPB said:

Well to assume that its based on race is to assume that there needs to be quota of black coaches in the league and the quota of black coaches are actually more qualified/deserving than the white coaches that are in their place.  Who knows if that's true or not?  But to jump to race just because the equality of the outcome is not what you want is stupid.  

If you're not sure if it's true or not, why is it stupid?

19 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Pretty sure he made the leap just like Harbaugh did from special teams coach to head coach, if I'm not mistaken. The better question would be how could someone like Josh McCown be on his second interview for the Texans job when he's never sniffed a coaching position?  At least Flores took over play calling duties with the Patriots.  Below is his ascent through the coaching ranks:

2004 — Joins the New England Patriots as a scouting assistant
2006 — Becomes a pro scout
2008 –  Promoted to coaching staff as a special teams coaching assistant
2010 — Title changes from offensive assistant coach to special teams
2011 –  Named defensive assistant
2012 –  Promoted to safeties’ coach.
2016 –  Named linebackers’ coach.
2018 –  Takes over defensive play-calling duties.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

I have a question. Its in jest, but  not really:

If we are worrying about head coaches matching population demographic numbers, why cant white players complain that they are not represented enough AS PLAYERS? Shouldn’t it work both way to be fair? If players are only 25% white shouldnt the NFL take measures to level that playing field as well?

There are clear, observable measures as to who is the best running back.  Not so with coaches.

There is your real answer to your fake question.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BallinPB said:

No it doesn't.  Individuals can be descriminated against because of race with or without quota's.   The league or the Court may want to impose quota's as part of a remedy.  That's a different argument.  

The Roney rule itself was an attempt by the NFL to remedy institutional racism that they themselves acknowledged.

Just now, ZachEY said:

Twitters wrongest man is here!

In defense here, people here use the excuse how did this (insert white man) get a head coaching job over (insert black coordinator who's been in the league many years coaching).  It happens both ways.  I'm sure Brian Flores got the job in Miami over many seemingly more qualified candidates he went against.  

The Marvin Lewis account just proves this might end up a sh*t show whether Flores wins or not.  Additionally, asking your team to take a dive is just crazy.  I know we joke, hell I've even advocated for the jets to tank, but imagine hearing Woody paying people to lose?  This whole board would implode!  Ross might be in deep sh*t if any of this is true, because let's say Flores took the money, his reputation is tarnished forever and Ross just retreats to the shadows denying everything.  Then who's gonna hire Flores with a crap record?  So many moving parts with this one, I'm more fascinated about that.  The race thing is a microcosm of the nation and still continues to be a blight on our history as a country.  Wish racism wasn't even a thing anymore tbh

Forgot who it was, but a black coach said he became a defensive coach because that made him more likely to be hired.

Exactly, it reminds me of the mindset of not so long ago days that black people weren’t smart enough to play QB. In terms of complexity Defense is definitely simpler than Offense. I’m wondering if team leadership is applying that same mindset to the OC position, whether consciously or not, and the repercussion of that is only now rearing it’s head since offense is the hot ticket these days

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BallinPB said:

Because I don't put any emphasis on skin color which is why I don't care that it's mostly white coaches.  I do not believe owners are not hiring the candidates because they are black.  I believe they are hiring the best candidates because they want to win no matter their skin color.  

That line is not mutually exclusive with racial bias.

For hypothetical example:  An owner who thinks or in any way subconsciously feels that black men are less intelligent or worse leaders or less responsible/capable than white men would still be "hiring the best candidate to win" as HE sees it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1