Stephen Ross offered Brian Flores $100,000 for each game he lost/ Flores also suing Giants for racism

Rhg1084

If he has any way of proving Ross offered him money to lose games and tamper with another player, and got fired after he refused? Then I think he's got a good case, going 9-8 with a crappy QB who padded his still-mediocre numbers against the Jets (twice), Giants, Falcons, and Panthers. Also with two of said meh QB's starting WRs out for half/most of the season.

He may not have any more proof than an allegation, which is worth zippo, but if he can get Watson or another former Ross employee - anyone else - to corroborate it, I think he's got a wrongful termination case...except I don't know how much wind is out of that said since his contract is guaranteed (so he's getting that money) anyway. Maybe he could say it harmed his reputation, which harmed his ability to get hired elsewhere, but suing the NFL as well isn't going to help. If he'd only sued Ross alone it'd be stronger. 

But what do I know; I'm just guessing.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Giants said they fully complied.  No idea who but I'm guessing they did it properly.

Not sure how you interview properly, regardless, if they told Bellichick that they were hiring Daboll before they interviewed Flores what does that tell you about their intent? 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Welcome to the real world where organizations/people have favorites in their hiring process, particularly as the process plays out, and not everything is "fair" (in one's eyes). You'd think none of us had lost out to another applicant who may have been:

• Related to an insider.
  • A friend of an insider.
  • A child of an insider.
  • Sleeping with an insider
  • Blew the hiring team out of the water with their interview.
  • Pushed by admin for (insert bs reason here).

Just because you don't get a job it isn't automatically because of superficial reasons, and to brand an organization as racist won't help you now or in the future. Flores seemed like a good/really good coach. That doesn't mean the Giants had to hire him, and couldn't like another guy prior to interviewing Flores who may have just shot himself in the foot with other teams by initiating this lawsuit against the Giants. Sometimes life sucks. There are other applicants who didn't get the job too. What's their remedy? Why didn't they get the job?      

Also, it sounds like the NFL should strip Ross of his ownership (they won't), and penalize the **** out of the Dolphins. Flores should have just gone through the process as having won as a HC speaks for itself and found the right opportunity.

Stopped reading at "Blew the Hiring Team"

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I agree with this. The league can incentivize teams to hire minority coaches with draft compensation, but teams should not be required to interview coaches based on skin color. It only makes minority coaches who get interviewed feel like a token. 

I think they call that racism 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Giants have never had a black head coach and never had a black franchise QB. They could spew all the spin in the world and it won't change anything. No one cares that they "strongly' considered Flores. If Mara really wanted Flores, why not hire him? Mara is acting like he is the Water Boy and not the damn owner. 

If Mara wanted Flores, he would be the HC. 

Jerry Reese was the GM for both Super Bowl teams and Marc Ross was his assistant GM.

There has been a lot of progress relating to black QB’s as many more play the position now. The coach argument you can make, but there are a lot of teams who have never had a black quarterback. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not sure how you interview properly, regardless, if they told Bellichick that they were hiring Daboll before they interviewed Flores what does that tell you about their intent? 

I don't think anyone has any idea what happened, who, whether or when they were interviewed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I don’t think that proves him wrong 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Geno Smith was the Giants franchise QB? He played like 1 game. and the owner fired the Head Coach for playing him that one game. But now I know who I am dealing with so......

At what point did JN lose their sense of humor.  

That was what is colloquially known as an obvious joke.

Geezuz.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What else are they going to say? 
Do you think they are going to say "Um, we interviewed Flores but that was only for show."

I think you might be missing the part where the Giants (reportedly) already interviewed two other minority candidates before Daball, and before Flores.

So no, Flores wasn't for show.  The Giants had already done enough to meet that threshold.

Flores was likely a plan B if Daboll backed out or went elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What else are they going to say? 
Do you think they are going to say "Um, we interviewed Flores but that was only for show."

If the Giants interviewed 2 other minority candidates--real or just to satisy the rule, they had no obligation to interview a third.  

And I HATE the Giants.  We just don't know.  

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It was only a matter of time before the Rooney Rule blew up in the face of the NFL.  

The thing that sucks is, if they go the "give them draft picks" route, we're never getting picks because IMHO Saleh is going to be here for a while.  

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

The thing that sucks is, if they go the "give them draft picks" route, we're never getting picks because IMHO Saleh is going to be here for a while.  

I think they already do. If you hire a minority candidate, don't you get a 3rd comp for 2 years?

I'm not sure the Giants are so worried about this. From all accounts race had nothing to do with their decision (at least not this time).

The Dolphins and Ross on the other hand...if the allegations are true about tampering and offering money in exchange for tanking.......well then, I am going to enjoy watching them burn to the ******* ground.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

But this has to get Ross kicked out of the league I’d assume

The NFL as we all know is famous and good at black listing people. Flores could be joining the list. Look there were 2 black HCs fired this year and 0 hired so far 4 jobs remaining. Jax, Saints, Vikings Texans. So surprised Flores didn’t wait until until all jobs filled. But if he has proof about the owner offering him 100k per game to lose the league has no choice but to fire the owner. Couldn’t happen to a nicer group of guys. 

I think you might be missing the part where the Giants (reportedly) already interviewed two other minority candidates before Daball, and before Flores.
So no, Flores wasn't for show.  The Giants had already done enough to meet that threshold.
Flores was likely a plan B if Daboll backed out or went elsewhere.

This is most likely the case. Happens all the time, you interview someone and know you want them, but continue with other candidates in the event the desired hire declines for whatever reason. Giants were already in compliance with Rooney Rule, and neither Frazier or Graham stood out to them. Also, from a professionalism standpoint you aren’t going to cancel a scheduled interview with a candidate just days before saying “sorry we already found our guy”. No harm in interviewing still, maybe they could have had their next defensive coordinator? If Graham gets hired elsewhere, maybe Flores would have been a DC candidate so they wanted to still bring him in? I could see Miami on the other hand in a lot of trouble with the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

55 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

They told Daboll they would hire him prior to interviewing Flores, which indicates he was just their plausible Rooney Rule patsy.

They had already interviewed Graham I think. He has to have more than this to sue I would think. Belichick just hearing they wanted Dabol doesn’t mean they didn’t interview Flores in good faith. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think they already do. If you hire a minority candidate, don't you get a 3rd comp for 2 years?

I thought the rule was that if you develop a guy and someone else hires him you get the pick, not that you get the pick if you hire the guy

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1