Daniel Jeremiah's top 50

I watched Drake London's highlight videos for the first time.  I see a Michael Thomas style of player.

He's going to make contested catches and has a great catch radius, but he's not going to be getting huge YAC.  Explosive isn't a word I would use to describe him.

There's definitely use in having that type of player, but I don't see a Kupp type of player in there who will take over games and pick up huge yardage by breaking a tackle on a slant route.  He's lean with an injury history, I'd be glad to have him on the team, but I'm not sure about a top 10 pick.

I'm no scout though.

• Upvote 2

Do we take a wr at 10 and if so which one?

Rank

Ohio State · WR · Junior

Wilson is a highly competitive wideout with route polish and excellent run-after-catch ability. He doesn't have elite speed, but gets to his top speed very quickly in the route. He is very crisp at the the top of routes, creating a lot of separation. The Ohio State product makes several plays above the rim and really plays much bigger than his size (6 foot, 188 pounds). He does have a few concentration drops, but I believe that is correctable. Wilson is at his best after the catch, as he can make defenders miss, power through tackles or utilize a stiff arm. I love his competitive nature. Overall, Wilson has a complete skill set and reminds me of Stefon Diggs.

Rank

USC · WR · Junior

London is a jumbo-sized wideout with a rare catch radius and outstanding toughness. He has lined up outside and in the slot. He doesn't have ideal speed, but he's very quick off the line and at the top of his route. He is a nuanced route runner, and it's impressive to see how quickly he can get in and out of breaks at his size (6-5, 210). He dominates on 50/50 balls, making spectacular grabs (SEE: Colorado game). London understands how to use his big body to shield off defenders before attacking the ball. After the catch, he seeks out contact and fights for extra yards. He plays with an edge as a blocker, as well. Overall, some will have concern with his lack of top speed, but he reminds me of Mike Williams coming out of Clemson.

Rank

Arkansas · WR · Junior

Burks is a big (6-3, 225), physical wideout with outstanding run-after-catch ability. He was used in a variety of alignments in the Razorbacks' offense -- outside, in the slot, at running back and as a Wildcat QB. He caught a lot of bubbles, slants and flat routes. Arkansas liked to get the ball in his hands as soon as possible to let him display his speed and physicality after the catch. He wasn't asked to run a full complement of routes, but he's a fluid athlete and should be able to do more at the next level. He likes to cradle-catch balls on his frame, which leads to some drops, but he flashes the ability to high point and finish. Burks will need some time to develop, but he has A.J. Brown-type upside.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

I watched Drake London's highlight videos for the first time.  I see a Michael Thomas style of player.

He's going to make contested catches and has a great catch radius, but he's not going to be getting huge YAC.  Explosive isn't a word I would use to describe him.

There's definitely use in having that type of player, but I don't see a Kupp type of player in there who will take over games and pick up huge yardage by breaking a tackle on a slant route.  He's lean with an injury history, I'd be glad to have him on the team, but I'm not sure about a top 10 pick.

I'm no scout though.

I may be wrong but it feels like:

London - Michael Pittman

Garrett Wilson - Davante Adams

Burks - Deebo

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

I may be wrong but it feels like:

London - Michael Pittman

Garrett Wilson - Davante Adams

Burks - Deebo

Just watched Wilson's highlights for the first time.  I can definitely see that comparison with Adams.  He just makes a move and gets open and makes great catches look easy, it's pretty incredible.

I'd be happy with any of these guys as I think they can all be big pieces in a great offense.

My preference is definitely Wilson and Burks, but not to discount London as he really does remind me of Michael Thomas and I think he's going to be a chain mover.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Jermaine @ 20 - higher than most - that's what I like to see. Anxious to hear how he's doing in Mobile if anyone has any news.

Wilson high, Ekwonu high - I like it.

I also like where Mathis & Wyatt are - definitely interesting possibilities @ the top of round 2.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Do we take a wr at 10 and if so which one?

Rank

Ohio State · WR · Junior

Wilson is a highly competitive wideout with route polish and excellent run-after-catch ability. He doesn't have elite speed, but gets to his top speed very quickly in the route. He is very crisp at the the top of routes, creating a lot of separation. The Ohio State product makes several plays above the rim and really plays much bigger than his size (6 foot, 188 pounds). He does have a few concentration drops, but I believe that is correctable. Wilson is at his best after the catch, as he can make defenders miss, power through tackles or utilize a stiff arm. I love his competitive nature. Overall, Wilson has a complete skill set and reminds me of Stefon Diggs.

Rank

USC · WR · Junior

London is a jumbo-sized wideout with a rare catch radius and outstanding toughness. He has lined up outside and in the slot. He doesn't have ideal speed, but he's very quick off the line and at the top of his route. He is a nuanced route runner, and it's impressive to see how quickly he can get in and out of breaks at his size (6-5, 210). He dominates on 50/50 balls, making spectacular grabs (SEE: Colorado game). London understands how to use his big body to shield off defenders before attacking the ball. After the catch, he seeks out contact and fights for extra yards. He plays with an edge as a blocker, as well. Overall, some will have concern with his lack of top speed, but he reminds me of Mike Williams coming out of Clemson.

Rank

Arkansas · WR · Junior

Burks is a big (6-3, 225), physical wideout with outstanding run-after-catch ability. He was used in a variety of alignments in the Razorbacks' offense -- outside, in the slot, at running back and as a Wildcat QB. He caught a lot of bubbles, slants and flat routes. Arkansas liked to get the ball in his hands as soon as possible to let him display his speed and physicality after the catch. He wasn't asked to run a full complement of routes, but he's a fluid athlete and should be able to do more at the next level. He likes to cradle-catch balls on his frame, which leads to some drops, but he flashes the ability to high point and finish. Burks will need some time to develop, but he has A.J. Brown-type upside.

More than anything in his top 50, the fact there are 3 wrs ranked right there, and then a huge gap after that, says if the jets want a top wr they’re going to have to use a 1st rounder this year.  Also, taking ekongwu may be too tempting to pass up.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Ekwonu - Last line of the report: "Worst-case scenario, he slides inside and becomes a Pro Bowl-caliber guard."

I'm sold.  Ekwonu at 4 if he's there, WR at 10.

Fant AVT McGovern Ekwonu Becton OL.  Kthx

Welcome to the bandwagon. This is the perfect plan, because it also hedges against either Fant not resigning or Becton continuing to regress

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, rtnelson said:

I'm no scout though.

Again I just don’t know if can run past people.  Mike Evans is the only big guy I can think of who can.  Is London like Michael Pittman?

because I don’t see mcveigh or shannahan signing any of those type guys.  Robert Woods goes down and they replaced him with shifty little OBJ to pair with Kupp.

49ers have Deebo and Aiyuk.  Not the 6’5” 50/50 ball guys. 

Does a guy like London fit? Wilson seems prototypical for this offense.

Fwiw Saleh described the LEO pass rusher as someone who rushed like his hair is on fire. It’s not strictly a height weight thing as much as motor. 

thibideauesux doesn’t fit that description. I have to think questions about effort will be a huge turn off after the becton fiasco 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, rtnelson said:

I'm no scout though.

We need a contested catch guy. I like. 

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

We need a contested catch guy. I like. 

I don't see him as a downfield threat.  More like a slant / over route type of player.  A tight end in a skinny body if you will.

He's going to make nice catches on not perfectly thrown balls in the intermediate range, but I'm not sure he has the speed to really stretch the defense.

I could definitely end up seeing him as a 10 receptions for 110 yards chain moving type of possession receiver if he gets targeted a lot. (Ala Michael Thomas with Drew Brees) There's definitely value in that.  But if I were to choose between "the 3" I think he is the least game changing of them.