Washington Commanders

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

It has the feel of something designed by committee - where people reject other people's preferences, and then have their preferences rejected in return, until you end up with something that no-one actually likes but which is so bland that no-one actually objects to it.

I have been in many, many meetings like that.

How do you think the Chargers got to their current look? It is universally loved. Cleveland going back to their roots too. It’s the equivalent of a classic band playing their new album…no one wants it.

14 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

It has the feel of something designed by committee - where people reject other people's preferences, and then have their preferences rejected in return, until you end up with something that no-one actually likes but which is so bland that no-one actually objects to it.

Except that's almost assuredly not how this name came about.

This name was a choice by two people:  Dan Snyder and amazingly, Head Coach Ron Rivera.

All the talk of fan input and consideration, focus groups, committees, team alumni feedback, etc.  All window dressing.  They might have happened, but they had no impact on this name decision.

I agree in a normal situation, your theory would probably be right on.  Not here in DC, not with Dan Snyder.  Locals know.  This was Dan and Ron and their mutual military hard-ons.  

Where the marketing team had it's impact was the uniforms.  Not the name.

19 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Except that's almost assuredly not how this name came about.

This name was a choice by two people:  Dan Snyder and amazingly, Head Coach Ron Rivera.

All the talk of fan input and consideration, focus groups, committees, team alumni feedback, etc.  All window dressing.  They might have happened, but they had no impact on this name decision.

I agree in a normal situation, your theory would probably be right on.  Not here in DC, not with Dan Snyder.  Locals know.  This was Dan and Ron and their mutual military hard-ons.  

Where the marketing team had it's impact was the uniforms.  Not the name.

2 great posts!

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes, let’s stop using the racist name that referenced skin color and instead use a different name that still carries forward that “legacy” of skin color, but just throws it on to some other word. 

Fair point, but manufactured. There are teams named Red Wolves. In other words by saying we can’t touch the word red again in Washington for eternity, you’re opening up the “where does it end with whimsical implicity”… I know there’s the sway current cultural climate to entertain - but every time you concede it, you enable it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I feel like the ones on top here would have been much better..but it looks like these are 3 separate uniforms for 3 different teams

Did the Redksins old unis have 3 stars inside the collar? 

How TF could a rando website have predicted that if they didnt? 

16 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Did the Redksins old unis have 3 stars inside the collar? 

How TF could a rando website have predicted that if they didnt? 

Because DC's logo/flag has 3 stars. 

Clearly the color inspiration for the away Jerseys.

OIP.L16rF8cuimG-tSUewsuCLgHaDt?pid=ImgDe

I kinda like the away jersey, reminds me of the old Falcons uniforms, and I've never been a fan of the Marron and off-Yellow, lol.

• Upvote 1