Washington Commanders

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Just because there’s other examples of it, doesn’t mean it’s a good tactic. It’s a half-measure.

In your opinion, and let’s face it that’s all that matters. But what about the scores and scores of people that seen it just as a team name, no racism involved, but agreed that maybe it can be construed as racist so a change was needed, all while trying to keep some the passed infused with the new? Is that not possible. Of course not. Everything is racist, right. How about the people that just bring up race into everything aren’t they racist also, I mean there on the “right side” but if all they see is race…

10 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

In your opinion, and let’s face it that’s all that matters. But what about the scores and scores of people that seen it just as a team name, no racism involved, but agreed that maybe it can be construed as racist so a change was needed, all while trying to keep some the passed infused with the new? Is that not possible. Of course not. Everything is racist, right. How about the people that just bring up race into everything aren’t they racist also, I mean there on the “right side” but if all they see is race…

Gonna be honest, I think if the team had stuck with a "Red(whatever)" name, Red Hawks, Red Wolves, Red Hogs, Red Generic Animal, etc. I think it would have been a VERY extremely small group of people who would complain that "it was still racist because "Red"".

The exception to this is "Red Tails", because once again, what someone thinks in honoring a group won't been seen as such by everyone, especially when it's not a member of that racial group profiting off the name.  Even then, I think race-based criticism of Red tailas would have been a small minority.

• Upvote 1

As some people on twitter have been pointing out, they completely messed up this patch:

image.png.7173149a6781a951ec729a54bf193eab.png

You use the season that you won the SuperBowl in, not the actual year the game was played in.

Example - it's the 85 Bears....not the 86 Bears. (85 season, SuperBowl played in January 86)

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

As some people on twitter have been pointing out, they completely messed up this patch:

You use the season that you won the SuperBowl in, not the actual year the game was played in.

Example - it's the 85 Bears....not the 86 Bears. (85 season, SuperBowl played in January 86)

I mean that’s absolutely brutal lol

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Wow!   Could they have botched this any more than they did?!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

It’s a thread about a team that changed its name because it was racist.

Hiw exactly am I (which is clearly what you’re implying) “bringing race into it”?

Its always charming when these conversations about racist get steered away from race with bigoted insistence, and when someone tries to bring it back to the topic at hand, the line is inevitably “you made it about race, you’re the racist”. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Gonna be honest, I think if the team had stuck with a "Red(whatever)" name, Red Hawks, Red Wolves, Red Hogs, Red Generic Animal, etc. I think it would have been a VERY extremely small group of people who would complain that "it was still racist because "Red"".

The exception to this is "Red Tails", because once again, what someone thinks in honoring a group won't been seen as such by everyone, especially when it's not a member of that racial group profiting off the name.  Even then, I think race-based criticism of Red tailas would have been a small minority.

I’m not saying it would have still been racist, to be clear. I’m saying that removing only the skin part would be a half measure and the only legacy invoked by keeping red in there is the reminder of why they had to change names. Strategically, it’s a goofy solution.

Better off with a clean slate. You can do more with it. Again… Strategically. Not my fault they picked the wrong clean slate, lol

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What I don’t get is - did they do any polling on this name choice?

Everyone hates it! And I mean everyone. LOL

Should have just stuck with WFT. It was hokey but was unique and memorable. 

Still at ~91% hate, 9% love on the poll on the WFT Forum.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

There’s an article on ESPN about how teams got their names. A lot of them were fan vote or fan write in with a committee that picks the winner 

some ideas I might have written in 

Masons

Minutemen (lol the memes)

Whigs 

Cherry Blossoms

Ambassadors 

Generals

24 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The Commanders is pretty lame, but I don't hate the uniforms. The helmet decals are simple, but kind of cool.

If I’m being honest, I loved the numbers on the helmets last year. Each man an individual. Simplicity. It worked.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

It’s a thread about a team that changed its name because it was racist.

Hiw exactly am I (which is clearly what you’re implying) “bringing race into it”?

Its always charming when these conversations about racist get steered away from race with bigoted insistence, and when someone tries to bring it back to the topic at hand, the line is inevitably “you made it about race, you’re the racist”. 

Yea that’s what happened. 

They went from insulting to insipid. 

I like the potential of "Let's go Commies!" or "Let's go WC's!" The logo could be a bunch of guys in North Korean uniforms waiting outside some porta potties.

Red Hogs would have been a good segue from the old name and the nickname, plus good material for a muscular tusker type of uniform logo.  But I don't work from some overpaid milquetoast consulting firm that overcharges for asinine advice. Must have been the same folks who advised the Johnsons on the Idzik and Mac hires a few years back

20 hours ago, doitny said:

should hve called the the Skins. then we could still have the Cowboys vs the Skins.

i know i heard that Rivera was going on a show tomorrow to announce the name. well i guess that don't matter now.

The Foreskins would've worked.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1