Washington Commanders

On 2/2/2022 at 12:56 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

That’s what I was thinking. Not specifically commies, lol, but as it’s 3 syllables like their team city, I was wondering what the shorter nickname will be (e.g. Niners, Bucs, Bolts, Pats, Fins/Fish, their former Skins, etc.).

It’s not like Commanders just rolls right off the tongue. So what shortened options are there? Commies? Mandy’s? Derrs? lmao

How shortsighted, and this name idea took them 2 years. Derrrrrrrr.

This is the biggest oversight by these idiots. Every three syllable team goes by a shortened name: Pats, Niners, Cards, Bucs.

Good luck with Commies and Ders. Oof. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PS17 said:

This is the biggest oversight by these idiots. Every three syllable team goes by a shortened name: Pats, Niners, Cards, Bucs.

Plus they (foolishly) changed the number of syllables in their name (from 2 to 3).

"Hail to the Commanders" just doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Plus the city's 3 syllables, too, that doesn't lend itself to a spoken abbreviation. It's not like (before there were 2 teams) they could just go by L.A., or others like that: Indy, Philly, San Fran, Vegas, Cincy, or even Tampa (dropping the "Bay").

So knowing that, and since they weren't relocating, to go with a name that really doesn't lend itself to an abbreviated nickname? They deserve to be called The Commies for such shortsightedness. Well, the players don't deserve it, I guess unless they sign someone to whom that'd be a badge of honor lol.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I say they should change the name from Washington commanders to Washington redskins

Agreed. Anything is better. Though I do like a name like RedWolves or something like that. Those sound pretty cool.

As long as it isn't WFT or Commanders

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Agreed. Anything is better. Though I do like a name like RedWolves or something like that. Those sound pretty cool.

As long as it isn't WFT or Commanders

I thought Red Hogs or even just Hogs would have been dope 

It would pay homage to the best team they ever had 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Wow, I just remembered how bad their name is 

Gets me every time 

It's so bad that I don't think I'll ever get used to it.  Whoever just bought the team should make it their first order of business to change the team name.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's so bad that I don't think I'll ever get used to it.  Whoever just bought the team should make it their first order of business to change the team name.

Even as someone who thought “Redskins” should probably go I can’t bring myself to say Commanders. Yikes 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PS17 said:

Even as someone who thought “Redskins” should probably go I can’t bring myself to say Commanders. Yikes 

It's like the name they'd give a football team in a movie.  But it's even bad for that!  And you know they paid a committee to figure out the best name.  Yet this is what they came up with!  

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

Too bad Guardians has already been taken. 

True story.  I played for a bunch of teams in Italy.  Tackle. flag, coaching, whatever.  Rhinos, Daemons.  A bunch of my Italian friends had a flag team and broke away from the main tackle team and had to change names - they selected the Guardians.  I have a bunch of hats, jerseys, etc in black, red and silver with the Georgia/Green Bay G.  At least I never played for the Seamen! 

• Haha 1