Trade down scenario

AFJF

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think that offer could only realistically happen if Thibs or Hutch dropped to us.  It would be hard to pass on one of them, but I think I'd do it, grab someone like Jermaine Johnson at 15 and spend the #16 like a lottery ticket.

But if you have them both in the top 4 on your board..............

1 minute ago, section314 said:

But if you have them both in the top 4 on your board..............

Absolute position isn't enough of the story.  Value relative to who else is on the board matter so.  If either of these guys felt like the next Von Miller, I would say grab 'em.  But if they feel like the next above-average DE, I might roll the dice another way, and grab the extra pick.  For every Myles Garrett and Nick Bosa, there is an Aaron Donald and TJ Watt, who were drafted lower in the 1st round.  

So maybe you take Hutch but if you could trade that pick for Devin Lloyd and Jermaine Johnson, does that make it interesting?

Still way too early to have a strong opinion on this, but it's always an interesting debate.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 9:01 PM, nycdan said:

I think that offer could only realistically happen if Thibs or Hutch dropped to us.  It would be hard to pass on one of them, but I think I'd do it, grab someone like Jermaine Johnson at 15 and spend the #16 like a lottery ticket.

I dunno. 100% Eagles would only be moving up for Hutch. or Thib. And passing on either guy like that after the history of ineffectiveness off the edge could prove to be catastrophic. 

While JD needs to hit on a lot of his draft picks to put this team together quick, I'd be happy as a clam if we stood pat and hit on 1/2 of the guys in our first two rounds. Would be nice if one of them was a Pass Rusher or WR. You really can't go wrong with Thib or Hutch if the cards were to fall that way and I wouldn't get cute and trade that opportunity away for an extra 1st rounder, especially if you already have 2. 

Now, if you're feeling a bit in no-mans land at 4 and you're on the clock, see what comes your way- maybe a team wants to move up for a QB ahead of the G-men. Maybe someone loves Hamilton or Neal or Ekwonu. In fact, JD will probably have a few potential trades lined up in case those guys are available. He's going to be open for business at that spot.  

I also love Jermaine Johnson and some of the other pass rushers in this draft. I actually think HE is more of a lottery type pick, and theres nothing nec wrong with that. If he can be a 3 down lineman in the nfl rather than a situational pass rusher, he could be really special. But its a gamble, he may need more time to develop. I actually think theres a good chance JD targets him at 10 if we end up trading out of or going Ekwonu at 4. 

But to me, the no-brainer right now would be Hutch or Thib at 4. no trade, no other player.

Obviously the '20 draft was whif and an unfortunate learning experience for JD.   But based on '21 it seems like he definitely learned.   in 2020, it felt like he got too cute with 'value' and ended up with players who couldn't play and positional picks we didn't need.   In 2021 it seemed like they locked onto specific players (AVT, Moore, Carter's) and moved around to get the guys they wanted.   I expect to see more of that this draft - if there's a player they want at a specific spot they will try to move up or down to make it happen, not randomly trade out of 4 for 'value'.

• Upvote 1