Current NFL Head Coach Openings (5)

Minnesota Vikings

Interview requests: Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh, Bucs DC Todd Bowles, Cowboys OC Kellen Moore, Rams OC Kevin O'Connell, Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon, 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans, Rams DC Raheem Morris

Miami Dolphins

Interview requests: 49ers OC Mike McDaniel, Cardinals DC Vance Joseph, Cowboys OC Kellen Moore, Bills DC Leslie Frazier, Rams AHC/RBs Thomas Brown

Jacksonville Jaguars

Interview requests: Former Eagles HC Doug Pederson (interviewed), former Colts and Lions HC Jim Caldwell (interviewed), Cowboys OC Kellen Moore, Buccaneers OC Byron Leftwich (interviewed), Buccaneers DC Todd Bowles (interviewed), Alabama OC Bill O'Brien, Jags interim HC Darrell Bevell, former Broncos head coach Vic Fangio

Houston Texans: 

Interview requests: Former Dolphins HC Brian Flores, Chargers OC Joe Lombardi, Florida Atlantic WRs coach Hines Ward, Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon, former QB Josh McCown, Rams OC Kevin O'Connell

New Orleans Saints

Interview request: Adam Schefter reports that Bucs OC Byron Leftwich, Lions DC Aaron Glenn and New Orleans DC Dennis Allen are among the Saints' head coaching candidates.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Miami Dolphins

Interview requests: 49ers OC Mike McDaniel, Cardinals DC Vance Joseph, Cowboys OC Kellen Moore, Bills DC Leslie Frazier, Rams AHC/RBs Thomas Brown

Ain't none of them taking that job now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Ain't none of them taking that job now. 

Yeah they have become a parade of bad stuff since the Richy Incognito days.   If you aren’t a fringe candidate you you’d steer clear. 

Plus, they were releasing crap to make the last coach look bad.   Nobody wants to work with someone who got involved in a he said she said.  People want to work with those who know how to take care of business.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Hal N of Provo said:

Yeah they have become a parade of bad stuff since the Richy Incognito days.   If you aren’t a fringe candidate you you’d steer clear. 

Plus, they were releasing crap to make the last coach look bad.   Nobody wants to work with someone who got involved in a he said she said.  People want to work with those who know how to take care of business.  

I would say there are probably shadier franchises out there (Patriots obviously), but you're right, an employer who may be railroading their coach wont get a quality hire.

Miami is going to have to burn everything to the ground or hire someone with some extreme pedigree to rehabilitate what just happened. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Dolphins have to hire Leslie Frazier...they need his calm Tony Dungy like demeanor to weather the storm they're currently in. 

Yeah I could see that. 

Personally I would be scouring the college ranks and giving David Shaw whatever he wants. It's time he made the leap honestly in my opinion. He is extremely likeable, has been consistent, and has been the portrait of stability for a decade now, something the Dolphins really need. 

If I was Goodell, I would:

• Tell Ross to sell the team.  If he does he will spare it forfeited draft picks.  If he does not, he will not see a 1st round draft pick for a long time.  Ross should hire an even-keeled good diversity candidate to steer the ship during that process.  
  • Tell the Jaguars, Saints and Texans that they need to hire a minority HC.   I don't know how you fire David Culley, who did an ok, job to hire Josh McCown and pass over guys like Bienemy.  I personally don't think Bienemy has it, but someone needs to give him a chance, and I think that team is the Texans.  

2 hours ago, varjet said:

If I was Goodell, I would:

• Tell Ross to sell the team.  If he does he will spare it forfeited draft picks.  If he does not, he will not see a 1st round draft pick for a long time.  Ross should hire an even-keeled good diversity candidate to steer the ship during that process.  
  • Tell the Jaguars, Saints and Texans that they need to hire a minority HC.   I don't know how you fire David Culley, who did an ok, job to hire Josh McCown and pass over guys like Bienemy.  I personally don't think Bienemy has it, but someone needs to give him a chance, and I think that team is the Texans.  

Bienemy is more deserving of a chance than bronco’s hired Nathaniel Hackett. And Bienemy coaches the best team and player in the division… who else would have better insight into beating the Chiefs and Mahomes?

HOUSTON - I'd expect Flores to get that job especially now.

MINNESOTA - Harbaugh....close with new GM. He'll run the show there.

MIAMI - oooo boy, Flores really did a number on Ross and finding a good candidate is going to be difficult now that there is a proposed racist owner who wants to throw games. I think McDaniels their #1 choice backs out and they are forced to hire Leslie Frazier (hahaha)

NEW ORLEANS - I think they stay in house and promote Dennis Allen who they apparently really like.

JACKSONVILLE - Possibly feeling the pressure of the Flores backlash I think Leftwich is in play here, but ultimately their prized possession in Lawrence will be given to Doug Pederson.

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

yea, it's how they ended up with Adam Gase..

53 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Bienemy is more deserving of a chance than bronco’s hired Nathaniel Hackett. And Bienemy coaches the best team and player in the division… who else would have better insight into beating the Chiefs and Mahomes?

Didn't they say that Bienemy didn't even call the plays.  And he's working with Patrick Mahomes for crying out loud.  He's as big a question mark as Gase was for working with Peyton Manning.  Glad we passed on this guy.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Dolphins have to hire Leslie Frazier...they need his calm Tony Dungy like demeanor to weather the storm they're currently in. 

Let’s be honest here. It is not Frazier’s demeanor that they need. I’m sure Miami, for having created this mess will be under heavy pressure to hire a minority candidate 

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't they say that Bienemy didn't even call the plays.  And he's working with Patrick Mahomes for crying out loud.  He's as big a question mark as Gase was for working with Peyton Manning.  Glad we passed on this guy.

Bienemy does call plays. But, regardless, you could say the same exact thing about Hackett. Lafluer called the plays in GB and he had Rogers. At least Bienemy has been doing it longer and with more success with a division rival. 

My point is not that Bienemy was the best candidate, but he certainly seems to be a better choice than Hackett.

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Jim Caldwell is probably the most underrated of this group of interviewees. He actually had some success with the Lions a franchise which has been a coach killer for years. If McCown gets a HC job with no coaching experience over experienced coaches like Caldwell and Flores it’s a problem and not just the optics. Flores actually has ties with Caserio the Texans GM but he probably now has no shot. 

Agreed.  I've praised him in the past.  He was able to win with the Detroit Lions.  Took them to the playoffs twice in (I think) 4 years.  Why they fired him I have no idea.  

• Upvote 1

Jim Caldwell is probably the most underrated of this group of interviewees. He actually had some success with the Lions a franchise which has been a coach killer for years. If McCown gets a HC job with no coaching experience over experienced coaches like Caldwell and Flores it’s a problem and not just the optics. Flores actually has ties with Caserio the Texans GM but he probably now has no shot. 

right about caldwell.  i thought flores did pretty well with the doltfins.  the guy has fire.  maybe too much has been said but so what.  if the doltfin owner was a schmuck then he should be called out.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Jim Caldwell is not a head coach in the NFL. He is a winning head coach for two different teams. At the very least, you are hiring a competent head coach who will have the team competing for a division title every year. 

Does he fart in the interview or something? 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I cannot for the life of me understand why Jim Caldwell is not a head coach in the NFL. He is a winning head coach for two different teams. At the very least, you are hiring a competent head coach who will have the team competing for a division title every year. 

Even then, someone should hire him and make sure future meetings happen outdoors. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Things released to make the last coach look bad.

A young but not really good QB.  Just, pass.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I've praised him in the past.  He was able to win with the Detroit Lions.  Took them to the playoffs twice in (I think) 4 years.  Why they fired him I have no idea.  

Let's be honest.

Getting the Lions to the playoffs is the equivalent of getting any other team to a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

There is a lot of unspoken stuff out there, and Flores thinks that Ross ruined his reputation.  It is not clear to me if he thinks the Dolphins are racist.  

Something is not right with Bienemy, but someone is going to need to give him a chance.  

Flores isn’t wrong about that -Ross is an idiot and probably behind the leaks after Flores got fired.  

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Well, you’re obviously not a very smart person. So there’s that.

• WTF? 1