Current NFL Head Coach Openings (5)

Bienemy is more deserving of a chance than bronco’s hired Nathaniel Hackett. And Bienemy coaches the best team and player in the division… who else would have better insight into beating the Chiefs and Mahomes?
I dunno .. to me it feels like he is where he should be coordinating... could totally be reong and dude certainly deserves a shot. Tbh .. would be a good hire by the fins in the current climate.

39 minutes ago, football guy said:

I took some time to answer this because I wanted to ask more than one person. Everyone - and I mean everyone - I've spoken to thinks he's a way out of line. Tiki Barber's stance is the same stance many players share, and others are very quick to point out that there has been a substantial amount of progress on the diversity front in recent years. There are 9 minorities in GM level positions (most ever) and there are more minority coaches and executives in non-HC positions than ever before... one agent (who is black) said that Brian's attack is more counterproductive than anything because he's "poking the bear" and will embolden owners to begin challenging the rooney rule all together for the sake of hiring on merit as opposed to race. 

Brian's agency (athletes first) have leaned into the "empowerment" narrative of late strategically, enabling them to blame and accuse everyone in pursuit of getting what they want if things don't go their way. Personally, I thought highly of Flores and really loved his edgy attitude, but it's pretty clear now that his "bravado" was more likely an addiction to conflict. While I do not doubt that something happened with the whole tanking thing, his accusations of racism are without merit. The Dolphins may be a sh*t organization, but they were probably correct in firing Flores for the reasons they stated (he did not get along with the front office or the players). I would be shocked if he got a job anytime soon, and people will blame racism for that when in reality it's because he has shown himself to be a self-serving, untrustworthy, and above all else confrontational. 

I know you're just conveying the sentiment of others, but I have a really tough time with the idea that because examples of progress exist - it's not okay to step forward as a potential victim.

I mean, is that really the mindset of the league? If so, it reveals a level "we're simply putting up with this stuff and if you get uppity we're going to teach you a lesson". If that's the case, they deserve everything that is coming.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I know you're just conveying the sentiment of others, but I have a really tough time with the idea that because examples of progress exist - it's not okay to step forward as a potential victim.

I mean, is that really the mindset of the league? If so, it reveals a level "we're simply putting up with this stuff and if you get uppity we're going to teach you a lesson". If that's the case, they deserve everything that is coming.

I didn’t get that all. 
Sounds more like, progress is being made and progress is a good think. And false claims being made out of spite or anger are counter productive.  
In other words, not everything is race driven and many believe in this case the claims are false.  
which, of course, then harms claims of true racism when they exist. 

I’m not saying this is the truth, as I don’t have the inside information, but based on what he wrote I think this is what he means and I agree with that sentiment.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I didn’t get that all. 
Sounds more like, progress is being made and progress is a good think. And false claims being made out of spite or anger are counter productive.  
In other words, not everything is race driven and many believe in this case the claims are false.  
which, of course, then harms claims of true racism when they exist. 

I’m not saying this is the truth, as I don’t have the inside information, but based on what he wrote I think this is what he means and I agree with that sentiment.  

I guess you skipped over the whole “poking the bear” part.

• Upvote 1

Rumors are Dennis Allen has the inside track to the Saints job. Not sure about Texans but highly doubtful you’ll ever see Flores coaching again in the NFL. As for Miami they could name either Cowboys OC or SF DC. McCarthy in Dallas is hanging on by a thread didn’t Jerry just say McCarthy isn’t going to be their coach forever and Quinn interested in the job. Not exactly a vote of confidence. 

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that Flores got himself fired (I am in Dolphins territory ).

His handling of certain situations was head scratching. The ups and downs,

the handling of the QB situation and constant battles with the front office and players.

Also Bellicheat is some how involved again. Could it be that he is trying to force his hiring somewhere.

I guess we will find out down the road

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I think the point is that he's using a macro issue that everyone is clearly aware of and conscious to his own benefit and to pacify his ego since he didn't get the job he wanted and felt like deserved. 1 "black" HC in the NFL currently is not ideal, but it has absolutely nothing to do with a racist system. That's what many feel. "Poking the bear" is in reference to the hiring process. If a team wants a certain coach (no matter their race or gender), they can't hire that coach until they satisfy the Rooney Rule by interviewing others. But when they interview others to satisfy the rule, their pinned as being systemically racist because there was a specific coach the owner wanted to hire? Deep down all NFL teams want to hire based on merit. The Jets didn't hire Herman Edwards or Todd Bowles or Robert Saleh because they are minorities; they hired them because they felt each was the best man for the job. Owner's are keenly aware that there are a lot of young minority coaches in the ranks, and because of that there will be a lot more minority coaches in the future - rooney rule or not. So if they want to poke the bear, owner's will come out swinging in attempt to squash the whole racist/affirmative action narrative because these guys feel like they're being unfairly attacked when in fact they are doing a lot more than being given credit for. 

I'm fully aware that not all owners are alike, but this sentiment that the NFL is systemically racist is so off base, and many feel Flores weaponizing it is shameful. 

What's crazy to me is that he still may get a job with the Texans, and if he does, you best believe there is a strong chance Watson returns to the Texans if that is the case. Why? He's probably starting to realize that teams won't line up for him as previously expected, and the teams that will be are no further along than the Texans are. Again, Flores and he share the same agency, and Watson will probably spin it as him having restored faith in the Texans ownership for hiring Flores and appreciating that they stood by him throughout everything blah blah blah... that's how this is shaping up right now

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Rumors are Dennis Allen has the inside track to the Saints job. Not sure about Texans but highly doubtful you’ll ever see Flores coaching again in the NFL. 

Many feel that if he doesn't get the Texans job, he's going to have a tough time getting another one. He pissed off a lot of very powerful men with his accusations, most of them which are provably false, and threw very respected voices under the bus. That's why so many executives/coaches have been eerily quiet. Again, everyone agrees that the results haven't bared the fruit that they intended quickly enough, but everyone feels the process is working. There are so many promising young minority coaches who will absolutely be HCs soon. 

The only accusation that holds weight - and really what should be the entire story - is the tanking. It probably happened and it's an open secret that it happens. It doesn't just happen to "black" coaches either. 

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

McDaniel does not look like a head coach that is for sure.  Didn't the jets try and poach him when saleh as assembling his staff?

skysports-mike-mcdaniel-san-francisco-49

McDaniel has said he wouldn’t accept a head coaching job in any state that doesn’t have legalized recreational weed. The Dolphins are a sh*tshow.

39 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think the point is that he's using a macro issue that everyone is clearly aware of and conscious to his own benefit and to pacify his ego since he didn't get the job he wanted and felt like deserved. 1 "black" HC in the NFL currently is not ideal, but it has absolutely nothing to do with a racist system. That's what many feel. "Poking the bear" is in reference to the hiring process. If a team wants a certain coach (no matter their race or gender), they can't hire that coach until they satisfy the Rooney Rule by interviewing others. But when they interview others to satisfy the rule, their pinned as being systemically racist because there was a specific coach the owner wanted to hire? Deep down all NFL teams want to hire based on merit. The Jets didn't hire Herman Edwards or Todd Bowles or Robert Saleh because they are minorities; they hired them because they felt each was the best man for the job. Owner's are keenly aware that there are a lot of young minority coaches in the ranks, and because of that there will be a lot more minority coaches in the future - rooney rule or not. So if they want to poke the bear, owner's will come out swinging in attempt to squash the whole racist/affirmative action narrative because these guys feel like they're being unfairly attacked when in fact they are doing a lot more than being given credit for. 

I'm fully aware that not all owners are alike, but this sentiment that the NFL is systemically racist is so off base, and many feel Flores weaponizing it is shameful. 

What's crazy to me is that he still may get a job with the Texans, and if he does, you best believe there is a strong chance Watson returns to the Texans if that is the case. Why? He's probably starting to realize that teams won't line up for him as previously expected, and the teams that will be are no further along than the Texans are. Again, Flores and he share the same agency, and Watson will probably spin it as him having restored faith in the Texans ownership for hiring Flores and appreciating that they stood by him throughout everything blah blah blah... that's how this is shaping up right now

This is somewhat helpful context. Thanks.

What an awful hire Lovie Smith would be,  Flores would probably have been the choice if he had not filed the suit. 

You fire Culley who does a good job in year one so you must have a hot prospect to replace him.....no you have a college assistant who has been out of the game for years coming in at the last moment.  Just brutal. 

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Many feel that if he doesn't get the Texans job, he's going to have a tough time getting another one. He pissed off a lot of very powerful men with his accusations, most of them which are provably false, and threw very respected voices under the bus. That's why so many executives/coaches have been eerily quiet. Again, everyone agrees that the results haven't bared the fruit that they intended quickly enough, but everyone feels the process is working. There are so many promising young minority coaches who will absolutely be HCs soon. 

The only accusation that holds weight - and really what should be the entire story - is the tanking. It probably happened and it's an open secret that it happens. It doesn't just happen to "black" coaches either. 

The thing is, if a bunch of black coaches start to get hired in the next few years Flores will get a lot of credit. 

• Haha 1

Culley was an unknown surprise hire and on the surface it looks like a guy hired to be fired. But like Flores he did a better job than expected. Both teams used the reason poor communication to excuse the firings. In Flores case they picked the wrong guy to play that game with. Kap has been black listed but he did get a very large financial settlement with the NFL. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Josh McCown gets the Texans job, Flores is going to look like Rosa Parks.

I think the Texans are in a box. With all this Flores stuff they feel pressured. I don’t think they want to be forced into hiring Flores but hiring a very inexperienced guy like McCown will be a bad look given our current environment even if they like him. My guess is they find another minority candidate because they don’t want Flores. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Culley was an unknown surprise hire and on the surface it looks like a guy hired to be fired. But like Flores he did a better job than expected. Both teams used the excuse poor communication to excuse the firings. In Flores case they picked the wrong guy to play that game with. Kap has been black listed but he did get a very large financial settlement with the NFL. 

If you had an employee who the entire industry knew clients had a disdain for, would there be a need to blacklist? Or would it be common knowledge that is a bad hire? 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

If you had an employee who the entire industry knew clients had a disdain for, would there be a need to blacklist? Or would it be common knowledge that is a bad hire? 

If you’re talking about Kap a lot of people thought he got a bad deal. And the entire thing was political. He is obviously a much better player than many NFL QBs with contracts. 

• Haha 1

Racism and any form of discrimination is contrary to the NFL's values. We have made significant efforts to promote diversity and adopted numerous policies and programs which have produced positive change in many areas

The NFL is having a halftime show next week that features artists who advocate for gun violence towards black youth, abuse of women and are the single biggest promoters of the N word.  Is this part of their programs for positive change? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, football guy said:

I know the headline is about race and I know it was used all over the lawsuit but I think the message through the weeds in regards to the Giants is that he feels he wasted his time and dignity being interviewed when the man for the job was already selected. 

Really we don’t know the exact date/time Daboll was made aware that he got the position and that’s really the Key. But one can see how Flores feels that way given text messages from not just anybody but Bill Belichick who is basically football royalty. Because of the Rooney Rule that type of stuff is only happening to minority candidates. So I think there is grounds for a racial component. It’s more about subverting the  Rooney Rule rather than “he didn’t hire me bc I’m black”. 

I think Flores will have a tough time proving anything in regards to the Giants but it may result in the Rooney Rule being altered

The Tanking for money is the real issue and I don’t think he was fired bc of his race but bc he pissed off the owner for not tanking and for not meeting Brady and tampering. I know he prob had some bad relationships in the organization as well but if I’m a billionaire team owner I’m most likely firing him for not listening to me - not because he wasn’t working well with some people. And if I got fired for NOT breaking the rules ID be pissed too. 

In the end I think Flores gets nothing, teams get no penalties, BUT they change the HC hiring rules/window and Rooney Rule as well. 

• Upvote 1