Current NFL Head Coach Openings (5)

4 hours ago, football guy said:

A world can exist where the Dolphins are inept, Flores is a good football coach but has a toxic personality. 

Brian physically threatened players, was combative with coaches and other executives, alienated people, and developed a tendency to fire (or seek to fire) colleagues on impulse. One of Flores's best friends is Patrick Graham, and while it had been reported that he left Miami because "being the DC of the Giants was his dream job", the real reason was because their working relationship was beginning to diminish their personal relationship. 

I don't know who Larry Brown is nor do I care. I know for a fact Schoen was Buffalo to interview both Brian Daboll and Leslie Frazier "in-person", with ownership joining in via Zoom. Whether or not that meets the letter of the code I can't say for sure, but my understanding is that it does. 

My last point then I'm done talking about this. The fall of Brian Flores has nothing to do with the color of his skin. If anything, what happened to him is due to his personality, which has become a common theme among head coaches that came from the Bill Belichick tree. All of them are extremely intense and alienate those around them, borderline bullying their staff the same way they are bullied in New England. They fail at the relationship part of the job. From an outsider looking in, they are guys who see how Bill Belichick did it and try to replicate it the same way. Problem is that they are not Bill Belichick. The reason why Bill gets away with his attitude, abrasiveness, and conviction is because he has the hardware to back it up. Nick Saban (Dolphins), Eric Mangini, Jim Schwartz, Josh McDaniels, Bill O'Brien, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores, Joe Judge have all been accused of being toxic or exclusive one way or another. Are they deep down? Probably not in all cases, but their approach to coaching was. Romeo Crenell is about the only HC to come from that tree and wasn't and that's because he's straight up an amazing people's person. 

See what Josh McDaniels said just last week RE: his first stint as a HC

"When I went to Denver, I knew a little bit of football but I didn't know people and how important that aspect of the process and maintaining culture and building a team was. And I failed."

Now go research all those coaches above and let me know if you find anything on their personality profiles and their attitudes in the work place, then let me know if you find a common theme. 

This is definitely possible. When you look at the Belichick coaching tree so many of his ex-coaches are rough and it doesn't work out. The list is long, Belichick is often duplicated but never replicated.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Re the Rooney Rule and Flores, the timing and sequence of events is critical. 

1. Graham does not qualify to meet the Rooney Rule, as he's an internal candidate.

2. Frazier was interveiwed only via tele-conference prior to Flores' interview in person, therefore the Rooney Rule was not met until Flores interviewed. Frazier was interviewed in person the day after Flores.

3. Bellicick's texts were posted to Flores three days prior to his in person interview. If they can be validated by other evidence showing that the Giants actually had made an offer to Daboll, Flores will be vindicated that his interview was indeed a sham and the Rooney Rule was violated.

So you are incorrect and seem not to understand the point of Flores' case.

Do I think Flores will be able to support his claim based only on the Bellicick text? No. He's got to show that there was some verifiable offer made by the Giants prior to Flores' in person interview. Good luck with that. My best guess is that Schoen knew very well that Daboll was "his guy," and that Daboll had the inside track, but I doubt that there will be any evidence of a formal offer prior to Flores' in person. So that's why I agree with the gist of your post, even though you don't seem to understand the Rooney Rule.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/timeline-new-york-giants-head-coach-interviews-rooney-rule-requirement/591390

Great break down. I think the Giants violated the spirit of the rule but not to the level that will have them being punished with any formal wrong doing. I would be shocked if they communicated a formal offer to Daboll before Flores interviewed.

• Upvote 2

One idea I heard on how to do it mentioned by one of the WFAN hosts was to take hirings of HCs away from the teams and give it to the NFL. The assumption being that the process will never be fair with the guys who are owners. 
Hahagagaga.... the puppet masters ARE the owners ... Goodell is the best example.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:
13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:
One idea I heard on how to do it mentioned by one of the WFAN hosts was to take hirings of HCs away from the teams and give it to the NFL. The assumption being that the process will never be fair with the guys who are owners. 

Hahagagaga.... the puppet masters ARE the owners ... Goodell is the best example.

If an NFL board (you'd assume diversified, ex players, front office people, etc) did the hiring away from ownership they'd hire more minority coaches. The problem is with the owners. I saw Domonique Foxworth (former President of the Players Assn.) on TV a few days ago and he was more sympathetic to Goodell than he was to owners. He thinks they are the problem not him. But this is not going to happen for sure. 

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Then who will do the firings? 

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

So they would basically have Goodell and Co forcing coaches on teams, with no regard to personality, fit, etc? 

That would end well.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

Then who will do the firings? 

Perfect example of an idea not thought through.   

If the NFL hired coaches for the teams, I bet you would see a ton more turnover when said new coach doesnt click with ownership and the GM... assuming teams would still have the right to fire a HC?  Maybe the talking head on WFAN wants to take firing ability away from teams too?

• Upvote 1

It was an idea to deal with the situation. Kind of like arbitration in a way when you let an independent body make a final decision. As for firing you’d think via the team. But the hiring via the league. I think the idea has merit but not going to happen. If you claim diversity you have to prove it. 

• WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It was an idea to deal with the situation. Kind of like arbitration in a way when you let an independent body make a final decision. As for firing you’d think via the team. But the hiring via the league. I think the idea has merit but not going to happen. If you claim diversity you have to prove it. 

Theres very little merit. You solve one problem (lack of diversity hiring) and create another (increased churn, forcing HCs on GMs and owners).

You'd be better served by doing more professional development type stuff for position coaches and coordinators to help them get those HC jobs.  

On 2/8/2022 at 10:24 AM, Xtina said:

Right. Teams make decisions based on what their fans think 

That was one of the main reasons the giants fired Judge... they knew if they retained him they wouldn't hear the end of it all season. .. and real fans pay with their wallet.  

"There has been a general apathy with the Giants’ fan base which resulted in roughly 15,000 people attending yesterday’s game against Washington, turning MetLife Stadium into a ghost town at best."

Whether this round of hires showed it or not they are making progress imo, the pool of good minority candidates is growing each hiring cycle.

There could easily be two other coaches this cycle if Flores did not jump all over the law suit until after jobs were filled.  (I still thunk he was going to get the Texans job).  Not a net increase in hires because Lovie being a minority but a hire none the less.

Also I think there is a good shot that Leftwich gets hired if he did not remove himself due to not liking the GM.