Hue Jackson: Browns paid me to lose games during 2016, 2017 seasons

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For years I have been told that teams don’t actively tank in the NFL. I feel vindicated today.

you might not be vindicated.

the owners wanted their teams to tank, the big question is did Hue and Flores try to lose on purpose?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

To be fair, Manning was fully injured and out and Curtis Painter was their QB. Could they have found a better QB? Who was available what was their cap space did it make sense to put on a full court press to win a game or 2? 

Tank or slight tank. Can you blame them? 

In the long run, how did that work out for them? 

It’s nonsense.

Manning wasn’t even IR’d until December; they didn’t expect him to miss the whole season. Knowing about his neck at the time, they’d just signed him to like a $90MM extension with a hefty signing bonus. Nobody does that when their goal is to lose every game and get the #1 pick. Then when it initially looked like they just needed a bridge for a few games or a month, they signed Collins out of retirement rather than just go with Painter. Then not only did Collins get injured, but other siginificant injuries started to pile on as well.

How many starters missed between a month and most or all of that season? Manning, Collins, Brackett, Addai, Bullitt, Castonzo, D.Clark, Diem, J.Powers, and of course Sanders. Plus slowing down or letdown seasons from Freeney, T.Brayton (just acquired), F.Pollak, Muir, and more. Were these players all in on it, too?

Then in the end - with the #1 pick on the line - they won 2 games and scored a late TD to make it a 6-point game with 3.5 min remaining plus called two timeouts to stop the clock on that last defensive effort where they nearly got the ball back with 2.5 min left.

They didn’t tank. They just sucked. 

5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t mean to single you out, but how can a fan base like ours which was all in on “sucking for Sam” and openly roots for and gets upset about a lack of losses at the end of losing seasons not believe other bad teams try to improve their draft position?

We kill the Jets for screwing up with meaningless wins and then act surprised at the thought of tanking? I don’t get it.

No issue with quoting my post.  I'll say this being part of the pro tank crowd myself at different points in my Jets fandom, I will say I was specifically speaking to coaches getting paid to take a dive.  I can't speak for other jets fans, but I prefer to just play the younger guys thus increasing the chances of losing, but also gaining more perspective on what you have.  I'm not crazy enough to believe that Jets brass and coaches would purposely lose because there are guys putting their body on the line, not like it's Madden and their holding a joystick. Fair point you have though, just to make it clear: I never encourage or condone an owner paying for their or any other team to throw games! 

• Upvote 1

NFL has become a complete farce. Just mostly a collection of crooked con men skimming money off an overflow of wealth, and still not satisfied. They feel the need to take their share from the gambling houses and pillage the fans for the last few pennies. They should all burn in hell.

16 hours ago, HtownJet said:

I’m waiting for Greg Williams to claim Woody paid him to blow the Raiders game.

Serious question: if this were true, wouldn't every single one of you be ok with the Jets losing a 1st round draft pick if along with it came the forced sale of the team from the Johnson family?

8 days a week, 25 hours a day I take that trade.

26 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Serious question: if this were true, wouldn't every single one of you be ok with the Jets losing a 1st round draft pick if along with it came the forced sale of the team from the Johnson family?

8 days a week, 25 hours a day I take that trade.

I would consider offer up one of my children as a sacrifice for that to happen.

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, dcJet said:

He loyally tanked for cash and then was fired for losing.  What a betrayal.  He must be so pissed off and looking for revenge.

Now, he's seen as a loser and can't sniff a HC job.  Serves him right to play along.

Karma on both sides.  The Browns took Baker at 1 and Hue got fired for lossing.  

13 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Hue Jackson is one of the least credible folks in this whole story. 

He may be, but it all comes down to evidence and proof. Same with Flores. If they can validate their claims, it really doesn't matter whether they took the bribe or not. The owners who offered the bribes are screwed.

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

He may be, but it all comes down to evidence and proof. Same with Flores. If they can validate their claims, it really doesn't matter whether they took the bribe or not. The owners who offered the bribes are screwed.

Flores seems very credible.  Ross definetely seems like the type to cut corners to get an edge.  Flores cred isn't helped by Hue Jackson, I think it hurts him.  Hue Jackson admiting he took money to lose is far different than what Flores is claiming.  Flores actually seems to have taken the high road.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Concur 100%.  If they have proof, the NFL should force both owners to sell.

18 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Cincinnati tanked that game against Miami in the “Burrow Bowl” go back and look at that overtime, a dolphin beat confirmed it today on his show.

This is the tip of the iceberg imo 

Tampa Bay tanked for Winston in their last game.  They were up big late in the game and then pulled their starers to "have a look at their young guys".

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Worth the read imo.   Love the title of this article too.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3404675/browns-owner-jimmy-haslam-just-hit-hue-jackson-from-the-top-rope-and-now-we-have-a-dead-body-on-our-hands

Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam Just Hit Hue Jackson From The Top Rope And Now We Have A Dead Body On Our Hands

Okay so we all know the story by now. Brian Flores says he was offered $100K per loss as the head coach of the Dolphins in 2019, and then Hue Jackson came down with a severe case of main character syndrome and made it all about him. Found this as the perfect time to piggyback onto someone else's situation and do the ESPN carwash to explain how he actually wasn't the man to blame for his 3-36-1 record in Cleveland. Insinuated on Twitter that he was offered "a good number" to lose games for the Browns, and that the plan was not for him to succeed.

Well folks, now Browns owner Jimmy Haslam has entered the ring with his interview with the Knoxville News Sentinel

(Warning: If you do not like blood or graphic content, please exit out now)

“Hue Jackson has never ever accepted any responsibility for our record during that time period,” Haslam said in an exclusive interview. “He’s been masterful at pointing fingers but has never accepted any blame."

That's just a fact. Probably my #1 issue with Hue. It's not even that he turned in back to back 1-15 and 0-16 seasons, it's that he continuously points the finger at other people who were responsible for his record. Jimmy goes on to admit that he himself did make mistakes, and he owns them, but has anyone ever heard Hue say he messed up as well? Not once.

“I can’t think of any individual that I’ve worked with over the past 45 years that I spent as much time trying to help be successful as I did Hue Jackson,” Haslam said.

Well that cuts a little deep. You can tell Jimmy is out for blood with this statement. Because let's not forget that Jimmy has been working for Pilot Corporation since 1976 and became President / CEO in 1996. He's hired people, developed people, worked with people, and helped people in the business world for 45 years now. He might be known now for being the Browns owner but you don't get to a $3.8 billion net worth without managing others. And to reference his entire 45 year working career to say that Hue was the individual that's spent the most of his time trying to help be successful, yikes. 

“His third year, when our roster began to pretty dramatically improve, the eight games he coached we were 2-5-1. After Hue was dismissed, we went 5-3.”

And now we have a dead body.

Giphy Images.

Hue keeps saying that his first two years, the roster was impossible to win with. That's just not true though. Hue did win with that roster, once. He went 1-31 with the Browns through his first two seasons, and to think that he kept his job…..he should be thanking Jimmy Haslam every chance he gets. Remember, Brian Flores went 10-6 last year. And then 9-8 this season. Anyways, when the Browns roster began to "dramatically improve", Hue still won 2 of the first 8 games that season before getting fired. For reference, interim coach Gregg Williams took that same exact roster and finished 5-3. 

The fact of the matter is that Hue Jackson stinks, both as a coach and now clearly as a person. His 3-36-1 record in Cleveland speaks for itself, but to take this Brian Flores story and piggyback onto it and make it about himself is ridiculous. And I bet Brian Flores agrees. I bet he and his lawyers are upset to see Hue all over ESPN right now because their situations are not even close to the same. Flores led the Dolphins to 24 wins over his three years in Miami. If Hue would've kept up his pace, it would've taken him 24 seasons to get to 24 wins in Cleveland.