Why was 23-25 gase a failing retread but 24-25 Flores is the second coming of Lombardi?

I have a real problem with the ESPN narrative on all this.  Stephen a basically accused the jets of racism for hiring gase a tetread.  Help me understand why there is such a difference?  Forget the fact that Johnson has hired Edwards and Bowles. But seriously how dishonest can this narrative be?

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because Gase's teams were getting worse year over year while Flores' teams were improving. The Jets, on the other hand, have a stellar record for minority HC hires compared to most of the NFL. Stephen A can stick it with that claim.  

Eh.  3 years is 3 years.  Every case is different and every season has different circumstances.  Record ia record and it’s a false narrative. 

rmember when Marty schottenheimer hitmlet go despite multiple elite seasons.  Can you imagine if he were black?  Can you imagine if jimmy h were black what the crap that would be saying?  Remember the whole Justin fields narrative ?   It’s unbelievable the lack of any really truth in this argument. 

• Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Eh.  3 years is 3 years.  Every case is different and every season has different circumstances.  Record ia record and it’s a false narrative. 

rmember when Marty schottenheimer hitmlet go despite multiple elite seasons.  Can you imagine if he were black?  Can you imagine if jimmy h were black what the crap that would be saying?  Remember the whole Justin fields narrative ?   It’s unbelievable the lack of any really truth in this argument. 

Tony Dungy was 54-42 in TB and made the play offs in 4 of his 6 seasons (incl. one NFCCG). He was fired and replaced by Chucky (of all people!) who won the SB with that team the year after.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Gase was a sh*tshow inside a dumpster fire.

He makes Rich Kotite look like Tom Landry.

Gase in one season won almost twice as many games as Kotite did in two with an inferior roster. While I’m no fan of Gase, your comment is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

If this was actually a thread about the difference between Adam Gase and Brian Flores and not a thinly disguised, black people have it all while the white man suffers topic, I'd light this up with some hard-hitting Football content but I dont want to be a speed bump on JN's road to the righteous. 

I agree that Flores is a lot better than Gase.  However, there's also a lot of "look at how righteous I am, based on what I wrote here" in your post, too.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

4 hours ago, KarlaftisFan said:

If you look at it most coaches fall into two categories:

1) College player who did not have the athleticism to play in the NFL and pursued a career in coaching. 

2) Former NFL player who got into coaching after retiring. I think this is the category most black coaches fall into. 

Professional football coaches (college and pro) are part of an insulated community. It’s a modern day spoils system. The way to break into coaching is to have connections. It’s also why you see the same crappy coaches continue to re-emerge. 

“I scratched your back by giving your guy a job, now please give my guy a job”

Look at the guys who are coaching in the Super Bowl:

Sean McVay: grandfather was John McVay

Zac Taylor: Brother is a coach and his father in law is Mike Sherman 

A lot of these guys knew early on they wanted to be coaches, and had the right connections to get them where they needed to go. 

All true. And a lot of former players opt to go into media (also the ones mostly commenting on this). That lessens to pool right there.

The coaching profession sucks. You have to start as a GA making no money and work your way up. Unless the NFL adopts the NBA model and just hires players off the bench to be the head coach, the pipeline is always going to be more limited. 

None of these points seem to be mentioned. Its the overarching- the NFL is bad because of X. Well, use your noodle and find out why. When there's ever a shortage in any profession, the pipeline is always the first thing to be addressed....the media wants no part of that.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, doitny said:

that suit against the NFL should be against 31 teams.

we hired 2 black HCs and a Muslim HC when most of the league never had a non-white HC, and Stephen A has the balls to call us racist? F@ck him

IMO it's a character he's told to play for their scripted show to drive views and engagement - if that's not it than Stephen A is a complete buffoon because the Jets are so far ahead of the curve with this sh!t.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because Gase's teams were getting worse year over year while Flores' teams were improving. The Jets, on the other hand, have a stellar record for minority HC hires compared to most of the NFL. Stephen A can stick it with that claim.  

And anyone can easily make the case that Flores was working with a better roster, better QB and receivers along with a much better defense.  So really was worse.  

6 hours ago, doitny said:

that suit against the NFL should be against 31 teams.

we hired 2 black HCs and a Muslim HC when most of the league never had a non-white HC, and Stephen A has the balls to call us racist? F@ck him

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Woody is not a great owner, but his hiring practices are far from racist.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Woody is not a great owner, but his hiring practices are far from racist.

In a fair world, Woody wouldn't be managing and hiring for a billion dollar football team.

50 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

All true. And a lot of former players opt to go into media (also the ones mostly commenting on this). That lessens to pool right there.

The coaching profession sucks. You have to start as a GA making no money and work your way up. Unless the NFL adopts the NBA model and just hires players off the bench to be the head coach, the pipeline is always going to be more limited. 

None of these points seem to be mentioned. Its the overarching- the NFL is bad because of X. Well, use your noodle and find out why. When there's ever a shortage in any profession, the pipeline is always the first thing to be addressed....the media wants no part of that.

The coaching profession is actually incredibly lucrative if you get on the right track. However, early on I don’t think it’s a meritocracy as much as “who you know”. 

Obviously if you were a great player it helps, and I am sure guys do distinguish themselves early on, but I am not sure the path is linear. 

Ultimately I don’t think many people would get into coaching without having some connections to it. It’s kind of like being a Plummer. It helps if you know someone who can get you into the union. 

I do think being a professional player gives you the requisite experience to “jump the line” through a lot of the entry level stuff.  However, at that point most guys made some $ and don’t need coaching. 

4 minutes ago, KarlaftisFan said:

The coaching profession is actually incredibly lucrative if you get on the right track. However, early on I don’t think it’s a meritocracy as much as “who you know”. 

Obviously if you were a great player it helps, and I am sure guys do distinguish themselves early on, but I am not sure the path is linear. 

Ultimately I don’t think many people would get into coaching without having some connections to it. It’s kind of like being a Plummer. It helps if you know someone who can get you into the union. 

Needle in a haystack. If it's your passion, by all means...but eventually you need to pay the bills. The majority of college grads dont have the means to be GA's for 2 years. Mike Pettine, whose father was a HS coaching legend, went from HS coach to some bottom tier minimum wage film guy for the Ravens. The amount of luck and grinding that goes into it is more than what's being told.

Look at Saleh's career arc. A GA at Central Michigan....the dude worked his way up. There's more to it than what ESPN is giving you. It's a joke tbh.

• Upvote 2