My completely narcissistic look-at-me how awesome am I art thread

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's you surfing?  Dayum!  That's pretty good.  Is surfing as fun as it looks? (which is, incredibly fun).

There is a reason it becomes our life style, there is nothing else like in the world.  Experience a 6 foot barrel, being suspended in time in space, being captured in the hallow part of a wave, knowing there will never be another wave exactly like in the world, is a ******* mind blowing experience and it's why we seek to repeat it over and over and over again as many times as life will allow.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

There is a reason it becomes our life style, there is nothing else like in the world.  Experience a 6 foot barrel, being suspended in time in space, being captured in the hallow part of a wave, knowing there will be another wave exactly like in the world, is a ******* mind blowing experience and it's why we seek to repeat it over and over and over again as many times as life will allow.

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Oh yeah that’s me but check this video out.  No feeling like this in the world 

Amazing!  I don't surf (but wish I did).  The only negative association I have with surfing, however, is this:

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

There is a reason it becomes our life style, there is nothing else like in the world.  Experience a 6 foot barrel, being suspended in time in space, being captured in the hallow part of a wave, knowing there will be another wave exactly like in the world, is a ******* mind blowing experience and it's why we seek to repeat it over and over and over again as many times as life will allow.

What are your favorite surfing movies?   

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What are your favorite surfing movies?   

Like actual movies?   There are very few and they all suck.  "North Shore" from the 80's is still the best one ever made and it's totally ridiculous and completely unbelievable, which makes it awesome.  Any 40+ year old surfer quotes that movie to this day.  lol  Big Wednesdy from the 70's was good back in the day, havent seen it in years.  Chasing Mavericks is cheesy but a great sad story.   Riding Giants was popular but dumb as sh*t.

The documentary game is very strong in the surfing world.  The obvious ones are Endless Summer I and II.  Both great to understand the culture and allure to the sport.  My favorite is one called "Kissed by God" it's a documentary about Andy Irons who was a tortured soul but one of the most gifted surfers of all time.  I really like 2 that are called "The September Sessions" and "Step into the Liquid".   There is pretty cool docu serious on HBO called the "100 Foot Wave" which has been interesting but really more focuses on the life Garret McNamarra who discovered what is now considered the biggest wave in the world.  "Searching for Tom Curren" and "Morning of Earth" and "Dog Town and Z-Boys" is a skate/surf cross but it's really good, IMO, Heath Ledger plays a major part. "Momentum Generation" is a great one. "Blood is thicker than Water" is a cool one about a surf gang.   And "Thicker than Water" was cool, and intro'd a lot of people to the music of Jack Johnson.

In addition, surfing has as sh*t ton of "videos" about specific surfers, surf teams, boards, styles of riding, etc. that are typically music driven with just hours of free surfing footage.  My favorite?  "Lost at Sea" but there are literally hundreds if not thousands of those types of videos produced all the time.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Like actual movies?   There are very few and they all suck.  "North Shore" from the 80's is still the best one ever made and it's totally ridiculous and completely unbelievable, which makes it awesome.  Any 40+ year old surfer quotes that movie to this day.  lol  Big Wednesdy from the 70's was good back in the day, havent seen it in years.  Chasing Mavericks is cheesy but a great sad story.   Riding Giants was popular but dumb as sh*t.

The documentary game is very strong in the surfing world.  The obvious ones are Endless Summer I and II.  Both great to understand the culture and allure to the sport.  My favorite is one called "Kissed by God" it's a documentary about Andy Irons who was a tortured soul but one of the most gifted surfers of all time.  I really like 2 that are called "The September Sessions" and "Step into the Liquid".   There is pretty cool docu serious on HBO called the "100 Foot Wave" which has been interesting but really more focuses on the life Garret McNamarra who discovered what is now considered the biggest wave in the world.  "Searching for Tom Curren" and "Morning of Earth" and "Dog Town and Z-Boys" is a skate/surf cross but it's really good, IMO, Heath Ledger plays a major part. "Momentum Generation" is a great one. "Blood is thicker than Water" is a cool one about a surf gang.   And "Thicker than Water" was cool, and intro'd a lot of people to the music of Jack Johnson.

In addition, surfing has as sh*t ton of "videos" about specific surfers, surf teams, boards, styles of riding, etc. that are typically music driven with just hours of free surfing footage.  My favorite?  "Lost at Sea" but there are literally hundreds if not thousands of those types of videos produced all the time.

I'll check these recommendations out.  Do you follow any good YouTube surfing channels?

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll check these recommendations out.  Do you follow any good YouTube surfing channels?

The only guy I follow is, Ben Gravy.  Really cool guy.  He's a recovering addict and he became famous as part of his recovery was to "surf" in every single state.  So, he'd go and find rivers and lakes to surf in land, it was a really cool watch and now he's a full-blown celebrity in the industry, but he still posts cool footage of him surfing what we'd call, "novelty" type stuff.  No-tradition boards and waves, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

He reminds me of a bunch of guys I've met at raves over the years. 

This is what made him become famous.  He eventually got sentenced to 57 years in jail for an entirely separate incident.  To me, it seems fishy but who knows.

"Kai the Hitchhiker" sentenced to 57 years in lawyer's beating death

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kai-the-hitchhiker-caleb-mcgillvary-sentenced-to-57-years-beating-death-today-2019-05-30/