My completely narcissistic look-at-me how awesome am I art thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, maury77 said:

Have you ever read the backstory to the "techno viking"?

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/07/20/where-are-they-now-techno-viking/

He married the guy in the black shirt in the beginning of the video, lol

techno viking is no longer on youtube or the greater internet

meanwhile Max got us grandfathered in with a gif from 2008. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, freestater said:

Haven't done watercolor in years. Decades really. Put together a small kit, and hope to use it to do on site paintings of places around my beloved hometown. Here's my first couple.

20220602_111814.jpg

WC is extraordinarily difficult. You can't manipulate the paint and you can't noodle around.  My wife is a watercolrist extraordinaire and teaches it as well.   

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

I'm really glad this thread got brought back to top, I rarely hang in this forum, and I missed it completely.  Much to my own detriment.  But I have made up for it with SEVERAL Plus-Reps. :)

Amazing work @freestater, old friend, you're an amazing artist.  Thank you very much for sharing your art with us, it's very VERY good, I've paid good American currency for lesser works.  You should be proud of your talent, truly.

I haven't picked up a paint brush other than for house-painting in literally 35 years.  Since I was a little kid.  But I have always loved the visual arts (part of what I always loved about Floyd was the work of Storm Thorgerson and Hipgnosis, as you surely know).

So the wife and I did a silly little "paint this picture while having a beer/wine" thing not long ago.  The painting equivalent of "make your own pottery" I'm sure.  I totally ignored the picture we were supposed to do and did this.  I really liked how it came out, and we did another cone a few months later. 

I'll refrain from sharing the painting, because it's poop compared to your work, but it was alot of fun.  Sadly I have little talent for most of teh art (music, painting, photography) I like most.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm really glad this thread got brought back to top, I rarely hang in this forum, and I missed it completely.  Much to my own detriment.  But I have made up for it with SEVERAL Plus-Reps. :)

Amazing work @freestater, old friend, you're an amazing artist.  Thank you very much for sharing your art with us, it's very VERY good, I've paid good American currency for lesser works.  You should be proud of your talent, truly.

I haven't picked up a paint brush other than for house-painting in literally 35 years.  Since I was a little kid.  But I have always loved the visual arts (part of what I always loved about Floyd was the work of Storm Thorgerson and Hipgnosis, as you surely know).

So the wife and I did a silly little "paint this picture while having a beer/wine" thing not long ago.  The painting equivalent of "make your own pottery" I'm sure.  I totally ignored the picture we were supposed to do and did this.  I really liked how it came out, and we did another cone a few months later. 

I'll refrain from sharing the painting, because it's poop compared to your work, but it was alot of fun.  Sadly I have little talent for most of teh art (music, painting, photography) I like most.

Thanks so much, old friend. Your praise is received with the heartfelt nature its intended, I'm sure. I am thinking of making my debut on the local art scene next season and am hoping to make this a retirement/ getting older sort of income. I'm simultaneously trying to inculcate a niche business of providing large(r) scale custom canvases to local artists. At some point, I think it would be amazing to create art as my only commercial venture. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, freestater said:

Thanks so much, old friend. Your praise is received with the heartfelt nature its intended, I'm sure. I am thinking of making my debut on the local art scene next season and am hoping to make this a retirement/ getting older sort of income. I'm simultaneously trying to inculcate a niche business of providing large(r) scale custom canvases to local artists. At some point, I think it would be amazing to create art as my only commercial venture. 

I have been to approx. hundreds of art festivals, craft shows, local artist displays, local galleries, etc.

Your work displayed here is unquestionably of a quality on par with the best work I've seen at those places. There are several pieces here that, had I randomly seen them at shows or the like, I've have purchased (or at least considered it, only so many walls in a house, lol).

I say definitely give that local art scene a go.  What do you have to lose beyond a little time, and so much potentially to gain.  Making art would be a damn fine way to spend ones retirement, no doubt.

So rather than be a wuss, I'll show you my one (and so far only) painting.  I know it's of low quality, but I liked it so much, and liked making ti so much, and I'm so impressed with your bravery to show your own work here (the internet can be a cruel place, as you know), that I just have to share it with you.  Forgive the poor lighting/shadows.

Painting.jpg.09093986b5b5b5d9f74c2e51c5e4a1a7.jpg

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

I have been to approx. hundreds of art festivals, craft shows, local artist displays, local galleries, etc.

Your work displayed here is unquestionably of a quality on par with the best work I've seen at those places. There are several pieces here that, had I randomly seen them at shows or the like, I've have purchased (or at least considered it, only so many walls in a house, lol).

I say definitely give that local art scene a go.  What do you have to lose beyond a little time, and so much potentially to gain.  Making art would be a damn fine way to spend ones retirement, no doubt.

So rather than be a wuss, I'll show you my one (and so far only) painting.  I know it's of low quality, but I liked it so much, and liked making ti so much, and I'm so impressed with your bravery to show your own work here (the internet can be a cruel place, as you know), that I just have to share it with you.  Forgive the poor lighting/shadows.

A hobby like that is very rewarding......  painting, music whatever.  It shows our softer side.     I like it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

That's beautiful, I love it. 

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Dudes got skill and very diverse talent, 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

That’s nice. Looks like perfect place and time for some cat fishing! 

• Upvote 1

Dude, you need to start putting your stuff in shows... even if you're not selling. 

Sussex County Fair just took in art for their art exhibit.  Mrs Dcat has several in that show.  That's how your rep increases, how you meet other connections, etc.  Your stuff is good.  Start exhibiting it in local shows... usually small entry fees, some free.  Just label it as NFS (not for sale) and watch the gatherings around them as well.  

And based on the main adjective thread title, you will love putting all your awards and ribbons on a wall at home.

Create a website...  if my better half could do it, so can most. 

Like these:

DC fine art

spookymoon site

Start putting your art on Etsy. (see Etsy link in the 2nd link.)  Your art can be sold as prints put on mugs, shirts, blankets, etc. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

anything for sale?

Some is. There's a few intend to make prints, especially the local landscapes. There's some originals i will eventually sell too. 

23 hours ago, Dcat said:

Dude, you need to start putting your stuff in shows... even if you're not selling. 

Sussex County Fair just took in art for their art exhibit.  Mrs Dcat has several in that show.  That's how your rep increases, how you meet other connections, etc.  Your stuff is good.  Start exhibiting it in local shows... usually small entry fees, some free.  Just label it as NFS (not for sale) and watch the gatherings around them as well.  

And based on the main adjective thread title, you will love putting all your awards and ribbons on a wall at home.

Create a website...  if my better half could do it, so can most. 

Like these:

DC fine art

spookymoon site

Start putting your art on Etsy. (see Etsy link in the 2nd link.)  Your art can be sold as prints put on mugs, shirts, blankets, etc. 

Thank you. Just now getting the information for my local shows here. Thanks for the links. 

3 hours ago, freestater said:

Some is. There's a few intend to make prints, especially the local landscapes. There's some originals i will eventually sell too. 

Thank you. Just now getting the information for my local shows here. Thanks for the links. 

Really, I like your art better than a lot of what is seen in these shows.  You surely belong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1