Mac Jones bombs the Pro Bowl Skills competition

Rhg1084

You're all a bunch of Idiots. Did you look at who played QB for the NY Jets and how bad he was ? But its cool to make fun of a rookie who just made the playoffs with skill players I can't even remember the names of.  No way Mac Jones will ever get better right ? But when a QB plays Horrible well he's got that ceiling. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

They have a more talented team over all and a much better defense but the offenses are not terribly far apart other than the QB position. 

Absolutely. Mac Jones is well beyond Zach in his understanding and the way he runs that offense, solid touch on short passes. If he can increase his arm strength he could be a very good QB. If not he will likely win a lot of regular season games and get smoked in the playoffs.

Zach on the other hand will likely never run an offense quite as well but not sure he has to. He could learn the game as it relates to his strengths and his game could be the type a D may run out of answers for or be unpredictable enough to catch them now and then . Personally I would stick with Zach over Mac, because Though I think Zach  has a much higher bust potential, but equally as much boom potential. I just don’t feel the boom part is that likely but more than I think Mac Jones will ever be able to physically carry a team and make those late season throws in shitty  weather. We’ll see. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

You're all a bunch of Idiots. Did you look at who played QB for the NY Jets and how bad he was ? But its cool to make fun of a rookie who just made the playoffs with skill players I can't even remember the names of.  No way Mac Jones will ever get better right ? But when a QB plays Horrible well he's got that ceiling. 

And if Belichick thinks Jones isn’t the goods, he’ll replace him in a millisecond.  Would anyone be surprised if Garopollo goes back to the Pats this offseason? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Absolutely. Mac Jones is well beyond Zach in his understanding and the way he runs that offense, solid touch on short passes. If he can increase his arm strength he could be a very good QB. If not he will likely win a lot of regular season games and get smoked in the playoffs.

Zach on the other hand will likely never run an offense quite as well but not sure he has to. He could learn the game as it relates to his strengths and his game could be the type a D may run out of answers for or be unpredictable enough to catch them now and then . Personally I would stick with Zach over Mac, because Though I think Zach  has a much higher bust potential, but equally as much boom potential. I just don’t feel the boom part is that likely but more than I think Mac Jones will ever be able to physically carry a team and make those late season throws in sh*tty  weather. We’ll see. 

Good post crush, I'm sure both players know their limitations we'll see how all of that pans out over the next few years. Should be interesting but its going to take a lot of hard work from both guys to take the next step and get that big contract when their rookie deals run out

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, The Crusher said:

PFF had him as the 11th best qb in the league last year.  I don't really care if that's ultimately not far from what his ceiling is either, that level of qbing is already a problem and will win them a lot of games for the next decade or so..  Especially since its the sort of thing that does well against Saleh's system.  That methodical, dink and dunk, short completion thing is kryptonite to that sort of system.

I was however pleased to see that he did hit a wall in the winter, and that actually looks like a legitimate weakness.  Some of his throws did not look anywhere near the same compared to when he played us..

Between Allen and him, the AFCE is going to be quite painful in the post Brady era.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

WTF do you always defend other teams QBs with takes that are so wrong?

Then call others idiots.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mac Jones might have been the best prepared QB to ever walk onto a really good NFL roster that only two seasons before was a 12 win team.  Not the normal scenario for a rookie QB.  Arm talent, arm strength, athleticism, running ability etc, cant find one are where Mac Jones is better than Fields, Lawrence, Wilson or Lance.  He was put in a perfect situation and eventually will be passed up by the others IMO

Yep. Dude has an amazing feel and instinct for the game. Gonna be very good at coaching. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

And if Belichick thinks Jones isn’t the goods, he’ll replace him in a millisecond.  Would anyone be surprised if Garopollo goes back to the Pats this offseason? 

That would be great. Then Mac Jones to the Titans to back up Aaron Rodgers for a few years.

17 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Hypothetical.....you put Mac Jones in Zach Wilson's shoes against Tampa and Brady, same personnel, with zero at the skill positions, best option on the outside is a WR4 in Berrios, does Jones come within 15 seconds of BEATING THE GOAT?  Of course not, he gets his doors blown off.

Lets just say that at this point Zach Wilson is Trending Way Higher than he was pre-injury going into Year 2.

Belichick has already shown that he has to hide Jones....3 pass attempts vs Buffalo.

Wilson Ceiling...Sky is the Limit

Mac Jones Ceiling....Game manager with Zero Playoff runs....he's Andy Dalton (with a much weaker arm).

Mac Jones and the Pats vs Tampa Bay 

Mac Jones 31-40 for 275 yards and 2 TD's 1 Int lost 19 -17 to Tampa and Brady So your so called hypothetical actually happened except one little detail Mac Jones didn't get his doors blown off he was pretty good in that game. Zach went head to head vs a division rival and got destroyed both times looking horrible in both games.

FWIW Mac Jones is nothing like Andy Dalton not sure where you plucked this tidbit from but he's noting like him at all.

Also have you looked at the Jag WR's on the Pats Roster ? We arguably have a better Corp. of WR's than the Pats sure we battled injuries but that was mostly at the end of the year. 

Jones had a QBR of 51  putting him 14th in the NFL 

Zach Wilson rolled in with a rating of 28 which put him right at the bottom of the NFL with Justin Fields.

If the Pats want to have a dynamic offense they need to get dynamic skill players and I guarantee you Jones will get them the ball. There have been plenty of game managers who won SB's when surrounded by really good talent. 

2 Pocket Passers who had incredible talent around them and won Multiple SB's Aikman, Montana, Neither one of these guys was a great deep ball thrower Montana had an average arm Aikman had horrible stats yet somehow managed to win 3 and 4 SB's . 

Tom Brady made a career of throwing short to intermediate passes and won a few SB's and he did it with Jag after Jag. Bree's was the ultimate short passing QB with insane comp percentages while completing a large percentage of his passes to RB's. 

If you have a game manager QB like I believe Mac Jones is you surround that guy with talent and you win and you win a lot. Mac Jones (who I wanted the Jets to draft BTW) had an above average rookie year and he did it with Jags. 

One could argue Wilson probably had one good complete football game all season call me when that trend stops . 

Quite frankly I'm sick of the rookie talk when guys like Burrow Herbert and Jones come out of the gates playing really good football and one of them is going to the SB in his second year . 

With all this being said I hope Wilson gets it together because first and foremost I'm a die hard Jets fan but that does not mean I can't be critical of really bad QB play. I'm done hoping I need to see results !

On 2/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, Smashmouth said:

They say the Memory  is the first thing to go.

This year told us two things about the first round rookie QB’s. Mac Jones was the only one ready to start and went to the perfect place to do that. Especially after the Pats picked up the #1 and #6 tight ends in free agency. 

The rest literally has no business whatsoever starting. San Fran held theirs back and made the playoffs. The Jets and Bears did not. 

and? looking good in some sort of phony nfl pregame competition doesn't mean much.  what has meaning is what happens on game day when there are pass rushers, blown routes, bad weather, etc.  i don't think anyone would confuse mac jones arm stregth aith josh allen's or even wilson but he gets the job done.

47 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Mac Jones and the Pats vs Tampa Bay 

Mac Jones 31-40 for 275 yards and 2 TD's 1 Int lost 19 -17 to Tampa and Brady So your so called hypothetical actually happened except one little detail Mac Jones didn't get his doors blown off he was pretty good in that game. Zach went head to head vs a division rival and got destroyed both times looking horrible in both games.

FWIW Mac Jones is nothing like Andy Dalton not sure where you plucked this tidbit from but he's noting like him at all.

Also have you looked at the Jag WR's on the Pats Roster ? We arguably have a better Corp. of WR's than the Pats sure we battled injuries but that was mostly at the end of the year. 

Jones had a QBR of 51  putting him 14th in the NFL 

Zach Wilson rolled in with a rating of 28 which put him right at the bottom of the NFL with Justin Fields.

If the Pats want to have a dynamic offense they need to get dynamic skill players and I guarantee you Jones will get them the ball. There have been plenty of game managers who won SB's when surrounded by really good talent. 

2 Pocket Passers who had incredible talent around them and won Multiple SB's Aikman, Montana, Neither one of these guys was a great deep ball thrower Montana had an average arm Aikman had horrible stats yet somehow managed to win 3 and 4 SB's . 

Tom Brady made a career of throwing short to intermediate passes and won a few SB's and he did it with Jag after Jag. Bree's was the ultimate short passing QB with insane comp percentages while completing a large percentage of his passes to RB's. 

If you have a game manager QB like I believe Mac Jones is you surround that guy with talent and you win and you win a lot. Mac Jones (who I wanted the Jets to draft BTW) had an above average rookie year and he did it with Jags. 

One could argue Wilson probably had one good complete football game all season call me when that trend stops . 

Quite frankly I'm sick of the rookie talk when guys like Burrow Herbert and Jones come out of the gates playing really good football and one of them is going to the SB in his second year . 

With all this being said I hope Wilson gets it together because first and foremost I'm a die hard Jets fan but that does not mean I can't be critical of really bad QB play. I'm done hoping I need to see results !

So we are calling the #1 and #6 tight ends in the league jags? Correct me if I’m wrong but I always though solid tight ends were very important pice for the progression of rookie QB. That and and  strong running game, I could be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They say the Memory  is the first thing to go.

This year told us two things about the first round rookie QB’s. Mac Jones was the only one ready to start and went to the perfect place to do that. Especially after the Pats picked up the #1 and #6 tight ends in free agency. 

The rest literally has no business whatsoever starting. San Fran held theirs back and made the playoffs. The Jets and Bears did not. 

Hunter Henry had 600 yards receiving he's a good TE can you name be some of the Pats WR's without looking them up ?

I can name Receivers for the Chiefs for the Chargers for the Bengals for the Cowboys for the Rams for the Packers for the Buc's without looking but I was hard pressed to remember WR's for the Pats because the Best WR on the team had 800 yards and the entire bunch of them are career Jags. But that only counts for the Jets when trying to prop up our crappy rookie QB "OMG we have no skill players" that's why Zach sucks argument. Yet some how some way Jones was able to have a very good season and make the playoffs with JAGS

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

So we are calling the #1 and #6 tight ends in the league jags? Correct me if I’m wrong but I always though solid tight ends were very important pice for the progression of rookie QB. That and and  strong running game, I could be wrong. 

Yet TE is important but you have to get them the ball ....If Brady was a Jets QB Kroft would have had 50 catches and Griffin would have played well also but we don't have Tom or Mac we have Zach

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

and? looking good in some sort of phony nfl pregame competition doesn't mean much.  what has meaning is what happens on game day when there are pass rushers, blown routes, bad weather, etc.  i don't think anyone would confuse mac jones arm stregth aith josh allen's or even wilson but he gets the job done.

Makings of a tremendous regular season QB right now if his team surrounds him he could provide winning records for a decade.

But, unless Kraft can convince NFL to have all post season games indoors he has a lot to prove later in the season. That’s when his arm strength seem to limit him. If it can approve, kid could be a great one. “ Paging Dr. Guerrero, paging Dr. Guerrero!”  I still see him as a great QB coach one day. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

#1 and # 6 TE's ? Where did you get that from ? Hunter Henry is a middle of the road TE probably ranked around 15th he's a guy who has 50 catches a year on average for 600 yards is he the #1 TE you speak of ? 

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Makings of a tremendous regular season QB right now if his team surrounds him he could provide winning records for a decade.

But, unless Kraft can convince NFL to have all post season games indoors he has a lot to prove later in the season. That’s when his arm strength seem to limit him. If it can approve, kid could be a great one. “ Paging Dr. Guerrero, paging Dr. Guerrero!”  I still see him as a great QB coach one day. 

If one thing is clear Jones needs to work on his arm strength Lets see if he actually puts in the work because usually its a coordination thing more so than the arm itself like turning the hips and using your legs also working out can help. That's one thing Zach does not have to worry about. The Problem is Zach and most QB's who can't process the game as quickly seem to struggle way more than the guy who gets the ball out quick and moves the chains.

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Also lets face it Most QB's do not play well in terrible winter conditions Just look at the game Rodgers had in GB vs the Niners no one plays good in that sh*t so lets not kid ourselves. If you don't have a Running game and a great defense to offset terrible weather and win a January Playoff game in terrible conditions you're not winning anything.

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Hunter Henry had 600 yards receiving he's a good TE can you name be some of the Pats WR's without looking them up ?

I can name Receivers for the Chiefs for the Chargers for the Bengals for the Cowboys for the Rams for the Packers for the Buc's without looking but I was hard pressed to remember WR's for the Pats because the Best WR on the team had 800 yards and the entire bunch of them are career Jags. But that only counts for the Jets when trying to prop up our crappy rookie QB "OMG we have no skill players" that's why Zach sucks argument. Yet some how some way Jones was able to have a very good season and make the playoffs with JAGS

Ok, so are you saying that Zach and Mac both had solid  TE’s to play with? I have to disagree with that. 

Both teams had pedestrian WO’s. Zach rarely  had his entire squad healthy when he was out there.  Not sure how consistent the health of the Pats wideouts were. But I would think I think jag WIO’s could play better with solid tight end play. 

Both boys faired better when the running game  was solid and healthy. Michael Carter II baby! 

Mac’s amazing readiness for the NFL certainly helped the Patriots   installing their offensive scheme. Evident by how quickly Cam became  expendable, yet got to imagine that system was pretty complete before teaching it to Mac. 

Zach was not an NFL ready QB and LaFleurs offense was not a NFL offense in the first half of the year. Hell, Zach had to get hurt for the damn thing to work right. Mike White baby! 

I can’t tell you what the future will bring but I’m excited to find out side by side with you Big Daddy Smash! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If one thing is clear Jones needs to work on his arm strength Lets see if he actually puts in the work because usually its a coordination thing more so than the arm itself like turning the hips and using your legs also working out can help. That's one thing Zach does not have to worry about. The Problem is Zach and most QB's who can't process the game as quickly seem to struggle way more than the guy who gets the ball out quick and moves the chains.

Pliability is the word you are looking for . Call me!

- Dr Mark Guerro TB12

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Also lets face it Most QB's do not play well in terrible winter conditions Just look at the game Rodgers had in GB vs the Niners no one plays good in that sh*t so lets not kid ourselves. If you don't have a Running game and a great defense to offset terrible weather and win a January Playoff game in terrible conditions you're not winning anything.

True. But I thought Pats had both of those things. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Ok, so are you saying that Zach and Mac both had solid  TE’s to play with? I have to disagree with that. 

Did I say that Crush ? 

I'm just saying Hunter henry is no world beater he's a middle of the road NFL TE and he certainly did not make Mac Jones keeping in mind with Mac Jones at QB Hunter put up the same numbers he's put up his entire career 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

#1 and # 6 TE's ? Where did you get that from ? Hunter Henry is a middle of the road TE probably ranked around 15th he's a guy who has 50 catches a year on average for 600 yards is he the #1 TE you speak of ? 

I got it from sources across the web. Well at least they did. Haha My point is couldn’t find any of the Jets WO’s until much much later. 

D3287EA5-F005-4754-839F-63592FD07CA7.png

20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

They had two WRs with 800 yards or more, did the Jets?

A TE with 600+ yards?

A RB with 400+ yards?

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

True. But I thought Pats had both of those things. 

Apparently not since they lost. You can have great stats all year then suddenly in the playoffs vs playoff defenses everything seems to suddenly change. Playoff teams usually beat up on the crap teams in the league then the playoffs roll in and match ups become much closer and some teams happen to throw an elite defense at ya. Its such a different game in the playoffs teams have to pace themselves during the season its a pretty rough game but in the playoffs teams let it all hang out and will play hard till they drop. The real contenders usually show themselves in the playoffs not the regular season

• Upvote 1