Mac Jones bombs the Pro Bowl Skills competition

Rhg1084

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I got it from sources across the web. Well at least they did. Haha My point is couldn’t find any of the Jets WO’s until much much later. 

D3287EA5-F005-4754-839F-63592FD07CA7.png

Hunter henry is the worst TE on that list Maybe you heard he was the number 1 FA TE ?

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Did I say that Crush ? 

I'm just saying Hunter henry is no world beater he's a middle of the road NFL TE and he certainly did not make Mac Jones keeping in mind with Mac Jones at QB Hunter put up the same numbers he's put up his entire career 

No you didn’t. You just called all the Pats   offensive players jags. I felt the Jets  TE were all jags so I thought you were equivocating them. My bad. 

Mac Jones showed up  a solid  QB who can run an offense and toss the short ball like a maestro. Makes sense the TE Pats broke the bank for in free agency had a good year. Mac Jones strutted in paced  to be a solid game manger. They taught him a system that was already close to perfected. He may not have had any stars at wideouts but the Pats  made sure he had what he needed. Kinda the Pats thing. 

• Upvote 1

Let's be fair, Mac Jones isn't really comparable to Zach at this point. Mac Jones came from better competition. That's a point to him. He also had one of the best OL in the nation and 2 of his WRs got drafted in the top 10, plus his RB having one of the better rookie RB seasons. Wilson had an OL player from BYU go in round 3 and his top WR went in the 7th. Jones had about the closest to an NFL experience in college of any QB. He was going to be ready, and it was obvious. When he went to the Pats and they went crazy in FA, It became a best-case-scenario for him.

With Zach, he had easy competition and a good supporting cast but it was clear he had the talent and the ability to do well in the NFL. He went onto a team with a #1 WR that didn't pan out the way everybody expected him to, and a rookie WR that got hurt. I still feel like Zach has a better chance to succeed in NY than Mac would in NY.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Apparently not since they lost. You can have great stats all year then suddenly in the playoffs vs playoff defenses everything seems to suddenly change. Playoff teams usually beat up on the crap teams in the league then the playoffs roll in and match ups become much closer and some teams happen to throw an elite defense at ya. Its such a different game in the playoffs teams have to pace themselves during the season its a pretty rough game but in the playoffs teams let it all hang out and will play hard till they drop. The real contenders usually show themselves in the playoffs not the regular season

Yep, Buffalo had an elite D and elite QB, somethings you gonna lose in the playoffs no matter what you have. But if you don’t have them you won’t typically last past the first game. One and done son, one and done. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

No you didn’t. You just called all the Pats   offensive players jags. I felt the Jets  TE were all jags so I thought you were equivocating them. My bad. 

Mac Jones showed up  a solid  QB who can run an offense and toss the short ball like a maestro. Makes sense the TE Pats broke the bank for in free agency had a good year. Mac Jones strutted in paced  to be a solid game manger. They taught him a system that was already close to perfected. He may not have had any stars at wideouts but the Pats  made sure he had what he needed. Kinda the Pats thing. 

Funny thing other than the few years with Randy Moss the pats have been running that style of dink and dunk offense for 20 years but now that they have Mac Jones it suddenly becomes a thing ?

yes it is kinda the Pats thing that's why they drafted Mac Jones because they knew exactly what they were getting. Bill Belish*t will expect Jones to come into camp having worked on his arm strength and in good shape. Im sure Bill knew exactly what he was getting and it certainly was not Dan Marino or Brett Favre like arm strength

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Hunter henry is the worst TE on that list Maybe you heard he was the number 1 FA TE ?

Ok found another list where he was 10. I’m trying to find a list that puts the Jets  tight ends on it. Uhhhh, errrrr, like at all. 

Ti be fair that first list was the first thing that came up when I Googled it.

So to clear this up how much better are the Pats tight ends are than the Jets? Slightly, modestly, much , ten times  or GFY Fatso? You can pick any two. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

Let's be fair, Mac Jones isn't really comparable to Zach at this point. Mac Jones came from better competition. That's a point to him. He also had one of the best OL in the nation and 2 of his WRs got drafted in the top 10, plus his RB having one of the better rookie RB seasons. Wilson had an OL player from BYU go in round 3 and his top WR went in the 7th. Jones had about the closest to an NFL experience in college of any QB. He was going to be ready, and it was obvious. When he went to the Pats and they went crazy in FA, It became a best-case-scenario for him.

With Zach, he had easy competition and a good supporting cast but it was clear he had the talent and the ability to do well in the NFL. He went onto a team with a #1 WR that didn't pan out the way everybody expected him to, and a rookie WR that got hurt. I still feel like Zach has a better chance to succeed in NY than Mac would in NY.

That's very possible but the biggest question facing Zach is "does he have what it takes upstairs to play the NFL game? " 

And that just so happens to be the most difficult thing to overcome as an NFL QB . because when it comes to processing speed you can only improve that so much.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Funny thing other than the few years with Randy Moss the pats have been running that style of dink and dunk offense for 20 years but now that they have Mac Jones it suddenly becomes a thing ?

yes it is kinda the Pats thing that's why they drafted Mac Jones because they knew exactly what they were getting. Bill Belish*t will expect Jones to come into camp having worked on his arm strength and in good shape. Im sure Bill knew exactly what he was getting and it certainly was not Dan Marino or Brett Favre like arm strength

Exactly Mac went into the perfected offensive system couple decades in the making and was amazingly prepared for it. 

Zach played  hero ball in the mountains at a small school and came into an offensive  system that LaFleur pieced together from friends and family like some weird ass friendship quilt. Nice for  cold mountain nights, pretty shitty for a beyond raw NFL rookie QB. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smashmouth said:

That's very possible but the biggest question facing Zach is "does he have what it takes upstairs to play the NFL game? " 

And that just so happens to be the most difficult thing to overcome as an NFL QB . because when it comes to processing speed you can only improve that so much.

Totally. I just think processing speed can be inflated or deflated based on supporting cast. If players can get open better, the QB will obvious be able to process things faster. Sure, there are obvious parts of Wilson's and Jones' play the show Jones currently has more processing speed, but if you had to pick between the Pats receivers and the Jets receivers (Including TEs) most people would take the Pats'. I bet Wilson has a faster processing speed with Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith to throw to than Tarik Black and Jeff Smith.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Ok found another list where he was 10. I’m trying to find a list that puts the Jets  tight ends on it. Uhhhh, errrrr, like at all. 

Ti be fair that first list was the first thing that came up when I Googled it.

So to clear this up how much better are the Pats tight ends are than the Jets? Slightly, modestly, much , ten times  or GFY Fatso? You can pick any two. 

yeah bro I hear ya the Jets don't have world beaters at TE I was not trying to compare the 2 teams TE Situation mostly the WR's just saying Im not sure how much it makes a difference when talking about a 2 to 300 yard difference at the position makes when you're just playing downright terrible. 

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

yeah bro I hear ya the Jets don't have world beaters at TE I was not trying to compare the 2 teams TE Situation mostly the WR's just saying Im not sure how much it makes a difference when talking about a 2 to 300 yard difference at the position makes when you're just playing downright terrible. 

World beaters? Haha, ok. 

The answer is 298. 

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

If I was betting my life I would go with Mac Jones 100 % of the time

I’d go Mac too. He’s basically a chalk, if he wins you get to buy a a nice dinner with your wife.  Zac is like betting a 500: 1 mount, if he comes in you leave your  wife and spend the rest of your life banging bikini ladies on the Riviera Maya. @slats please confirm this. Thanks. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Easier to learn than the mythical arm strength changes you envision for Jones.  Aint happening, never will happen.  He has a pop gun arm and thats genetics, not coordination.  

• Post of the Week 1

Mac Jones stepped into the best possible situation for a QB - especially a rookie QB. He is on a team that is well coached, with an OL that can protect, and a strong defense. He is coached by a guy I cannot stand, but certainly knows how to win games and make in game adjustments. He was surrounded by players and coaches who know the system/scheme as they have been playing it for ever. He certainly did better than Cam did last year.

Let's be fair - how many good teams did they beat. not-many. how many of their wins did he put the game on his shoulders - not many would be an over statement. Some on this site feel bad for the kid - they guy has commercials about succeeding and when the Pats absolutely spanked the Jags, he was on the sideline acting like a 6 year old bouncing around thinking himself all of that.

While Zack certainly struggled you have to ask how Mac Jones would have played had the Jets or the Jags selected him. Not sure the Jets beat Tennessee if Mac Jones was QB. 

Now, here in NE all I hear about is that this kid is the next coming and that the Jets are a joke - so forgive me if I enjoy the jokes made at NE's misfortunes - this is a Jets sight, no? you don't think they make fun of the Jets on their site? They were called the most miserable fanbase and whine all of the time even when they win... :-)

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Friendly little wager here....Zach Wilson will have a much longer and productive career with the Jets than Mac Jones will with the Pats.

Define "Productive".

Also, I'd probably make that wager, betting the against on Wilson/Jets > Jones/Pats.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Mac Jones and the Pats vs Tampa Bay 

Mac Jones 31-40 for 275 yards and 2 TD's 1 Int lost 19 -17 to Tampa and Brady So your so called hypothetical actually happened except one little detail Mac Jones didn't get his doors blown off he was pretty good in that game. Zach went head to head vs a division rival and got destroyed both times looking horrible in both games.

FWIW Mac Jones is nothing like Andy Dalton not sure where you plucked this tidbit from but he's noting like him at all.

Also have you looked at the Jag WR's on the Pats Roster ? We arguably have a better Corp. of WR's than the Pats sure we battled injuries but that was mostly at the end of the year. 

Jones had a QBR of 51  putting him 14th in the NFL 

Zach Wilson rolled in with a rating of 28 which put him right at the bottom of the NFL with Justin Fields.

If the Pats want to have a dynamic offense they need to get dynamic skill players and I guarantee you Jones will get them the ball. There have been plenty of game managers who won SB's when surrounded by really good talent. 

2 Pocket Passers who had incredible talent around them and won Multiple SB's Aikman, Montana, Neither one of these guys was a great deep ball thrower Montana had an average arm Aikman had horrible stats yet somehow managed to win 3 and 4 SB's . 

Tom Brady made a career of throwing short to intermediate passes and won a few SB's and he did it with Jag after Jag. Bree's was the ultimate short passing QB with insane comp percentages while completing a large percentage of his passes to RB's. 

If you have a game manager QB like I believe Mac Jones is you surround that guy with talent and you win and you win a lot. Mac Jones (who I wanted the Jets to draft BTW) had an above average rookie year and he did it with Jags. 

One could argue Wilson probably had one good complete football game all season call me when that trend stops . 

Quite frankly I'm sick of the rookie talk when guys like Burrow Herbert and Jones come out of the gates playing really good football and one of them is going to the SB in his second year . 

With all this being said I hope Wilson gets it together because first and foremost I'm a die hard Jets fan but that does not mean I can't be critical of really bad QB play. I'm done hoping I need to see results !

Definitely good points.  Personally I wouldn’t want a QB who needs to be hidden in bad weather or when it’s windy and that’s who Jones is.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Your statement that he can learn arm strength and irs east.  That it’s a matter of coordination.  Naive 

Learn arm strength ? Don't think I ever used that word.

Is that what I said ? If you don't think a pro athlete can gain strength by working out you're nuts and you're calling me naive ?

And yes arm strength comes from coordination and good mechanics (its not just about the arm) as well if you don't know that then you should not even be having this debate with me because you have no idea wtf you're talking about.

2 players that worked on arm strength and had visible results were Ben Rothlesberger and Tom Brady and it was pretty obvious they made huge strides in doing so. 

Similar mechanics apply to pitching you can gain MPH on a fastball with a pitching coach tweaking your technique delivery and release.  

11 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Pats fan, name a good team Mac Jones beat this season, I’ll wait…

We've had this discussion before. Don't be a moronic child and call me a Pat's fan and think that win's you some kind of argument you're having in your head. Grow Up then debate the issue