Could Jets Have Legit Shot at Dalton Schultz?

9 hours ago, doitny said:

i think this board has to come to the realization that were not getting top guys in FA. 

everyone ahead of us in cap space are more attractive then us.

Say what?

Jets' DE Carl Lawson: 'The Sky's the Limit'

Lawson was the top Edge rusher that changed teams as a FA last year (Hendrickson was close but he signed with CIN after Lawson left to join the Jets).  The myth that no FAs want to sign here is just that.  There are reasons that make other teams more attractive to some players, but it's far from a universal reality that some make it out to be.   

In addition to State Income Tax, I think roster, coaching staff, market, and obviously money all factor in.  The real difference in salary between NJ and FL is around 5%.  The offers are often farther apart than that, or perhaps just the structure is better in one place.  We may not get a guy like Adams for any number of reasons, but we'll get guys.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The "bunch of other options" part is why he was so productive. They have a tandem of Zeke and Pollard at RB with Lamb, Cooper, and Gallup at WR. Do you think Schultz has 80 catches with 800 yards on the Jets?

Even when Dak got hurt, he still had over 60 catches.   He's a guy who can get open and help a young QB, and help him tomorrow.  He's a guy who will be turning 26, can be a part of the offense for years to come, and is still improving.

17 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Thanks for the great insights.  Appreciate it.

In all seriousness, that’s your opinion, you’re entitled to it and you might be right.

But I’ll look at 2020 instead of 2021 to challenge that.  Andy Dalton at QB, Tyron Smith (pro bowl LT) injured, and a rookie WR in Lamb still learning the ropes.  

The guy showed up and made people know his name and he built on that year with an even better 2021 and ending the year as a beast.

Fan Narrative 1:  Ohio State TE Ruckert is really good but didn’t have an opportunity to shine.  That’s why his stats were not good.

Fan Narrative 2:  Dallas TE Schultz is not that good and only benefited from the attention others got.  That’s why his stats are good.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t reviewed his game tape so I’ll leave that to Joe Douglas and team.  I trust that they won’t overpay but $8M per year seems ridiculously low and is a non starter.

Dude I didn’t mean to be taken too seriously there. Was kidding around. Shultz is a capable TE but this situation reeks of be a massive let down, an overpaid one at that too. His agent is suddenly staring down a nice chunk of guaranteed money and they’ll be looking to squeeze every last dime out of his stat line last year. He’s just not that good. Good. But not THAT good. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

And then there's this guy, whom Jeremiah touted as the best player at Senior Bowl practice. How many people here had him on their radar? I didn't.

UCLA TE Greg Dulcich

Dulcich was the most impressive tight end during the week. He can run and separate from defenders. I think that was the difference between him and the rest of the group at the position. He made some big plays. Trey McBride was my top-rated TE coming into the week, but Dulcich looked like the more explosive player.

He's basically a receiver and would be a great add in the late rounds.  

If we're drafting a TE early, I want the more complete prospect in Ruckert. 

-Sign Njoku/Hurst/Howard to a 1-3 year deal.

-Draft Ruckert early

-Draft Dulcich late 

-Bring back one of Croft or Brown to complete the room with a vet familiar with the system. 

Unless the jets are willing to over pay, a young guy like him that could be in line for at least 2 more contracts, it would be a bad business decision for him to sign here. If an established team can offer similar money, I can’t imagine him signing here where his value could be destroyed. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

And then there's this guy, whom Jeremiah touted as the best player at Senior Bowl practice. How many people here had him on their radar? I didn't.

UCLA TE Greg Dulcich

Dulcich was the most impressive tight end during the week. He can run and separate from defenders. I think that was the difference between him and the rest of the group at the position. He made some big plays. Trey McBride was my top-rated TE coming into the week, but Dulcich looked like the more explosive player.

Just looked him up, he’s listed on one site as 6-3 and 6/8ths. 

He looks closer to 6-3 and 3/4ers. 

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

Say what?

Lawson was the top Edge rusher that changed teams as a FA last year (Hendrickson was close but he signed with CIN after Lawson left to join the Jets).  The myth that no FAs want to sign here is just that.  There are reasons that make other teams more attractive to some players, but it's far from a universal reality that some make it out to be.   

In addition to State Income Tax, I think roster, coaching staff, market, and obviously money all factor in.  The real difference in salary between NJ and FL is around 5%.  The offers are often farther apart than that, or perhaps just the structure is better in one place.  We may not get a guy like Adams for any number of reasons, but we'll get guys.  

Lawson might have been a top Edge but he wasnt a top FA. the guy had 5.5 sacks last year. teams werent fighting for him otherwise we wouldnt have got him. Hendrickson was a different story, and we didnt get him

im not sure i follow you with the 5% difference in salary? NJ has a 10.75% state tax, NY is 8.82% and Florida is Zero.

thats a big difference.

6 hours ago, BurntDice said:

As far as the tax free money in Jax you also should look at endorsement deals. A guy in the ny market likely has many more opportunities to bring in extra cash and have bigger name recognition. To many people they have no idea who 99% of the jags roster is. The jets may suck, but we have multiple guys people know who they are for good or bad. If both teams start to play well the jets will be a bigger headline. Being the #1 wr in ny is a much bigger deal than in Jacksonville with a very small fan base. 

and who is making endorsements on the Jets? even when we were good i dont remember seeing any Jets doing commercials. 

Davis was a #1 last year, how many commercials did you see him in?

and Success matters too. just because your here doesnt mean you get the endorsement. 

and Zack isnt that QB right now to help them get great stats. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

and who is making endorsements on the Jets? even when we were good i dont remember seeing any Jets doing commercials. 

Davis was a #1 last year, how many commercials did you see him in?

and Success matters too. just because your here doesnt mean you get the endorsement. 

and Zack isnt that QB right now to help them get great stats. 

That was 1 year on a bad team. look at Bart Scott, Sanchez, mangold, Keyshawn, Boomer, Namath, etc there are tons of ex jets that had commercials and are on tv. As I said if the jets and jags both have good seasons the jets players will be more well known and will get more endorsements they will also have a better opportunity after football to be on tv. Out of all the former jags who’s on tv? I only know of MJD. The jets have a bunch. Would Mccown be as well known now if he never played for the jets? He’s being considered for hc jobs. Prior to the jets he was just a middling qb 

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

That was 1 year on a bad team. look at Bart Scott, Sanchez, mangold, Keyshawn, etc there are tons of ex jets that had commercials and are on tv. As I said if the jets and jags both have good seasons the jets players will be more well known and will get more endorsements they will also have a better opportunity after football to be on tv. Out of all the former jags who’s on tv? I only know of MJD. The jets have a bunch. Would Mccown be as well known now if he never played for the jets? He’s being considered for hc jobs. Prior to the jets he was just a middling qb 

good point. but there arent many of those TV jobs around. 

National jobs are hard to get. not everyone can be Bart Scott or Key. now locally there should be plenty of jobs like Eli had with that car dealership but i dont see anyone getting those. 

Giants #1 Galloway didnt do any commercials. at least i didnt see any.

for all we know Scott Brunnell could be doing commercials for a local Bank in Jax.

and thats something you should be able to guarantee these guys. doing a local commercial like for Manfredi Auto or Nathans.

there either not doing it or im watching the wrong channels

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He's basically a receiver and would be a great add in the late rounds.  

If we're drafting a TE early, I want the more complete prospect in Ruckert. 

-Sign Njoku/Hurst/Howard to a 1-3 year deal.

-Draft Ruckert early

-Draft Dulcich late 

-Bring back one of Croft or Brown to complete the room with a vet familiar with the system. 

I agree with your plan. I like the idea of Njoku and a draft pick like Ruckert. Dulcich is a bit like Geisecki, which is no small compliment, if he pans out that way. Probably a better blocker, but in that territory. Only reason I posted is that we really don't know yet who will be the best fit for the Jets. All I do know is that we have to build our TE unit. It's a major offensive deficit.

5 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I thought we did until I opened this thread. 

Even if he doesn’t get resigned we can’t put up much of a fight with the Bengals who have more money and better team plus JoeyB

Bengals could just resign uzomah who already has chemistry with Burrow and use their Cap space on the o line and defense. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, doitny said:

good point. but there arent many of those TV jobs around. 

National jobs are hard to get. not everyone can be Bart Scott or Key. now locally there should be plenty of jobs like Eli had with that car dealership but i dont see anyone getting those. 

Giants #1 Galloway didnt do any commercials. at least i didnt see any.

for all we know Scott Brunnell could be doing commercials for a local Bank in Jax.

and thats something you should be able to guarantee these guys. doing a local commercial like for Manfredi Auto or Nathans.

there either not doing it or im watching the wrong channels

I don’t live in jersey anymore so I have no idea  if they are doing those commercials. 

all I’m saying if both teams play well (which neither have been) then the jets players will become much more famous. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, doitny said:

Lawson might have been a top Edge but he wasnt a top FA. the guy had 5.5 sacks last year. teams werent fighting for him otherwise we wouldnt have got him. Hendrickson was a different story, and we didnt get him

im not sure i follow you with the 5% difference in salary? NJ has a 10.75% state tax, NY is 8.82% and Florida is Zero.

thats a big difference.

yes but you get taxed by each state where each game is played.  When the Jets play in Miami, there is no state tax on the salary for that game.  So assuming away games roughly balance out, it's only half the season that really differs between the teams.  Thus, half of the NJ and NY tax rates is the real difference.  Still material, but not nearly 10%.  So if, for example, MIA offers a guy $15M, and NY offers him $15.8M it's roughly the same actual salary.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

yes but you get taxed by each state where each game is played.  When the Jets play in Miami, there is no state tax on the salary for that game.  So assuming away games roughly balance out, it's only half the season that really differs between the teams.  Thus, half of the NJ and NY tax rates is the real difference.  Still material, but not nearly 10%.  So if, for example, MIA offers a guy $15M, and NY offers him $15.8M it's roughly the same actual salary.

Need to start playing games in Belize or Cancun. 

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

Dude I didn’t mean to be taken too seriously there. Was kidding around. Shultz is a capable TE but this situation reeks of be a massive let down, an overpaid one at that too. His agent is suddenly staring down a nice chunk of guaranteed money and they’ll be looking to squeeze every last dime out of his stat line last year. He’s just not that good. Good. But not THAT good. 

Sorry, if there is one thing that gets me going it’s a tight end

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

Say what?

Taxes are even less than that.  

The player is taxed based on the number of days he spends in a state. So if he spends 100 days working in a year and 10 days in a specific state, 10% of his income can be taxed in that state. We assumed that each away game was equal to seven days of work out of 170 for the total season.

• Upvote 1